Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Power Mirror Switch Triggering Power Door Locks

Old 09-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Mirror Switch Triggering Power Door Locks

I have the same problem as this thread here, all factory wiring bought the car as a shell everything works fine except this issue.

Last edited by TomCat39; 09-14-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: power mirror switch triggering drivers door unlock

Check the harness plug where it enters the door for corrosion. I had a similar issue on my old 92 lx.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHatchMan
I have the same problem all factory wiring bought the car as a shell everything works fine except this issue.
You bought the car as a shell so how can you confirm that all wiring is completely factory?
Old 09-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
You bought the car as a shell so how can you confirm that all wiring is completely factory?
Floor harness was bought brand new from the dealer for a 96 civic ex 2 door

I have 2 pairs of door harness from a 96-98 civic ex 2 door also 2 control units for the door locks

The dash harness was in the car with dash, car had no seats no hatch spoiler no carpet and no motor.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbostd
Check the harness plug where it enters the door for corrosion. I had a similar issue on my old 92 lx.
I dont see any corrosion but I will check again everything looks well greased with what ever Honda uses from the factory.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:46 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where did the harness inside of the door come from? did it come with the floor harness? I'm not sure of how the harnesses on that car are broken down, have you checked the ground for the door first of all, there is probably one ground wire in the harness for everything in the door, a bad ground will cause current to follow all kinds of strange paths to get to ground, it might be finding a ground through the coil on the door lock actuator
Old 09-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
where did the harness inside of the door come from? did it come with the floor harness? I'm not sure of how the harnesses on that car are broken down, have you checked the ground for the door first of all, there is probably one ground wire in the harness for everything in the door, a bad ground will cause current to follow all kinds of strange paths to get to ground, it might be finding a ground through the coil on the door lock actuator
My door harness came from the junkyard on doors that had never seen a crash

I have eliminated the door harness being the issue because I switched them out out with the others I have and it is the same issue.

the harness are as such floor harness which runs to the fuel pump along side the seats to the fuse box under the dash from there each side has a harness connector, to connect to each of the doors. The windows roll down perfect the window lock works the door locks work fine from the the door lock switch. its just the mirror trigger when switched to the left side triggers the door lock. I tried a different mirror switch it still did the same thing as well.

here is a diagram of the harness Cart Contents Honda Parts at HondaPartsDeals.com: Honda Accessory, Honda Car Parts, Honda Auto Parts, Honda Accord Parts
Old 09-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this. basically you are going to have to pull the door panel and probe all the wires. no one here can help you in any way until you do basic diagnostics. you most likely have a short to ground/another wire somewhere in the harness. once you find the short go from there.

if you dont have a multimeter i suggest picking one up from harbor freight for under $10

also you never mentioned what year, model civic you have. let me know that and I can check the wiring diagram for it and tell you what wires to probe.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:17 PM
longest project ever

Default Re: Power Mirror Switch Triggering Power Door Locks

just because the wires in the doors have never been in a crash, doesnt mean there isnt a wire broken inside of the harness, a broken ground wire could cause exactly what you are describing, doors open and close a lot and wires flex
Old 09-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Norlael
this. basically you are going to have to pull the door panel and probe all the wires. no one here can help you in any way until you do basic diagnostics. you most likely have a short to ground/another wire somewhere in the harness. once you find the short go from there.

if you dont have a multimeter i suggest picking one up from harbor freight for under $10

also you never mentioned what year, model civic you have. let me know that and I can check the wiring diagram for it and tell you what wires to probe.
I have several multimeters, I have a 97 civic dx hatchback that I converted to have power options.

The floor harness is a 96 civic ex floor harness from the dealer.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just because the wires in the doors have never been in a crash, doesnt mean there isnt a wire broken inside of the harness, a broken ground wire could cause exactly what you are describing, doors open and close a lot and wires flex
This car hasn't left the garage in two years been an on going build.

I have 2 pairs of door harness even with them disconnected or connected it is triggering the locks.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate anyone who helps me figure out what is wrong with this car even a paypal donation to who ever helps me figure this out.

Thank you very much.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:44 PM
longest project ever

This car hasn't left the garage in two years been an on going build.

I have 2 pairs of door harness even with them disconnected or connected it is triggering the locks.
if the car hasnt left the garage in two years, have you checked the inside of the doors for furry critters? they love to chew on wiring and can get into almost anything, you wouldn't have the first build with electrical gremlins caused by unwelcome visitors
Old 09-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no critters opened the door panels yesterday to give it another diagnostic plus the interior is pretty stripped out right now.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Norlael

let me know about the wiring diagram sir when you get a chance.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Fish Twig

You gotta be detailed about this car. Did the car have those options before and you decided to replace the harness? Or are you adding them?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
You gotta be detailed about this car. Did the car have those options before and you decided to replace the harness? Or are you adding them?
It was a dx hatchback they never came with power anything. it was a pretty striped down shell with 50 percent of the parts in the interior but nothing bolted in place. Is it possible when putting the new floor harness in I managed to put the plug in the wrong slot on the fuse block. That is one of my concerns.

I am not sure on that diag though because everything works the back up lights the head lights the cluster etc.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Fish Twig

Check your power door lock module and see if its spliced in with the power mirror wiring. This will take some patience, fyi.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Fish Twig

Did you buy the exact same yr as your hatchback?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought a 96 ex coupe harness I see the the part numbers are different but all the how too's say they are the same from 96-98
Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Fish Twig

What harnesses did you buy? The floor harness has a partial connection to the power mirrors. How did you wire up the controls?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The floor harness is from honda part number 32107-S03-A31 96 honda civic ex 2 door coupe.

The door harness I bought from a pick and pull I have 2 pairs all from ex coupes. so everything is done in an OEM fashion.

Like I said with the harness disconnected at the door jams it still activates buy pressing the directional on the mirror when switched over to driver side position.

Last edited by TheHatchMan; 09-15-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Fish Twig

The floor harness is from honda part number 32107-S03-A31 96 honda civic ex 2 door coupe.

The door harness I bought from a pick and pull I have 2 pairs all from ex coupes. so everything is done in an OEM fashion.

Like I said with the harness disconnected at the door jams it still activates buy pressing the directional on the mirror when switched over to driver side position.
I read your previous post stating you bought brand new, thats dollar signs. What I want to know is how did you run the mirror controls? The floor harness is partial to control the mirrors
Old 09-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my friend use to work at honda in the parts department he got me great deals I only paid 135 bucks for the floor harness

as far as I know everything is ran OEM style I did it this way

96-98 Civic EK Power Window/ Lock/ Mirror Conversion.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:32 PM
longest project ever

if it's still activating the door locks with it disconnected what wires are left connected in the door jam? something has to be still connected, have you disconnected every single wire? it almost sounds like it's creating a ground for something, I know the power mirror circuit for these, as I had to repair it on my 98, from some idiot hacking up the wiring, there should be power in to the mirror switch, then the wiring out to each mirror, the power and ground to the mirrors are isolated by the switch as they have to be reversed in order to change the motor direction

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Mirror Switch Triggering Power Door Locks