Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 Civic Ex Power door lock not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 00 Civic Ex Power door lock not working

Forgive me, I know this has been asked a lot in all sorts of different ways. I searched for a while and didn't find anything JUST like my problem.

When I hit the switch on the drivers door panel to unlock or lock the doors, nothing happens.

When I use my OEM keyless entry, the passenger door locks but not the drivers. I assume it's just the drivers side actuator that's dead there.

So, key fob works, switch does not. I haven't the time to look at the door wiring harness yet, I am going to inspect it and probably swap it from another 00 civic I have with a a working system to rule that out.

Other than a break in the door wiring harness.. Oh poop. Just realized it would likely be part of the cabin harness that would be broke. That's not as easy to just switch out.

...other than a break in the cabin harness from all those years of opening and closing the door, what could my solution be?

Thanks in advanced for your help.

(Have to buy my self a FSM soon)
Old 02-15-2016, 12:15 AM
Shit Posts: 15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 00 Civic Ex Power door lock not working

when you say break in the harness do you mean the wires in the door being cut or ripped?
If so i highly doubt that happened

Sounds like the actuator is not working on the driver side door and the switch may be worn out too if everything else works with the remote.

Replacw it if you have the parts on hand to see if thats the issue.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"when you say break in the harness do you mean the wires in the door being cut or ripped?
If so i highly doubt that happened"

I was meaning the cabin harness, where it connects to the door. It's being bent back and forth all of its life, I have read and seen threads about it and have seen pictures of broken wires.

"Sounds like the actuator is not working on the driver side door and the switch may be worn out too if everything else works with the remote."

I should have mentioned, I borrowed a working switch from my other 00 ex and it still didn't work. Just my luck, things don't like to be easy for me. Life just wants me to keep up with the learning.

Tomorrow I will replace the actuator and check do breaks in the carbin harness, Inbetween the door and chassis.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

The door harness connects to the floor harness in the door jamb. Inspect door jamb connector C556 for broken wires.

Are you able to manually lock and unlock the driver's door?

Old 02-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Ronj. Shall visually inspect today, yes- I am able to lock and unlock the drivers door manually. This is a coupe if i didn't say.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I had it backwards. The drivers door locks but the passengers does not.

I did a complete door swap from my other 00 ex to this one. When the door was on the old car, the power door lock worked, now on the new car passenger door lock still doesn't work. (I didn't swap the door for the test lol, had other reasons.)

And damnit since I didn't realize I had it backward I didn't check out the wiring to the door when I had a bunch of space with the door off. I'll have to do that.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also check passenger door jamb connector C557 for broken wires.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, checked passenger side and can not see any broken wires. Checked drivers side and found the black ground wire, I believe 22 or 23 from your diagram, was broken. I butt connected it and not the switch works on the drivers door, but only to unlock. Nothing happens when I try to lock. I again switched the switch for a known working one, no fix. Still nothing from passenger door.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL. Passenger side door was not closed, so was not door was not locking. Drivers side is now locking and unlocking. Nothing at all from the passenger side.

Worth noting, I noticed the passenger side power mirror is not working.

I know the actuator is good on the passenger door because the entire door just came from another working civic. Didn't touch anything.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unplug connector C557.

Run wires from the (+) and (-) posts of the battery to C557.

Test 1 on the female pin side of C557:

Supply voltage (+) to pin 4 and ground (-) to pin 5. Does the passenger door actuator lock or unlock?

Test 2 on the female pin side of C557:

Supply voltage (+) to pin 5 and ground (-) to pin 4. Does the passenger door actuator lock or unlock?

Old 02-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Both tests made the actuator lock and unlock. I shall study this wiring diagram now.. Though I'm not so good at it yet.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Next test I imagine would be to test the male side of the main connector we have been working with..test light in pin 5 and other end of test light hooked to positive terminal, hit the switch and see if the test light lights up for a second? And vise versa.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

a mechanic friend of mine dx this problem for me a couple years ago, in about 3 mins.
Remove door panel, Get to plug for door lock and he used his electrical tester that had a ground feature. Door lock when grounded worked fine. He then unplugged the connecters near the fuse panel, slid them through the hold in the frame, out towards the door. Removed rubber protector panel, inspected wires. Found one broken (which happened to be black) and spliced in I believe a piece of 14 gauge wire and 2 butt connectors.
Whole thing was 10 mins. He said its a super common thing on older cars (b/c of all the opening and closing)
Old 02-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Loyalhondahaver
Next test I imagine would be to test the male side of the main connector we have been working with..test light in pin 5 and other end of test light hooked to positive terminal, hit the switch and see if the test light lights up for a second? And vise versa.
What do you mean by main connector?

Test 3:

Reconnect C557.

Unplug the 18P connector from the keyless control unit.

Does the passenger lock actuator lock and unlock?

Repeat the two (+) and (-) battery wire tests on pins 7 and 8 in the 18P connector.

Last edited by Former User; 02-15-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By main connector I meant c557, just didn't remember it and when I hit reply, I can't see the other messages. (On mobile version of website)
Old 02-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ron, you are AWESOME. Seriously, I am so thankful for your help. Give me your PayPal and I will send you 10 bucks.

I preformed a test of my own on c557, male side.. On pins 4 and 5, I thought harder. I realized when I hit the switch, power should pulse through 4 and 5. So I stuck my test light in male pin 4, grounded the other end of my test light and flipped the switch, didn't expect my test light to light up... Really don't understand. Plugged c557 back in and it works? Also the power mirror works.. Really weird. I think there must be a break within a wire I can't see because the wires insulation is not broken.

So it works! SO HAPPY! For now Atleast.

I appreciate your help so much. I have another car with this same issue, I haven't even peeled back the boot on connector c557, or the drivers side version of the connector. If you would be so kind, please give me the next test after the keyless entry unit test you just informed me of, so that when I go to fix my other car, I will probably have all the tests I will need to get it fixed.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work! C557 possibly was not fully seated.