Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Electrical Issue

Old 03-31-2019, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issue

Hi guys so long story short i was driving a few months back and the car died, i suspected it was a oil in the spark plug hole as the seal wasnt that great, so it wasnt getting sparks sure enough there was...

Engine B18B2 (B18 LS)

The car was due for timing belt anyways, so pulled the motor out, changed the head with a reco'd one cause the old one had seal and smoke issues, also set all the valve lash as per specs

Intake: 0.003" - 0.005" (0.08mm - 0.12mm)
Exh: 0.006" - 0.008" (0.16mm - 0.20mm)

And while the motor was out, id put the turbo on it as well... For now i would run it with the stock ECU so i can atleast move the car in and around the place, whilst the inter cooler was disconnected, so atleast i can drive it down the road with the factory injectors as well.

Dropped the motor in and fluids, went to start it, no start, cranked for a good 10 seconds no start.... next day same but kept the throttle opened a bit like a carbie engine, and started, got the timing light on the belt and timed it to the red mark as per what B18B engines are, the red mark on the pulley no issues

So now the fun part... the car didnt want to idle, horrible idle, like it had cams, id rev it to 2k rpm, it didnt like it, surged and when backed off it would want to die, i would bleep the throttle to 2k rpm, it would surge and back fire through intake and want to die

when driving it surges hard, hit 2k rpm it falls flat on its face, back off and slowly revs over... foot flat on accelerator, it wont rev over 4k at all.. .if you slowly rev it out it will go pass 4k

New items:
Fuel pump and fuel filter
intake manifold gasket
turbo kit...
timing belt kit

Things i have tried:
Checked all grounding points, (thermo state, GB housing and Cam Cover) Even added a 4th grounding.
Set of injectors 240cc... Still no change, changed for 2 other sets still same problem
Changed Map sensors, no changed from 2 other
Changed TPS with H22, D16Y4 and D16W, I even calibrated them as per instructions, Idle: 0.45v WOT 4.5v, still same problem ( could all 3 tps be faulty? I do have a new one coming in)
Swapped out the factory TB with a ITR from 99 with the factory map and TPS, still same issue, the ITR reads idle, 0.42v and Wot 4.3v (that was from a running Car too)
Cleaned IACV
Checked for vac leaks, no leaks, as the idle doesnt hunt up and down
changed all vac hoses

Im ready to burn this thing to the ground, i have a tuner booked in Easter week... so dont have long to go..... Im really out of ideas

Dizzy? i wouldnt have figured because sometimes it still sending sparks to all 4 cylinders and can still idle and rev, but not 100 percent about that

Worse case i can take it to a mechanic, but i feel like its such a simple thing im missing thats giving me grief
Old 03-31-2019, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Electrical Issue

Sounds like you didn't put the timing belt on right, I bet you $100 your cam gears are off 1 or 3 teeth! Take off the VC and use a ratchet and rotate the crank manually until the cam gears line up at TDC, the arrows must face perfectly straight up while the lines on the sides line up perfect with each other! then verify the crank pulley is lined up with the oil pump mark then you will confirm the engine is at TDC and can move on from there, but deff sounds like your mech timing is off! Better hope you didn't screw the engine up! that's why the ECU goes into limp mode so you cant rev it past a certain RPM cause that's when the fun starts!
Old 04-01-2019, 10:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another way to get cams at TDC for B18B1, there are holes on the cam caps and cams. They line up, and you can put in a small allen key through it to keep the cams from moving.

I also had a surge too after my TB change, but it was from not cleaning my throttle body surfaces properly before putting it on, and was leaking air there. Cleaned it up, threw it back on with the Mahle gasket, and ran like champ.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have taken valve cover off and verified the timing again, all the markings line up with TDC no problems...

I have also plugged in my P28 Neptune RTP and loaded a base map for some data... the tps when closed sits on -6 percent and on WOT is 95 percent... could this be enough to throw it out?

Possible the dizzy is playing up?

thanks guys