Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How much oil into Civic engine???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much oil into Civic engine???

Hi...

I was wondering how much oil must be inside the engine... on the oil dipstick, it is on MAX and I think that is the way it should be...

But I heard people are saying that the engine is rotating much harder when oil is on MAX and that it is correct when it is a bit above half between MIN and MAX... that this enables the engine to rotate much easier...

Which is correct???
Old 04-29-2004, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How much oil into Civic engine??? (KKVTi)

4 quarts. but i really dont understand what you are saying.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:53 AM

Default Re: How much oil into Civic engine??? (STREETWERKZ)

OK, when I measure it with the dipstick it shows all the way to the MAXIMUM mark on the oil dipstick... (maximum amount of oil allowed)

But some people say that is too much oil and that it should be somewhere between the MINIMUM MARK and MAXIMUM MARK on the oil-dipstick so aprox. 0.5 liter less than I usualy poor in (3.5 liters)...

Is this correct??? Where is oil supposed to show on the dipstick? on MAX mark or a bit below the MAX mark?
Old 04-29-2004, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in the middle.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:00 AM

In the middle, depends how much oil you have in there to begin with.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:09 AM

Default Re: How much oil into Civic engine??? (Ski11z)

When changing oil... so the beginning is 0 liters... when I poor 3.3 liters it is up to MAX but then when new oil filter pulls, it lowers to the middle...

The manual says 3.5 - 3.6 liters and that is what I do...

I always had my oil up to MAX and never had any problems... my every car was smooth from the very beginning to the day when I sold it...

And the thing is that my friend bought a new Civic (2003) and his oil was on MAX...

So now I am confused...

Some say this, some say that...

Old 04-29-2004, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STREETWERKZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4 quarts. but i really dont understand what you are saying. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen you post nothing but misinformation. If you don't know what you're talking about don't speak! He hasn't even said what engine it is, therefore you cannot tell him how much oil it takes as different engines take different amounts of oil. Quit being an asshat and do some research before you post!

Now to help the owner. What engine is the oil going into and why the hell does your manual say liters? Last I checked Alaska was in the US which doesn't use the metric system. Are you sure it doesn't say quarts? Go by what your manual says. After all, I think Honda knows what they're talking about.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:11 AM

Default Re: How much oil into Civic engine??? (JRI94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now to help the owner. What engine is the oil going into and why the hell does your manual say liters? Last I checked Alaska was in the US which doesn't use the metric system. Are you sure it doesn't say quarts? Go by what your manual says. After all, I think Honda knows what they're talking about. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi!

My engine is D16Y7 all-stock... Since I didn't get the manual with the car, my friend got it for me on a CD downloaded from somewhere and it is european manual... all things are the same just the metric system is different... I used to live with that... I asked for a manual at my local Honda dealer and they wanted $300 for the f.ckin manual... I said NOOOWAYOOOO... and got myself a european one...

And thank you for your reply... I ususally change oil by myself and I always poor in the oil and then check the dipstick... then I poor in until I reach MAX... then I start the car and turn it off after 3-4 seconds so my oil filter can get the oil...

And that is that... I tighten all the caps, bolts blablabla, wipe the engine and that's that... I check again and my oil is always a nail-below MAX after the filter gets the oil and after all the oil poors back into the pan (15 minutes after turning off the car)...

The most important thing is that now I am sure I was doing it right...

Thank you for your replies...
Old 04-29-2004, 05:23 AM

You should put 3.5 qts in a SOHC civic and put like 4.5 in a B16 or any other B-Series motor.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That converts to 3.8 quarts WITH THE FILTER. I always fill my filter half way before putting it on.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much oil into Civic engine??? (MikeNice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MikeNice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should put 3.5 qts in a SOHC civic and put like 4.5 in a B16 or any other B-Series motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

STFU! There are different size SOHC motors which require more/less oil.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:40 AM

According to the Helms manual, for a D16y7 engine, for just changing the oil (not including the filter), add 3.5 qts. For changing the oil and filter, 3.8 qts. For doing an engine overhaul, 4.5 qts.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:42 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: How much oil into Civic engine??? (MikeNice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MikeNice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should put 3.5 qts in a SOHC civic and put like 4.5 in a B16 or any other B-Series motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

******* **** where do you guys come from?

As JRI pointed out, different SOHC engines require different oil levels.

Also the B Series engines do not take 4.5 qts. asshat. They take 4.25 with filter.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:47 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: How much oil into Civic engine??? (97dxnut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97dxnut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">According to the Helms manual, for a D16y7 engine, for just changing the oil (not including the filter), add 3.5 qts. For changing the oil and filter, 3.8 qts. For doing an engine overhaul, 4.5 qts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

See THIS is an example of a newer member that knows what's up.

Some of the guys who have been here forever could learn a thing or twelve from new member like this guy.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Also thanks JRI94 for being one of the few guys with correct info in this topic too.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much oil into Civic engine??? (B18C5-EH2)

Helping with REAL information is not a problem. Also, 97dxnut said it best. Unfortunatly I don't have a helms manual to reference. Now this is the **** that just has to stop.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STREETWERKZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4 quarts. but i really dont understand what you are saying. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you don't know what he's saying HTF can you give him an answer?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STREETWERKZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in the middle. </TD></TR></TABLE>

In the middle of what?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ski11z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In the middle, depends how much oil you have in there to begin with.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Again, in the middle of what? If you're doing an oil change there shouldn't be any oil in there.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Helping with REAL information is not a problem. Also, 97dxnut said it best. Unfortunatly I don't have a helms manual to reference. Now this is the **** that just has to stop.

If you don't know what he's saying HTF can you give him an answer?

In the middle of what?

Again, in the middle of what? If you're doing an oil change there shouldn't be any oil in there.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

he talking about inbetween the 2 holes on the dip stick
as in in the middle or maximum and minimum

not saying that he's right or wrong, jsut saying what he's saying, it's not that hard to understand. stop flamming the brotha
Old 04-29-2004, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much oil into Civic engine??? (Daniel_san)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel_san &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

he talking about inbetween the 2 holes on the dip stick
as in in the middle or maximum and minimum

not saying that he's right or wrong, jsut saying what he's saying, it's not that hard to understand. stop flamming the brotha</TD></TR></TABLE>

A specific question was asked for a specific answer. He's getting owned for posting misinformation. Now you're owned for backing a dipshit that post misinformation.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:26 AM

Hey guys... I just needed some opinions, I didn't want to start samo flaming...

Like someone above mentioned "IN THE MIDDLE" adresses for in the middle between minimum and maximum mark on the dipstick...

Thank you all for answering and sorry if I started something I shouldn't have...

I know APROXIMATE AMOUNT of oil that must go in but I do not know the EXACT AMOUNT... that's why I asked... and that's why I asked what the dipstick measure must be; MAXIMUM OR BELOW MAXIMUM... cos that's the best marker that there is enough or not enough oil in the oil pan...

Again, thanx for all your help... I'm on the right track now...
Old 04-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">STFU! There are different size SOHC motors which require more/less oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude. he should put about 4 quarts. i dont know if he was changing the oil or adding a quart. why don't YOU STFU. A D16y7 should be almost 4 quarts with a filter. usually when people change the oil, they add a new filter. so before you "THINK" you owned someone, you should seriosuly SHUT THE **** UP and THINK. cuz you were just OWNED KID.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A specific question was asked for a specific answer. He's getting owned for posting misinformation. Now you're owned for backing a dipshit that post misinformation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you didnt OWN anyone... you THINK you owned someone... get a life and stop living on the internet.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, when I measure it with the dipstick it shows all the way to the MAXIMUM mark on the oil dipstick... (maximum amount of oil allowed)

But some people say that is too much oil and that it should be somewhere between the MINIMUM MARK and MAXIMUM MARK on the oil-dipstick so aprox. 0.5 liter less than I usualy poor in (3.5 liters)...

Is this correct??? Where is oil supposed to show on the dipstick? on MAX mark or a bit below the MAX mark?</TD></TR></TABLE>

FYI there is no max oil amount allowed ( i had 6 quarts in a b16 before, sure guess i was allowed)

who ever told you this story knows nothing about oil or engines

you should have 4 quartz, keep it there nothing lower nothing more. change it every 3000 miles no rocket science here
Old 04-29-2004, 05:01 PM
spirit R

ha ha

When I bought my old civic they even pointed out to us in the free member course that it took just 3.8 total anymore and the engine could feel sluggish and have lesser fuel economy any less and you could void the power train warranty

since I run 0W5 Neo in mine now I run 4 will no issue, though the motor was well built
Old 04-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much oil into Civic engine??? (spirit R)

7:50 PM 4/29/2004) JRI94: You are a ******* fool and a tool, Holmes
(10:45 PM 4/29/2004) STREETWERKZ: LMFAO dude, don't you got something better to do? If you don't like me...line your POS up and put your money where your mouth is. ******* buster. all tough online, id smack the **** out of you kid.

funny, that dude thought he had something on me when i said 'about 4 quarts'

to you buddy. when we were talking about "DIPSTICKS" i didnt know it was JRI94. and please, take the MIC off your avatar, you cant sing.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STREETWERKZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">7:50 PM 4/29/2004) JRI94: You are a ******* fool and a tool, Holmes
(10:45 PM 4/29/2004) STREETWERKZ: LMFAO dude, don't you got something better to do? If you don't like me...line your POS up and put your money where your mouth is. ******* buster. all tough online, id smack the **** out of you kid.

funny, that dude thought he had something on me when i said 'about 4 quarts'

to you buddy. when we were talking about "DIPSTICKS" i didnt know it was JRI94. and please, take the MIC off your avatar, you cant sing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You are a jackass and I hope you get banned soon. You're really scaring me by talking **** over the internet. I haven't seen one thread that you've posted where it looks like you know what you're talking about. And don't threaten me mother ******.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A specific question was asked for a specific answer. He's getting owned for posting misinformation. Now you're owned for backing a dipshit that post misinformation.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Owned is such a funny thing to say, "Dude, yer soooo owned" hahaha.

Anyway, the guy you quoted in this post wasn't backing up any misinformation, he was just explaining that the original poster was talking about the marks on the dipstick that inform you how much oil is in your engine. So in a sense, you were wrong in your original comments about everything (except how the amount of oil depends on the motor), since this isn't an argument about the actually amount of oil for any given motor, but rather the oil level as indictaded on the dipstick.

Niether of you seem like you're going to get anywhere with this bickering, so maybe just let it go.

Quick Reply: How much oil into Civic engine???