Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

AC On and Off Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC On and Off Auto?

Hi,

Is there a such thing that your AC will shuts off and then go On again if it feels that its too hot.

I don't want to keep on turning the AC button just to do that.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:37 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: AC On and Off Auto?

The CL has climate control like that if I recall. You can do the fun swap between the two cars.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NO, but it will shut off if the system is low on refrigerant, there is a cut off switch that senses pressure, if its too low the ecu will shut off the a/c compressor. Now even if that were the case the A/C light inside the car should stay on, if it is flickering on and off then there is probably an internal problem with the climate control or the connection at the compressor. Check the connector for unwanted moisture. Theres also a low pressure switch that prevents the lines from freezing that can shut off the compressor interminently, but normally the compressor will shut off and restart on its on with a good a/c system to prevent the lines from freezing, and help with fuel economy.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The auto climate controls rarely turn the A/C off. It will normally just adjust the temperature (by blending the cold air with warm air from the heater) and fan settings. It doesn't leave the temp at the coldest setting.

From the sound of it, this is my guess as to what you're doing. You leave the temp at it's coldest setting, turn the fan speed down as it gets colder, and then when you're too cold you just hit the A/C button. It starts to get warm again, and you hit the A/C button again.

My advice to you is to change the temperature setting as the interior of your car cools down. You'll then reach a point where you don't have to touch anything.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by philadd

From the sound of it, this is my guess as to what you're doing. You leave the temp at it's coldest setting, turn the fan speed down as it gets colder, and then when you're too cold you just hit the A/C button. It starts to get warm again, and you hit the A/C button again.
Yup. But I do not turn down the fan. I just turn it off with the AC.

But turning the fan On is like having an AC right? Does this actually help my mileage, i do alot of long distance travel.

This is one reason I do not turn the AC or Fan on unless its necessary, either I have the window open or the vent open so i can have cold air from outside.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The A/C compressor is always cycling on and off when the A/C button is on. It doesn't stay on constantly. With that being said, you're not really saving any gas by turning it on and off on your own.

Not using the A/C at all will save you 1 or 2 mpg, but having your windows open will driving at highway speeds will completely negate that, if not make it worse. The fan itself will not affect your mileage, so no worries about that one.

Try leaving the fan at it's lowest setting (but not off obviously), adjust the temp **** to a warmer temp until you are comfortable, all the while leaving the A/C button on. You should not notice a difference in mileage. If there is, it won't be much.