Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Hype-R Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (SlammedDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlammedDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Call me a noob or thread jack, but WTF is rev matching?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn I was a bit late but .. Noob
Old 03-21-2006, 10:49 AM
RX3
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (RidinStock)

You guys Missed the point it is cockpit time you do not need to spend. And another chance to make a mistake that could cost you a motor or tranny.

"So here we come to the in my opinion part, where I tell you why I think all
the above work is not necessary. In autocrossing with modern brakes,
engine braking is counterproductive to slow down for a corner. It upsets
your brake balance and does not really help very much in slowing the car
down. So instead of revving the engine way up to make Second while you are
still going fast, wait to select Second until you are going the entry speed
for the corner. The synchros iron out the small difference between the
layshaft and Second gear"http://g-speed.com/pbh/double-clutch.html
Old 03-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (Sam92Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam92Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Coasting in nuetral dangerous/illegal? That's the first time I have ever heard of this ever being mentioned. Can you please explain as to why it would be dangerous/illegal to put your car in nuetral as you slow down to a red light?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Say you're coming up to a light, car is in neutral and you're slowing down. Suddenly you see an obstacle, be it another car, a small animal, a pothole, whatever, and you need to speed up to get out of the way. Would you rather disengage the clutch, put the car in gear, engage the clutch, and go? Or would you rather just hit the gas and go? Of course it's probably not going to happen very often, if ever, but the chance is always there, it could mean the difference between having a wreck or not.

And I know in TN the driver's handbook states that it is unlawful to coast out of gear on a public roadway. And like I said, I don't know how it would be proven one way or the other, but I'm just stating what it says.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Say you're coming up to a light, car is in neutral and you're slowing down. Suddenly you see an obstacle, be it another car, a small animal, a pothole, whatever, and you need to speed up to get out of the way. Would you rather disengage the clutch, put the car in gear, engage the clutch, and go? Or would you rather just hit the gas and go? Of course it's probably not going to happen very often, if ever, but the chance is always there, it could mean the difference between having a wreck or not.

And I know in TN the driver's handbook states that it is unlawful to coast out of gear on a public roadway. And like I said, I don't know how it would be proven one way or the other, but I'm just stating what it says.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that makes sense, and it would be hard to enforce/prove. i coast alot coming/going to work to save gas. i cross over a mountain on my daily commute and i just let gravity do all the work for me once i cross over the pass. usually i can coast at 70+ for at least 15 miles or more.

i could probably coast further, but that is where i have to exit.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Trial User

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (RX3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RX3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You guys Missed the point it is cockpit time you do not need to spend. And another chance to make a mistake that could cost you a motor or tranny.

"So here we come to the in my opinion part, where I tell you why I think all
the above work is not necessary. In autocrossing with modern brakes,
engine braking is counterproductive to slow down for a corner. It upsets
your brake balance and does not really help very much in slowing the car
down. So instead of revving the engine way up to make Second while you are
still going fast, wait to select Second until you are going the entry speed
for the corner. The synchros iron out the small difference between the
layshaft and Second gear"http://g-speed.com/pbh/double-clutch.html</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'd rather be finished doing my downshifting and everything before turn in and concentrate on hitting my apex rather than fumbling with the clutch and shifter through the turn.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (aZnjCC)

Rev matching... first time i've ever heard of it. I guess i'll try it tommorrow.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Semper Fidelis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (-Todd-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FlatBlackTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn I was a bit late but .. Noob </TD></TR></TABLE>
Eat a dick

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And I know in TN the driver's handbook states that it is unlawful to coast out of gear on a public roadway. And like I said, I don't know how it would be proven one way or the other, but I'm just stating what it says.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I live in TN and didn't know anything about it, but it does kinda make sense. However I would love to see a cpo/judge/lawer prove that you had it in nuetral.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:13 PM

Does coasting while driving down a hill hurt the car at all?? I had heard from somewhere that coasting hurts the car because the gears are still spinning yet no fluid is getting moved around in there... true or not??
Old 03-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: (nObOdy65)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nObOdy65 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does coasting while driving down a hill hurt the car at all?? I had heard from somewhere that coasting hurts the car because the gears are still spinning yet no fluid is getting moved around in there... true or not??</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha if the gears are spinning, fluid is moving around. When you coast (clutch engaged but in neutral) then you have the "layshaft" spinning relatively slow inside the tranny (spinning essentially at engine idle speed) while the gear shafts are spinning much faster (road/wheel/axle speed), all inside the same tranny bellhousing. I don't know if this could cause any problems, but that's what happens when you do that.

I would say coasting down a mountain road is extremely dangerous/unsafe. You have no control over speed when doing this, other than brakes. It's usually accepted that you should downshift to the next lower gear when descending a mountain road so you don't burn up your brakes, but you can also maintain/control a safe speed.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

hahaha if the gears are spinning, fluid is moving around. When you coast (clutch engaged but in neutral) then you have the "layshaft" spinning relatively slow inside the tranny (spinning essentially at engine idle speed) while the gear shafts are spinning much faster (road/wheel/axle speed), all inside the same tranny bellhousing. I don't know if this could cause any problems, but that's what happens when you do that.

I would say coasting down a mountain road is extremely dangerous/unsafe. You have no control over speed when doing this, other than brakes. It's usually accepted that you should downshift to the next lower gear when descending a mountain road so you don't burn up your brakes, but you can also maintain/control a safe speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would agree if you are driving down a very steep curvy road. or a mountain road you are unfamiliar with. where i used to work (another mountain) the road was like 30 or 40 degrees incline and curvy as hell. that i would not want to do in neutral because you would have to ride the brakes all the way down and would be just downright dangerous.

this road however is very straight and the grade is not extreme at all going to work. it is fairly gradual and tapers off to a really gentle incline, so i can just maintain my speed with very minimal use of the brakes. on the way back home it is not very straight and the grade is not as gentle, so i just keep it in gear.

however this idea about the layshaft and gear shafts spinning at different speeds has got me thinking, so i may just start keeping it in gear now anyways though.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:00 PM

so there is no damage to anything when coasting out of gear.?
Old 03-21-2006, 10:06 PM

Default Re: (nObOdy65)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nObOdy65 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so there is no damage to anything when coasting out of gear.?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:21 PM
Trial User

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (sydegsr)

Just now learning how to rev match but like the original poster concerned about doing damage if I do it wrong. 2nd gear seems to be the hardest to master.Does lurching do more harm to drive train while Im learning?
Old 06-18-2017, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny?

Newer cars have electronic Rev matching. I also do it when necessary. Putting a car in neutral, is smart if you are trying to turn on ice. If you try to make a low speed turn in gear, you'd slide straight, but in neutral, your more likely to make the turn. It works effectively, at least at low speeds on flat terrain.