Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

EK Converted RHD - Vin/title issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK Converted RHD - Vin/title issues

Big help needed, Will go on and list the info before I ask for help on what I should do.

Car purchased state - Indiana
My resident state - Kentucky
Purchase date - 9-17-10 (Title was also Signed/printed/dated from the previous the same day)
Actual mileage - 172,836 Miles
Price - 1000.00$

Okay, So this was my 17th birthday gift and the car had a blown up motor from the start. Kentucky laws state the car must be inspected if the car is out of state (inspection checks - Dash vin, Headlights, tail lights, turn signals and has to run). Spoke to a Sheriff at the local DMV before I started the rhd and he said to make sure the original vin plate was visible inside the windshield after it was finished. So the car didnt start or run at the time of purchase so basically a rolling shell. Motor was pulled, front rad clip (was wrecked) replaced, and rhd firewall conversion was started within the first months. Title still in previous owners name ( which he said he didnt mind because I would be the one paying the taxs once I transferred it). Rhd was completed and engine bay shave is still in progress. So this is where Im currently screwed at and need help... There are still a few vins left on the vehicle, 1 on the rear hatch and 1 still on the steering column and 1 on the rear bumper and maybe under the car or somewhere else. The dash vin was removed to go on the new rhd dash and I cant currently find it which was lost during moving to my new house. Also all of the door jamb vins were removed as the car was getting prepped for paint.
So im currently lost on what I should do, I have the title still in hand, the car isn't/wasn't stolen before anyone says that...

The car is now nearing completion and I don't know what I should do. I have spent 2 years working on this car and have spent ALOT of money on it and into it. I figured I'd post here before I went this week to speak to the local dmv about my situation.

Build thread from the very beginning is HERE - https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/my-ek-hatch-build-progress-thread-2840784/
Old 01-16-2012, 07:55 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: EK Converted RHD - Vin/title issues

So you swapped VIN tags? Isn't that illegal? I think you need to speak to your DMV, inspection and local law enforcement an stop messing around with strangers on a n forum.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
So you swapped VIN tags? Isn't that illegal? I think you need to speak to your DMV, inspection and local law enforcement an stop messing around with strangers on a n forum.
agreed, not sure u should be shaving vins, LEO's will not like the situation and have the option to just take the car from you... or just make it a track car...
i know scrap and salvage licensed businesses are able to do this sort of stuff... not regular civi's...

my speculation...
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you swapped firewalls and didn't keep the american vin you just screwed up. That's how they stopped my registration on my rhd conversion. Take it to a dmv that never deals with these kind of cars and try registering it. That's what my bro did with mine in nevada and it worked out.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go to a state nearby that doesnt check your actual vehicle vins. I live in florida, you just show them the title in your name at the dmv and they register it and give you a plate. they dont even look and see if you have the actual vehicle.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why didn't you register the car before starting the conversion? You should have spoke with someone long before wasting your time. I asked about dash swapping when I was having my car inspected recently and the officer told me to bring the car down and let him see it before I even remove the original dash.