Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   All Motor / Naturally Aspirated (https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/)
-   -   "Oils" Jobs in a motor. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/oils-jobs-motor-2652857/)

DDTECH 09-26-2009 08:07 AM

"Oils" Jobs in a motor.

Lets get some education going..

We all know oil is for lubication but whats "its" other job..

to lubericate and to...?

Here's a hint, it helps cleans your engine.

DC_Legacy 09-26-2009 08:33 AM

Re: "Oils" Jobs in a motor.

Detergents?

I would say oil performs a third function also as it helps to soak up some and I say "some" of the heat from the engine while in operation (like the BVTEC oil squiters acting on bottom of pistons) although unless your using an oilcooler to remove most of that convection then much of that heat is recycled through the engine as oil is pumped through it so theirs probably only a marginal cooling effects from the oil as the oil probably releases much of the convection near the galleys and uptop in the valvetrain area I would presume.

RaceCarRyne 09-26-2009 08:39 AM

this thread is not that informative..

DDTECH 09-26-2009 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by RaceCarRyne (Post 40088161)
this thread is not that informative..

its not? its making you think..

Why does oil turn black..?

Whats oils other job besides to lubericate.. not hard if you think alittle bit.. i even gave you a hint.

DDTECH 09-26-2009 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by DC_Legacy (Post 40088094)
Detergents?

I would say oil performs a third function also as it helps to soak up some and I say "some" of the heat from the engine while in operation (like the BVTEC oil squiters acting on bottom of pistons) although unless your using an oilcooler to remove most of that convection then much of that heat is recycled through the engine as oil is pumped through it so theirs probably only a marginal cooling effects from the oil as the oil probably releases much of the convection near the galleys and uptop in the valvetrain area I would presume.

Your on the right track..
Oil soaks some heat, your correct, but what else does it soak up..

ALLxMOTOR EG 09-26-2009 09:14 AM

Oil is a tremendous coolant. In the engine, the oil cools the underside of the pistons, valve springs, camshaft, rods, crankshaft and bearings. The oil picks up the heat from the combustion of fuel, as well as friction, and takes it away (no matter how good the oil may be, there is always friction). The volume of the oil in the crankcase helps transfer the heat, but where a car/truck is used in high temperature climates, for hauling trailers or heavy loads, an engine oil cooler is sometimes recommended.

Oil serves as a sealant, filling the microscopic ridges and valleys found in any metal surface, increasing the engine's efficiency

DC_Legacy 09-26-2009 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R (Post 40088281)
Your on the right track..
Oil soaks some heat, your correct, but what else does it soak up..

Carbon deposits? As far as the blackening of oil I've also understood the breakdown process of oil to be a combination of heat and molecular shearing from fast moving parts within an engine.

Reguarding detergents in oil heres an interesting comment on how having too little or too much detergent can be harmful with motor oils in some motors.

"Inadequate detergent will result in gum and lacquer clinging to the hotter engine components - too much detergent can cause a build up of metallic ash in the combustion chambers of older engines. In older engines with traditionally high oil consumption, this will cause detonation and pinking.

In older engines where the carbon has built up over a number of years the detergents can also have a scouring effect causing the carbon to flake off, blocking up oil galleries and spray jets. High levels of detergent will "wash" traces of carbon from seals and gaskets, revealing oil leaks."

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9014112&conten tId=7027140

BeniRacing 09-26-2009 09:31 AM

Hate to be "ignorant" and a "kid"

But, seems like the OP is getting his education from the community.

Thanks for starting the thread either way.

DC_Legacy 09-26-2009 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BeniRacing (Post 40088592)

Negative, he's just trying to strike up an intelligent discussion by asking questions first as most who come through this forum are only looking for quick anwers and solutions to their current situations/problems and rarely want to have discussions on their own understandings or findings.

BeniRacing 09-26-2009 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by DC_Legacy (Post 40088624)
Negative, he's just trying to strike up an intelligent discussion by asking questions first as most who come through this forum are only looking for quick anwers and solutions to their current situations/problems and rarely want to have discussions on their own understandings or findings.

Negative? I agreed that it was a good idea to bring up this subject.

DDTECH 09-26-2009 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by BeniRacing (Post 40088592)

..?

Every reply to any thread, is always ignorant from you.. you have it set in your head that your always right and everything you say is just.. that.... i'm trying to start a intelligent conversation. I know about oil.. and what it does and how it works.. majority of this community are asking questions.. "which oil do use in this motor"

Well this discussion is for that.

Oil isn't just a lubericate. If you knew anything you'd know your oil cleans your engine.. it soaks up dirtiness from the motor ... Why do you think oil turns black? Its not because your motors dirty neither.. its from gas getting into the oil..

Oil plays a huge part in an engine and alot bigger then most realize.

Anyone know the difference between regular oil and syn?

non-VTEC 09-26-2009 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R

i sure do....but most have no idea.....and most of the "synthetic" oils are not true synthetics....

DC_Legacy 09-26-2009 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R (Post 40088876)

Without looking it up, I believe synthetic oil has a better or specifically refined molecular structure to help prolong breakdown from shearing and heat that contributes to longer uses between change intervals as far as my understanding...

mafia 09-26-2009 11:45 AM

What good is oil if it last forever, its all about the money IMO. But yes oil cools and cleans the motor.

BeniRacing 09-26-2009 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R (Post 40088876)
..?

Every reply to any thread, is always ignorant from you.. you have it set in your head that your always right and everything you say is just.. that.... i'm trying to start a intelligent conversation. I know about oil.. and what it does and how it works.. majority of this community are asking questions.. "which oil do use in this motor"

Well this discussion is for that.

Oil isn't just a lubericate. If you knew anything you'd know your oil cleans your engine.. it soaks up dirtiness from the motor ... Why do you think oil turns black? Its not because your motors dirty neither.. its from gas getting into the oil..

Oil plays a huge part in an engine and alot bigger then most realize.

Main Entry: ig·no·rant
Pronunciation: \ˈig-n(ə-)rənt\
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century

1 a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
2 : unaware, uninformed

I have correct information and knowledge....

The jobs of motor oil are to clean, cool, seal and lubricate.

Hard to be ignorant when I am "Informed"

h22ej8 09-26-2009 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by DC_Legacy (Post 40088548)
Carbon deposits? As far as the blackening of oil I've also understood the breakdown process of oil to be a combination of heat and molecular shearing from fast moving parts within an engine.

I'll be honest, i know little about exactly what all oil does. However, i don't understand this logic.

My reasoning would be gear oil (85w-140). When it gets old and needs to replaced it doesnt really turn black, so i would think that something in the engine would also contribute to oil turning black.

Granted, motor oil likely sees much higher temps than differential's do on trucks, awd cars, etc.

DDTECH 09-26-2009 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by h22ej8 (Post 40090859)
I'll be honest, i know little about exactly what all oil does. However, i don't understand this logic.

My reasoning would be gear oil (85w-140). When it gets old and needs to replaced it doesnt really turn black, so i would think that something in the engine would also contribute to oil turning black.

Granted, motor oil likely sees much higher temps than differential's do on trucks, awd cars, etc.

Good input :):thumbup:

DDTECH 09-26-2009 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BeniRacing (Post 40090407)
Main Entry: ig·no·rant
Pronunciation: \ˈig-n(ə-)rənt\
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century

1 a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
2 : unaware, uninformed

I have correct information and knowledge....

The jobs of motor oil are to clean, cool, seal and lubricate.

Hard to be ignorant when I am "Informed"

For the betterment of this discuss and the forum reguardless of how big of a twatrag i think you are.. i'ma not fight with you, every thread i'm in you always have something to say, if its logical and contributes to the subject great.. stop taking cheap shots at a person over the internet.. its quite annoying and childish.

DC_Legacy 09-26-2009 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by h22ej8 (Post 40090859)

I should have worded that differently. I'll be the first to say that I know about as much as any average joe when it comes to oil (with a fair understanding of viscosity grades), so with that said the blackening is probably due to carbon from the motors combustive process and fuel as ALL M0T0R mentioned.

What I was unsure of is if the breakdown from heat and shearing from moving parts contributed to its blackening as well.

DDTECH 09-26-2009 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by DC_Legacy (Post 40091364)
I should have worded that differently. I'll be the first to say that I know about as much as any average joe when it comes to oil (with a fair understanding of viscosity grades), so with that said the blackening is probably due to carbon from the motors combustive process and fuel as ALL M0T0R mentioned.

What I was unsure of is if the breakdown from heat and shearing from moving parts contributed to its blackening as well.

so now that you've answered 1 part of the question.. why does this make syn oils better then conventional..

Its because they can do _____________ what better then regular oil ;)

DC_Legacy 09-26-2009 04:25 PM

Last 2K mi longer between change intervals over conventional?

DDTECH 09-26-2009 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by DC_Legacy (Post 40091404)
Last 2K mi longer between change intervals over conventional?

It does last long.. but why..

Answer : syn oil allows for more cooling, lubing while picking up and cleaning more of the engine..
It allows for more "soaking up"

Your right on the combustion process making the oil black.. as well as some gas getting in the oil.. But your right

This is not saying that convential oil isn't good, compared to syn people have perferences.. but this is a good explaination of why syn oil is better then convential oil..

Majority of the time its perference.

DC_Legacy 09-26-2009 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R (Post 40091481)
It does last long.. but why..

Answer : syn oil allows for more cooling, lubing while picking up and cleaning more of the engine..
It allows for more "soaking up"

Your right on the combustion process making the oil black.. as well as some gas getting in the oil.. But your right

This is not saying that convential oil isn't good, compared to syn people have perferences.. but this is a good explaination of why syn oil is better then convential oil..

Majority of the time its perference.

Ima cheap a**, i'll admit it so i usually pick up converntional but I do change my oil and filter ever 3K or sometimes slightly sooner.

Question though, were did you learn of synthetic doing a better job with cooling?

00Red_SiR 09-26-2009 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by DC_Legacy (Post 40091592)
Question though, were did you learn of synthetic doing a better job with cooling?

It accomplishes this through a reduction in friction which in turn reduces temperatures. It doesn't cool like coolant would, in a thermal transfer way, any better than a conventional oil would.

Originally Posted by DC_Legacy (Post 40091364)

Not really, it's more from contamination from the combustion process getting by the rings. The additives in the oil are broken down over time by the heat and shearing which is why it needs to be changed.

DC_Legacy 09-26-2009 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR (Post 40091791)
It accomplishes this through a reduction in friction which in turn reduces temperatures. It doesn't cool like coolant would, in a thermal transfer way, any better than a conventional oil would.

Ahh a factor I over looked, however my understanding of synthetics was always that they lasted longer then conventionals although I've heard mixed claims about syn vs con in reguards to overall friction reduction and increased power gains since most of the propaganda i've seen was always through sponsorships and advertising.

All this talk on oil has me searching for idependant studys comparing the two again which I havent researched since I did a speech report on motor oil in college well over a year ago.