Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Anybody heard of this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody heard of this problem?

Okay this is hard to explain but I will try so that it makes sense. When I am diving my manual Integra when I am in first or second gear and coming to a stop with the car in gear as it slows down it lunges really hard below 1500 rpms. If I let of the gas at 3000 rpms its smooth all the way till 1500rpms and then it lunges forward hard. It is bad enough that it will jerk the passenger! It has done ever since I bought it last summer but I have always wondered why it did it. Is there a part that may fix this?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WTH, quit downshifting so much. Just step on the clutch and put your car into neutral when coming to a stop.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you engine braking? Just put it in neutral and come to a stop.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by all-mtr-teg
Why are you engine braking? Just put it in neutral and come to a stop.
x2 save your gas put it in neutral when coming to a stop
Old 12-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm.. ok since no1 else is attempting to help you with your problem... i will try haha
there could be a couple things just off the top of my head.. first thing could be a broken engine mount (i HAVE had this problem before but not as seriously as you...) it only occured when i would let off the gas from a hard(er) acceleration in first and second gear, my car would jerk and i would hear a thudding sound in my engine bay. **might not be it**

option2 would be a rough idle problem which i highly doubt but it could be easily looked into by cleaning off your FITV (Fast Idle Thermo Valve) which is also a problem i had on a previous teg, it makes your idle jump and (in my case at least) it is normally from the 1500 to 2300 rpm range. So, similar rpm range makes me think this could be possible but then again it wouldnt cause a jerk in the car.. your problem is strange dude haha..

At any rate, your best bet to solve the problem is to take it to either a trusted shop or acura and say "WtF??" to the techs and explain your problem. More than likely if its happening in your car its happened to someone else (the law of averages :D)

Hope this helps, and please if anyone can critique my advice do so, lets help a brotha out! and goodluck man!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all of your gears (maybe except for first) will jerk and eventually stall when its under 1500 rpm. just hit the clutch when your this low in rpm to avoid stalling and embrassing yourself on the road.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DcLs
x2 save your gas put it in neutral when coming to a stop
This is incorrect. Most fuel injected cars will shut off injectors and use ZERO gas when the car is in gear and the throttle is closed, down to a certain RPM. On Integras, it shuts of injectors while in gear until you get below 1000 rpm. So leaving the car in gear and using the brakes, waiting until you get below 1000 rpm before taking it out of gear, will get you the best MPG. Putting it in neutral way earlier will actually use more gas as the engine runs at idle while slowing down.

Originally Posted by halocore
all of your gears (maybe except for first) will jerk and eventually stall when its under 1500 rpm. just hit the clutch when your this low in rpm to avoid stalling and embrassing yourself on the road.
My car does not exhibit this behavior. It doesn't start to jerk and stall until it gets down to maybe 700-800 rpm while still in gear. I'm not real sure what the problem could be, unless I were able to experience if myself.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the answers Zappythebum and PatrickGSR94! I do know how to drive a stick so for the other people that is not the problem I was just giving an example. The problem just occurs when it is slowing down below 1500 rpms even when I disengage the clutch it does it so maybe that info might help a little bit when it come to solving the problem.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

goodluck!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=PatrickGSR94;36704756]This is incorrect. Most fuel injected cars will shut off injectors and use ZERO gas when the car is in gear and the throttle is closed, down to a certain RPM. On Integras, it shuts of injectors while in gear until you get below 1000 rpm. So leaving the car in gear and using the brakes, waiting until you get below 1000 rpm before taking it out of gear, will get you the best MPG. Putting it in neutral way earlier will actually use more gas as the engine runs at idle while slowing down.

sorry if i dont get this but while ur slowing down in neutral isnt that suppose to save you more gas because ur not stepping on the gas? because if u downshift and using brake to slow down, while ur in rpm doesnt that mean throttle is open?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no because the throttle cable is linked to your gas pedal which is connected to your throttle body. if you dont step on the gas pedal it doesnt open up the TB and doesnt account for gas. RPMs dont mean gas consumption
Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I havnt read all the posts so sorry if its been said already.
It will most likely be the TPS is reading open when its closed.
What the car will be doing is seeing on the MAP that theres full vac so it will be turning the injectors off and switching to coloum 0 in the fuel maps, But the it see the TPS is reading the throttle open so it gives a burst of gas when the engine starts to get into low revs.

My car does it at 2000-2300rpm with reading 5% TPS open but I have to have that so it reads 100% at WOT. Just one of the joys of after market TPS's
Old 12-16-2008, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DcLs
sorry if i dont get this but while ur slowing down in neutral isnt that suppose to save you more gas because ur not stepping on the gas? because if u downshift and using brake to slow down, while ur in rpm doesnt that mean throttle is open?
When your foot is off the pedal (throttle closed) and the car is in gear, then the engine is being run by the transmission, which in turn is being run by the car's forward momentum while it's in gear.

That's why the car feels like it lugs really bad if you just let it slow all the way down while in gear. The injectors come back on below 1000 rpm to try to keep the engine running, but the weight of the car slowing down will run the engine down even slower and slower until it dies, and then the car starts jerking really bad. This is because the car is moving so slowly at this point that the car's momentum can't overcome the engine's cylinder pressures built up inside due to the engine not running anymore.

The instant you release the clutch to take the car out of gear (while still above 1000 rpm), the injectors will come back on to keep the engine idling, or if you open the throttle again, the injectors will come back on again and the engine will again drive the transmission (instead of vice versa while throttle is closed) and the car will start accelerating again.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay that makes sense. I just don't understand why it lunges so badly. I will try what majinsoftware said about the tps sensor I'm going to pick up a multimeter and check the voltage on to see if it is working properly. Thanks for your continued help guys I think we almost have this one figured out.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bingo found the problem! Its the tps. I unplugged it a moment ago and took a drive and the lunging was gone. Plugged it back in and it did just like it always does. So it appears the problem is a faulty tps. Would a tps of a 90-93 integra work cause I have one of them laying around. Also do I have to adjust it when I get it on. The one I'm going to be using is oem so wouldnt it just bolt right up?

Last edited by Tip14; 12-16-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StokelesS_g2
WTH, quit downshifting so much. Just step on the clutch and put your car into neutral when coming to a stop.
Amen!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:51 AM
They let me pick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
This is incorrect. Most fuel injected cars will shut off injectors and use ZERO gas when the car is in gear and the throttle is closed, down to a certain RPM. On Integras, it shuts of injectors while in gear until you get below 1000 rpm. So leaving the car in gear and using the brakes, waiting until you get below 1000 rpm before taking it out of gear, will get you the best MPG. Putting it in neutral way earlier will actually use more gas as the engine runs at idle while slowing down.

My car does not exhibit this behavior. It doesn't start to jerk and stall until it gets down to maybe 700-800 rpm while still in gear. I'm not real sure what the problem could be, unless I were able to experience if myself.
If there was still a thumbsup I would give you that and an ebeer. Almost everyone else in this thread is a moron.