All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

"Oils" Jobs in a motor.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:53 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "Oils" Jobs in a motor.

It's true, real Synthetics do reduce friction and increase power, you just have to do your homework to figure out which synthetics are real and which ones are "marketed" as real. I save time by using Redline.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that they could since the formulation is engineered for added benefits, but would you know by how much percentage wise in a healthy motor, or better yet do you have a link to an independant study showing Redline or Mobil 1 syns vs conventionals counter parts?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you really believe that the reduction in friction is capable of lowering engine/oil temps significantly despite the hot temperatures reached in the combustion chambers averaging about 1600 oF? I was having a discussion with several chemical engineer professors at the college I attend, and they seemed to agree that most syn. oils available at the local auto parts store or wal-mart aren't worth the cash. The based stocks used are low grade, and the only synthetics worth using are those which are bought through specialty shops, i.e. Redline, Joe Gibbs, etc.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:39 AM
All Motor Mentor

Originally Posted by all-mtr-teg
Do you really believe that the reduction in friction is capable of lowering engine/oil temps significantly
Lower them, yes...significantly, no. But that's not really why a person should choose a synthetic oil anyway. The specialty synthetics such as Redline etc have zinc added to them which significantly helps/protects a performance, especially high RPM motor. If you were to combine the advantages over a conventional oil, less friction, more power, high resistance to thermal breakdown, zinc additive for metal -to-metal wear protection, etc you can justify using it and it's cost. In an everyday grocery getter car, these things would be of little benefit and would be harder to justify using.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
Oh, i thought he was joking..

I spun bearings 2/3.. After study it seems it was because of oiling issuses.

I myself blamed it on me, because i tried a thicker / heavier oil to help hide the fact my oil control rings were failing..
I Had always ran mobil1 and .. thats all i'll ever use. You can see by my thread i put up a few months ago, the motor was so clean.. you could eat off of it while it was running.

I switched over to a Heavier oil based on a recommendation from a friend. He was a honda tech, and said they had success in heavier oils.. so i tried it.. i went ahead and replaced the oil pan gasket as well.. Next day on the start up on the way home, heard a light knock.. rod knock.. motor was driven home at under 3k rpms, and was tore down that weekend.

I also believe it was attitubed to over 4 years abuse on a stock bottem end. Countless revs to 10k+, numberous nitrous runs, countless drag trips and what not.
I built this car to be beat on, and i believe it surpassed its lifetime of what i put it through. I wasn't upset, i had been planning on this motor going for some time.
I removed the oil pump and broke it down, with detailled pics.. No, b series oil pumps dont caviation but the gyro's were smooth and not rough in anyway.
I just attitubed the situation to oil because the day after i changed the oil, was the day it started knocking. I live and die by mobil1 , and that is the only oil i use and will use. The oil i put into my motor that night, was not.. and ya..

I find it funny that the authority on Oil...seems to have oil problems himself.

Irony.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BeniRacing
I find it funny that the authority on Oil...seems to have oil problems himself.

Irony.
your dumb as ****..seriously?

its the only thing i could have thought of that could cause spun bearings..

i had oil pressure which was fine, and no problem with the oil pump.I came to the conclusion it had to be some type of oilling issuse..I'm not the authority on oil.. God why are you such a ****en child?
huh? Who the hell are you kid to talk and disrespect me or anyone else on here, what gives you that right? Your not impressing anyone with your ***got *** attitude.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You contribute **** to any thread on here. You take cheap **** talking shots over the internet.. I've yet to see you contribute anything worth a damn but mess up threads.. this thread wasn't about me learning about oil, Hell i already know about oil this was for the countless post asking about "which oil to use".. get a grip.. or get the **** off this site.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a shame when people start threads for informative discussions and then someone decides to interrupt things by being stubbornly negative. if you dont like whats being discussed then stay out. why try to prove what someone else doesnt know??? why waste your time?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I read that mobile recently reduced their zinc content on most their mobile 1 oils, to less than 800 ppm (.008%) which is down from around 1100 ppm (.011%).
Old 09-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You contribute **** to any thread on here. You take cheap **** talking shots over the internet.. I've yet to see you contribute anything worth a damn but mess up threads.. this thread wasn't about me learning about oil, Hell i already know about oil this was for the countless post asking about "which oil to use".. get a grip.. or get the **** off this site.
I am contributing by exposing you and others of your nature that look to bully your way into looking intelligent.

I still have yet to call you anything derogatory, but you insist on continuing.

Hopefully, you will realize that I am no "kid" and your constant projection of yourself upon me is really the childish act.

And you say that I never contribute...but I have already in this thread alone.

Remember???
Old 09-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mobil 1?....not my first choice in engine oil....its probably near the bottom of my top 5 list with exception of one or two of their blends. most of the off the shelf M1 oils are not worth the price tag.

Last edited by non-VTEC; 09-27-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM
All Motor Mentor

Originally Posted by BigBlock22
its a shame when people start threads for informative discussions and then someone decides to interrupt things by being stubbornly negative. if you dont like whats being discussed then stay out. why try to prove what someone else doesnt know??? why waste your time?
I'm just playing the devils advocate here and not trying to enter into the arguement either way but if a person starts a thread to "educate" people on a particular topic, shouldn't they be somewhat of an expert on that topic? If another person can demonstrate that someone is posing to be more than they are and potentially misleading people with incorrect/uninformed information, shouldn't this be brought to everyone's attention so everyone can decide what and who they want to listen to?

I'm not attempting to say who's rite or who's wrong, I'm saying there's a difference between bashing someone and challenging them to back up what they're saying with real facts and knowledge instead of BS. Let the thread continue, let the two parties that are engaging each other continue and the truth will come out which is all everyone really wants right?

Originally Posted by all-mtr-teg
I read that mobile recently reduced their zinc content on most their mobile 1 oils, to less than 800 ppm (.008%) which is down from around 1100 ppm (.011%).

Anything with the "starbust" symbol on the back has little or no zinc additive to be API compliant (most of the mobil 1 brands). They would have had to lower it to meet the new API requirements. The oils like Redline are better because they chose not to comply with API standards and will therefore contain effective levels of zinc.

Last edited by 00Red_SiR; 09-27-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, i thought he was joking..

I spun bearings 2/3.. After study it seems it was because of oiling issuses.

I myself blamed it on me, because i tried a thicker / heavier oil to help hide the fact my oil control rings were failing..
I Had always ran mobil1 and .. thats all i'll ever use. You can see by my thread i put up a few months ago, the motor was so clean.. you could eat off of it while it was running.

I switched over to a Heavier oil based on a recommendation from a friend. He was a honda tech, and said they had success in heavier oils.. so i tried it.. i went ahead and replaced the oil pan gasket as well.. Next day on the start up on the way home, heard a light knock.. rod knock.. motor was driven home at under 3k rpms, and was tore down that weekend.

I also believe it was attitubed to over 4 years abuse on a stock bottem end. Countless revs to 10k+, numberous nitrous runs, countless drag trips and what not.
I built this car to be beat on, and i believe it surpassed its lifetime of what i put it through. I wasn't upset, i had been planning on this motor going for some time.
I removed the oil pump and broke it down, with detailled pics.. No, b series oil pumps dont caviation but the gyro's were smooth and not rough in anyway.
I just attitubed the situation to oil because the day after i changed the oil, was the day it started knocking. I live and die by mobil1 , and that is the only oil i use and will use. The oil i put into my motor that night, was not.. and ya..

what oil was it broken in with?
Old 09-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you make a very good point OORED SIR... let bygones be bygones. but anyways, i dont see the point in running brands like redline or torco unless its being used in a race car. as for mobile-1 and royal purple, the two that i personally like to use. i thought they were suitable for my daily driven car in the past and i will continue to use either one with my future build im working on. all these companies use so many additives with their synthetics its hard to find out exactly what elements are being used and how useful they really are (i didnt know about the zinc being used in oils, nice to know though). i honestly dont look into the flashpoint or the oils viscosity value at what ever given temperature. i just stick to what works for me and what works for the folks running similar setups. i remember reading somewhere that the oil in your engine is responsible for something like 40% of the engines cooling. this is an interesting thread to say the least
Old 09-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by night
what oil was it broken in with?
He quoted that post of my "break down thread" When i was pulling my old itr all motor setup apart.
It spun a bearing after 4 years of complete abuse.. i'd say it lasted a fairly long time, specially on a stock bottem end.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BeniRacing
I am contributing by exposing you and others of your nature that look to bully your way into looking intelligent.
sure bro, i've been around since the start of HT, there's no way to "look" intelligent on the internet.. however, i Do pretty well off the computer. Needless to say your still a ***** but w/e i'ma ignore you from now... your not worth it anymore.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you make a very good point OORED SIR... let bygones be bygones. but anyways, i dont see the point in running brands like redline or torco unless its being used in a race car. as for mobile-1 and royal purple, the two that i personally like to use. i thought they were suitable for my daily driven car in the past and i will continue to use either one with my future build im working on. all these companies use so many additives with their synthetics its hard to find out exactly what elements are being used and how useful they really are (i didnt know about the zinc being used in oils, nice to know though). i honestly dont look into the flashpoint or the oils viscosity value at what ever given temperature. i just stick to what works for me and what works for the folks running similar setups. i remember reading somewhere that the oil in your engine is responsible for something like 40% of the engines cooling. this is an interesting thread to say the least
To me, royalPurple contains too much zinc .. i've seen alot of not so good looking internals after a few months of using RP when abusing the crap out of a motor..

this is an interesting thread to say the least
That was my point of this thread.. Alot of "good" threads that are used and searched for, have been started with a question. I already knew about oil as most of the people who have responded in this thread. However, I just wanted to shed some insight on the different types of oil and what it actually did.. It doesn't have one job, but MANY.. and its great that 90% of the people who replied can have a good, discussion and share experinces.. This thread was started because of the many simple questions asked about oil.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Motul FTW.
If you ever get a chance to talk to the oil reps that stop by peformance shops, chat with them. They're very willing to talk to you about oils. Not just THEIR product but actually compare others and discuss what's best suited for what environments.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He quoted that post of my "break down thread" When i was pulling my old itr all motor setup apart.
It spun a bearing after 4 years of complete abuse.. i'd say it lasted a fairly long time, specially on a stock bottem end.

yes but the initial problem was the oil burning. if you ran tight clearances some spun bearings with heavy oil is no surprise. (i once heard of some dumb redneck with a new ford truck that specified 5-20. he ran 20-50 cuz 'thats what he always used' and killed some bearings, don't know if it was true but wouldn't surprise me.)

anyway.. my point is what caused the oil burning?
i had a mild disagreement with my boss about breaking in a new engine with dino oil and he still couldn't see the point and goes straight to mobil 1 after a fresh hone and new rings.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mobil1 is crap anyhow.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by patriot
Mobil1 is crap anyhow.
Saying something is 'crap' without providing any supporting evidence of why it is 'crap' makes it an 'opinion'. An baseless opinion at that. Now, if you said, "Mobil 1 is crap because it does not have a satisfactorily high zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate content compared to brand 'X' for a specific type of engine, that would be a different story. But simply stating that something is 'crap' doesn't do much for your credibility.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To me, royalPurple contains too much zinc .. i've seen alot of not so good looking internals after a few months of using RP when abusing the crap out of a motor..
What is the effect of too much zinc? How did you know that whatever it was that you saw was caused by too much zinc, or specifically too much zinc in Royal Purple?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only way to really know how well an oil works for you is to get a used oil analysis. Without it your just guessing.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index....d=50&Itemid=56
Old 09-28-2009, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bob really is the oil guy....
good info in that site
Old 09-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I currently run "German Castrol". The guys on bobtheoilguy site say they have good results using this oil. There was some discussion that mobil 1 is not a true synthetic like "german castrol". This oil is cheaper than mobil,royal purple, and redline. Anybody use Eneos?

Quick Reply: "Oils" Jobs in a motor.