Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

So I suspect my engine jumped timing. I did a compression test and...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I suspect my engine jumped timing. I did a compression test and...

I just want to make sure I did this right since its been a VERY long time since I have done one. Pull plug, insert gauge, crank engine should have compression? Well If thats the case I pulled 30psi on 2 cylinders and maybe 10 on other 2 but would just go away as soon as it came. Would the timing still being off cause this? Just because I bent valves? Thanks alot for looking!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: So I suspect my engine jumped timing. I did a compression test and...

You cranked it once only? Try like 10 revolution for each cylinder.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So I suspect my engine jumped timing. I did a compression test and...

No I cranked for 3-5 seconds each. Would the timing still being off let the air leak out? or is it just plain and simple bent valves?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

10 revolution is like 10 secs. Give that a try. But anyhow how does the car sound? A leakdown test would be better if your leaning on bent valves.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First, pull the timing cover and check the marks, to see if you jumped a tooth, dont forget to check the condition of the belt, and see if it has tension.

As far as the comp. test goes, disconnect the distributor so you have no spark. I have always kept cranking untill the gauge stops building pressure. You need to do this with the throttle body at WOT. If not thats like sucking on an empty 20 oz bottle of soda, your not going to get anything. the numbers should be +/- 10 psi of each other. Another thing that could be good would be to check the valve clearance, but if your not confident in your mechanical skills I would take it to someone with experience, because its real easy to cause damage to the engine if you do some thing wrong. If you have a GSR then you will need a special tool to do this. If you have an LS all you need is a feeler gauge, and basic hand tools.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Guys I will re try again tom the way you guys say to do it.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It honestly sounds like nothing I have heard, It doesnt sound like its even getting any sort of combustion at all. I really need to figure out how to get the crank and cams tdc. Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it sound like the starter spins the engine way to easy? If so the belt came off, or snapped. You can try putting a new one on and compression testing, or even just rotating the engine over by hand and listening for unusual noise, but more than likely the head will need to come off. Its very unlikely that no damage occurred.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

If you EVER suspect the timing belt jumping a tooth or the engine being off time, you should ALWAYS check and try to get it lined up correctly before ever attempting to crank the engine. Not doing so is asking for trouble.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
If you EVER suspect the timing belt jumping a tooth or the engine being off time, you should ALWAYS check and try to get it lined up correctly before ever attempting to crank the engine. Not doing so is asking for trouble.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldnt If I had expected it normally but I got the car like this and the previous owner had cranked a nd cranked and had a "Mechanic" look at it. Even if it jumped time it would back fire and attempt to start right? Im not getting any of that. I have spark but could it still be the famous igniter? Best way to line up timing marks is by hand turning the crank right?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also "If" it jumped timing would it throw a CEL? Because its not showing one.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try the compression test again and do it this way...
1. pull the ecu fuse from under hood to disable fuel and spark
2. take all spark plugs out
3. thread the gauge into cylinder
4. block throttle to WOT
5. crank about 5-8 revolutions
6. remember the numbers and compare to the other 3

if you have something like 120, 150, 155, 150 or something like that then you have a problem in whichever the low cylinder is. if this happens, move on to a leakdown test. they are more precise to determine what could be wrong with your car. leakdown tests take more time and have more steps but its good to do one because it tells you alot more.

and to put the engine back in time you just align the marks on the crank pulley and cam gears. it will also take some time but it never hurts to make sure your engine is in time.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:46 AM
hgt
TRIAL USER

Originally Posted by getnasty
I just want to make sure I did this right since its been a VERY long time since I have done one. Pull plug, insert gauge, crank engine should have compression? Well If thats the case I pulled 30psi on 2 cylinders and maybe 10 on other 2 but would just go away as soon as it came. Would the timing still being off cause this? Just because I bent valves? Thanks alot for looking!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All you need to do is unplug your distributor, pull out all your spark plugs and insert your gauge into each cylinder. I would start from 1-4. And just remember to hold the gas pedal down when you are cranking the motor. Pulling the distributor plug disable's spark and fuel.