Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Can a Sleeved 86mm B Series Engine Be Used As A Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Can a Sleeved 86mm B Series Engine Be Used As A Daily Driver?

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
Thanks for that list. I have a 95 Civic EX coupe with a JDM B20B swap (previous owner). Pretty happy with the B20B however, if/when the time comes to upgrade I am considering a J-swap. The torque spec acrosss the powerband is as much or more important to me than the HP and one reason why a B20 is fun to drive.
Yeah no problem

When planning my swap initially wanted a high revving engine (b16,b18c,f20b) Fun sounding but no torque until higher rpms which makes it painful for DD not to mention reliability issues at 8000+ rpms. Then I wanted torque so i looked into swapping my existing f22b1 and turbo or go h22. Wasn't impressed by having to grind my engine block etc and other problems listed above.

So I was like ****. J swap. It's uncommon and you get 250whp out of the box. That's 250whp/210wtq. Easy. I'm gonna a go with AEM to tune and hope for 320whp/275wtq all motor.

OP, as much as all motor b series sounds, you've come to the correct conclusion. It's not worth it. Imo, if you're looking for something that is 250~whp and it's a Honda and you want quick, reliable, and affordable I'd suggest LS turbo. If you have a bit more money then gsr or b20. You will not like driving b16/b16 tranny because or short ratio, no power until vtec etc.

Good​​​​​​ luck!
Old 04-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 97civixlx
Imo, if you're looking for something that is 250~whp and it's a Honda and you want quick, reliable, and affordable I'd suggest LS turbo.

Good​​​​​​ luck!
👍
Old 04-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Thanks for all the input everyone. Unfortunately I am not/will not consider a J swap for this application, although I've seen some really interesting swaps that utilize that powerplant.

I've come to the conclusion that all motor B won't get me the output I want, H2B won't let me run AC so won't suite me for a Texas daily, and any K swap just has too much cost upfront for me at the moment.

Looking into B turbo builds now again. Just going to keep the power reasonable and try to keep EGT/Bay heat as low as possible.
Ive followed a similar thought process and decided to add a turbo down the road. I've got an em1 and I don't think I can get the performance I want out of my car unless I boost it or swap a 300+whp k and boost is much cheaper.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Thanks for all the input everyone. Unfortunately I am not/will not consider a J swap for this application, although I've seen some really interesting swaps that utilize that powerplant.

I've come to the conclusion that all motor B won't get me the output I want, H2B won't let me run AC so won't suite me for a Texas daily, and any K swap just has too much cost upfront for me at the moment.

Looking into B turbo builds now again. Just going to keep the power reasonable and try to keep EGT/Bay heat as low as possible.
Are there any B turbos for EG that let you keep AC?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
Are there any B turbos for EG that let you keep AC?
Yep, there are quite a few kits that let you retain AC, it all comes down to the manifold design and wastegate placement.

Go-Autoworks has a few, their cast iron log manifold allows room for stock AC setup, and they also have their new "RR" manifold as well as the classic Ramhorn (there's several companies that make AC compatible rams). It's important to look at the differences between those designs though to see how they interact with the space around the condenser and AC lines.

I'm pretty sure people have gone as large as the GT35 frame turbos on AC compatible manifolds for the B series.