Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Safe to buy this EK?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe to buy this EK?

Okay Here is my situation, I was looking to buy this EK 1997 with 86K. The Seller says that he is a license dealer that works by appointments. He has a website and everything ( www.nwautocreations.com) Seems legit. I went to go look at the EK later on to test drive it with my friend. Everything seems cool, no real problems car seems clean. So i jotted down the VIN number, and went home to CarFax it, the car fax said, not salvage title, junk, rebuilt guranteed. No odometer guranteed. but there an accident on 4/9/09

04/09/2009 Washington
Police Report
Case #2997249 Accident reported
in King County
Vehicle involved in crash
with another motor vehicle
Involving left side impact

05/18/2009 86,748 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Pacific Northwest Region
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

When I checked out the vehicle it seemed fine, I asked the guy if I can take it to my mechanic he said sure. So I mean do you guys think its safe to look more into this car to check if the frame was damage or anything? He seems like a pretty legit guy? Any advice or tips and does anybody know what the auto action thing is? Since its not salvage or rebuilt?

THANKS for reading!! any advice tips would greatly help!!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Safe to buy this EK?

if cars sit on the lot for to long dealers put them through an auction. there are diffrent kind of auctions. some dealers choose to set the price really low ebay style and whatever they get...that is what they get.

other dealers like to have a "reserve" if you will. they will start low but they have a set price that must be meet. the highest bidder doesnt know the reserve but highest bidder and dealer may choose to settle for a set amount.

that car was involved in a wreck.. big deal. does it drive straight? lines match up?

when the dealer bought it or insurance sold it or whatever they then took the car through the auction. the dealer proably got it pretty cheap and then it would appear as to sat on a lot for a month and a half.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The car will be salvaged if the damage incurred exceeds the value of the car. If there was a fender bender and it was fixed without insurance or for a low cost, the car will not be salvaged.

You can look for evidence of the crash; see what was replaced (there are VIN tags all over the sixth gen Civic body panels) and see if everything was put back together correctly (body parts lining up, things working as they should).
Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey thanks for feedback guys, I mean It wasn't at a lot, the guy says he works by appointments and he met me at the parking lot of my work. Should I ask him for proof of license dealer? or ask him more information about his dealership.
I mean I test drove the car, and there appears to be no problems when driving. The only thing is when you close the driver door, it rattles a little.

I don't get the whole auction thing still though, If the car wasn't a total loss, salavage or junked, how did it go from the owner's car getting in an accident to being sold at the auction after the Accident?

THANKS for the feedback so far though guys!!

Last edited by dth0ng69; 07-02-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

look under the hood at the radiator support usually if it was wrecked bad, it wont ever be straight again, i could tell on mine i pull mesurments from each side my passanger side was like 1/4 inch futher in then my right.

Usually auctions dont mean anything, It could be anything from, the guy who owned it was driving illegally and got it impounded, to a dealer auctioned it off due to un sold.

If it got sold immediately after the wreck, he probbly didnt have a license got it impounded or was carrying dope. alot of wierd **** happens.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the original owner could have been wanting a new car ironically before he had a accident. Got the car fixed and traded it in at a new dealership. New dealerships don't like keeping "older" cars on the lot so they put them through a auction for whole sale price, and used car lots will take cars they cant sale due to no interest to a auction to get what little money they have in it to purchase another vehicle to turn a profit quicker. A large majority of used cars go through auctions, its not a bad thing.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dth0ng69
Okay Here is my situation, I was looking to buy this EK 1997 with 86K. The Seller says that he is a license dealer that works by appointments. He has a website and everything ( www.nwautocreations.com) Seems legit. I went to go look at the EK later on to test drive it with my friend. Everything seems cool, no real problems car seems clean. So i jotted down the VIN number, and went home to CarFax it, the car fax said, not salvage title, junk, rebuilt guranteed. No odometer guranteed. but there an accident on 4/9/09

04/09/2009 Washington
Police Report
Case #2997249 Accident reported
in King County
Vehicle involved in crash
with another motor vehicle
Involving left side impact

05/18/2009 86,748 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Pacific Northwest Region
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

When I checked out the vehicle it seemed fine, I asked the guy if I can take it to my mechanic he said sure. So I mean do you guys think its safe to look more into this car to check if the frame was damage or anything? He seems like a pretty legit guy? Any advice or tips and does anybody know what the auto action thing is? Since its not salvage or rebuilt?

THANKS for reading!! any advice tips would greatly help!!
can you do me a favor and search a car for me on carfax please?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well no point of this thread now car has been sold