Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

WTF.. My battery caught on fire.. flame under the hood =( Help diagnoise problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF.. My battery caught on fire.. flame under the hood =( Help diagnoise problem?

ok so past few days, car has been acting kinda strange tryin to start.. (random times i gotta turn my key multiple times until it actually starts the car) so today after leaving GF's house i try to crank and it makes this wierd noise, and then i see my interior lights go off and then on.. then i pop my hood and see a fckin Fire on the POSITIVE that ocnnects to battery... took out the fire, and see 1/2 of the RED circle thing melted, part of my battery has lil missing piece (burnt?) the lil rubber thing ontop of positive burnt, and WHY DID this HAPPEN is what im asking..

i threw away the lil red circle thing, threw away this lil paperclip thingie that was holding the clip on the positive connector also (guess previous owner used it to make sure the posivite wire stay tight on there) and i took out the fuse to my power wire that would run to an amp.. WONDERING HOW did thsi FIRE HAPPEN and wtf i dont want this **** to burn my hood... is my Starter going bad? Battery going bad? help please.. i own a 95 integra RS.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF.. My battery caught on fire.. flame under the hood =( Help diagnoise problem? (JDM DC4 Jesse

anyone?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: WTF.. My battery caught on fire.. flame under the hood =( Help diagnoise problem? (JDM DC4 Jesse

was there any wire connections maybe miswire, and if i understand u correctly he connected ur wire to the post wit a paperclip then its a high chancethat the paperclip may cause it
Old 11-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well eirther your battery is bad, or your alternator is overcharing it.. but doesn't explain why it caught fire on start up.. there's really alot of things it could be.. without more background its hard to point ur problem..
Old 11-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Extreez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">was there any wire connections maybe miswire, and if i understand u correctly he connected ur wire to the post wit a paperclip then its a high chancethat the paperclip may cause it</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JonGP4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well eirther your battery is bad, or your alternator is overcharing it.. but doesn't explain why it caught fire on start up.. there's really alot of things it could be.. without more background its hard to point ur problem..</TD></TR></TABLE>

allrights. so ive had this car for about a year.. same battery.. diff is did a motor swap and now using a JDM Hmotors Altenator that came with my JDM b18B (had b20 before) and it was perfectly working fine up utnil recently (past 2 weeks) . Last NIGHT was when it was the worst (it was coldest night in SD in past 10months) and when i went into my car and turned it on, all my interior lights went out right when i tried to crank it. then pop'd hood, moved the positive wire around and it started up. but TODAY i did that and when i pop'd my hood, saw a flame... well it melted / burnt the lil RED soft thing that goes underneath it, paperclip was in the lil RING to make it fit Snug /w the Postive.

but now i took out the paperclip thing, the lil red circle thing, and i took it apart, and used a vicegrip to mould it and now its SUPER tight onto the positive thing.. i dont think it can happen again now...
Old 11-30-2006, 06:12 PM

sounds like a bad connection on your battery..

get a new battery, terminals and maybe some new cables for the battery..

check your grounds also
Old 11-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHTFP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like a bad connection on your battery..

get a new battery, terminals and maybe some new cables for the battery..

check your grounds also</TD></TR></TABLE>

of course i did the obvious of checking grounds of starter, altenator, all etc... but i dont get HOW can that CAUSE a FIRE
Old 11-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dunno I ko it is def possible to overcharge a battery
Old 11-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaEMS.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dunno I ko it is def possible to overcharge a battery</TD></TR></TABLE>

ic, this is 2nd tiem fire started, first time was when friend was chanign fuel filter and hit the battery lol.. but that was on my old integra.. i guess it could be from me tryin to crank it too much and that might of caused the fire?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:44 PM

maybe ur cable had a rip and caused a positive and negative touch each other, sounds dumb but its possible hehe.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Extreez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe ur cable had a rip and caused a positive and negative touch each other, sounds dumb but its possible hehe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my cable? which one.. na i checked my lines in my bay.. nothing ripped everything in tact... hmmm so wierd how a fire can start.. =\
Old 11-30-2006, 10:08 PM

maybe just a battery failure thats all it could be. I also doubt it would catch fire if theres water on the battery post. Probably just a failure, just make sure u have a fire extingusher on u from now on
Old 11-30-2006, 10:12 PM

gas from the battery is explosive so maybe a spark/arc occured and ignited it. do you have an amplifier wired up with an inline fuse. i think the battery was weak and and spark from corrided terminals may have started the fire.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM DC4 Jesse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my cable? which one.. na i checked my lines in my bay.. nothing ripped everything in tact... hmmm so wierd how a fire can start.. =\</TD></TR></TABLE>

High current (like when you're starting the engine) going through a high resistance connection (like your crappy positive connection) will cause heating of the connection.

Enough heat and things start to ignite and burn.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stumpyf4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">High current (like when you're starting the engine) going through a high resistance connection (like your crappy positive connection) will cause heating of the connection.

Enough heat and things start to ignite and burn.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agree with this, def. sounds like you had some bad connections.. clean or replace ur terminals and maybe just trade in for a new battery, if it was a warrenty they should pro-rate you a discount.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ic, thanks 4 input, think my terminal might of been lil dirty or loose.