Notices

monster awd honda. is it possible to reach?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monster awd honda. is it possible to reach?

i read that awd integra a while back in hondatunning mag. and i came up w/ my own idea, it might sound crazy but i think i can reach it. here i go... a 91 integra gutted, a k24 block and tranny k20a type s head, crv tranny with costom gears, and finally a superhandling awd rear differential from the acura rl. does that sound like i dream to much? i can do this all my self, and maybe a lil help from my dad, but tell me what you guys think, i wanna hear your thoughts as well...
Old 11-19-2005, 06:13 AM

Default Re: monster awd honda. is it possible to reach? (nexepisode)

you will probally need to do a custom mount set up thats not the big issue i would somthing along the line of a quick change rear end with custom driveshaft and custom axles also you will need to make custom rear hubs and brakes inorder to hold the driveshaft what some people do is chop the traling arm and weld a new one in. be ready to spend some money to do it the right way. also you need to figure out how the new crv center dif works the B series crv uses a hydraulic clutch pack right infron of the rear dif so if you were to change the dif you dont have awd you have 4wd
Old 11-19-2005, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that's alot of fab work but if you throw enough money at anything...
Old 11-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: monster awd honda. is it possible to reach? (SIRX)

For a good easy start (if you have the money) is to get a jdm RHD DB9 integra (4 door AWD). It has a SOHC but pretty much all you would have to do is get a B20 CRV 5speed trans and your Bseries of choice. There may be some small issues with modifying the drive shaft but at least you wouldn't have to fab up the rear end!!
Old 11-19-2005, 09:35 AM

why not the 2nd gen crv awd drive rather than the bseries one? can you get that crv there?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:19 AM

Default Re: (FlyLO)

Why not just buy a talon?

you could probably build a car from scratch for the time/money it is going to take to do this. Plus the car you build will be 10x as fast and reliable.

Just think of this stuff as a starter

Engine mounts
Engine management
Trans mounts
All of the chopping up of the car that you are going to have to do to get a drive shaft back to the rear axle.
The Rear axle, what track do you want, stock integra?
Independent suspension or solid rear?
How does the AWD system in the RL actually work? i am guessing it may have quite a bit of electronics, how are you gonna get all those sensors to work, or are you at all?
Just consider all of that stuff, make a budget, and then add probably a minimum of 2000 man hours to it.

If your interested in something your objective, check out this website http://dpcars.aprsworld.com/. You could probably spend a good month reading the entirety of the design log.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: (snoochtodanooch)

its just the idea of having somthing that people will go wtf for me i wanted to build somthing like this just as a showcase of my skills and just to prove to myself that i could do it
Old 11-20-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: (cstay)

what has been done a few times and is not that costly would be a Talon AWD Drivetrain in the Integra. I am sure it can be done with a little custom fabrication.

I would be willing to complete this project for you. PM me if interested and we can work out the detals.

We have also done a 95 Eclipse FWD Convertible conversion to AWD. We have also done a 81 Toyota Corolla with 7MGTE Supra engine that ran 9.4 @ 137

The Eclipse was more for a conversation piece than a race car. There is still a lot left in the Corolla and 8's are coming this Spring.

thanks,
Gabriel
Extreme Power Performance
http://www.extremepowerperformance.net
Old 11-25-2005, 04:21 PM

If its to make you feel good, you could get a lifetime membership to the stripclub of your choice for as much money as it will take... LOL

Just playin around. In theory, all ideas such as yours seem possible, but it isnt quite so simple when you asctually get into it. I build a mid-engine, RWD CRX and can say from experience that its not always that simple. My current project is a Twin-Engine RSX. It is extrememly labor and time intensive, yet will be nowhere near the complexity as yours. Good luck if you follow through with it.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HardcoreAuto)

just so you dont feel too out there...im about to help a friend drop a AWD Eclipse drive train in his SRT4..its an 05 but why not right..LMAO......i only wish i had the money he is going to spend..........................Hal
Old 11-27-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: (FknBadFkr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FknBadFkr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just so you dont feel too out there...im about to help a friend drop a AWD Eclipse drive train in his SRT4..its an 05 but why not right..LMAO......i only wish i had the money he is going to spend..........................Hal</TD></TR></TABLE>

why not just get an eclipse, save thousands of dollars, and the stock final year of the srt-4 which is going to be worth alot of money to future compact car enthusiasts. Why make the srt-4 more of a pig than it already is. I really don't know where people come up with these ideas.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look in this section for: serious awd conversion thoughts.

A car with awd is what you're looking for seriousy things like this have to be done properly.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (snoochtodanooch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really don't know where people come up with these ideas. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's called beer and/or crack.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: (sscguy)

just buy my legacy and drop a sti engine in it... it really is for sale
Old 11-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about mounting a mid engine K20/K24 setup . mount it in the chasis behind the front seats in a longitudinal layout. one axle coming out of the tranny running to a front differential and the other axle to the back differential.

50/50 weight distribution possibly, 300hp to the wheels, and AWD in a sub 2500 pound package. very nice.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Suspetise...

Default Re: monster awd honda. is it possible to reach? (hybridmoments)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridmoments &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about mounting a mid engine K20/K24 setup . mount it in the chasis behind the front seats in a longitudinal layout. one axle coming out of the tranny running to a front differential and the other axle to the back differential.

50/50 weight distribution possibly, 300hp to the wheels, and AWD in a sub 2500 pound package. very nice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure it'd be nifty. It'd also be hugely difficult to pull off. What tranny would use? Diffs? What would you use for the rear axles? Where would the gastank go? More importantly, while it'd be different and cool, would it be faster? Would the added weight hinder everything (handling, braking, acceleration) more than the additional traction and power? Making the thing RWD would be infinitely easier, but would still be a monumental task.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: monster awd honda. is it possible to reach? (hybridmoments)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridmoments &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about mounting a mid engine K20/K24 setup . mount it in the chasis behind the front seats in a longitudinal layout. one axle coming out of the tranny running to a front differential and the other axle to the back differential.

50/50 weight distribution possibly, 300hp to the wheels, and AWD in a sub 2500 pound package. very nice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sub 2500 lb? wha? all that extra **** and still sub 2500lb? you need to rework your math.

Just stop all this dumb **** and buy this http://dpcars.aprsworld.com/
Old 11-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He is right sub 2500 is doable guy, and I know the setup he speaks of SUV's have this sort of transmission where 1 drive shaft comes out of the rear of the transfer and one out the side going in different directions there not awfully heavy infact there really light.

K-series isn't a good choice low end TQ isnt happy thats why I picked the v6.

Group B rally cars are nothing but this setup.

You need some serious fab skills and money people no one is going to put a DIY for you.

Modified by MidShipCivic at 5:13 PM 11/30/2005
Old 11-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

first get a degree in mechanical engineering..
Old 11-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shortyz21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shortyz21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first get a degree in mechanical engineering..</TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont need it to do it dummy.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Suspetise...

Yeah, most of the guys I see actually doing these one-off cars are not mechanical engineers. DPCars and KiMini are two of them, there's a number of others. However, realize that these are grown men, with real jobs, who've made an enormous commitment out of these projects. Both have been going on for YEARS, and neither is finished, though both are nearing completion. KiMini I think has been in the process of all that since somewhere in the mid-90's, and DPCars a similar time frame. What that means is that most likely, if you're an 18-year old kid working at McDonald's or whatever and living in your parent's basement, you won't be doing this.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:45 AM

i think awd is possible to pull off as well as maby a rear engine set up but both is probally not a good idea to try to pull off caus at that point you are basically building a car from scratch
Old 12-01-2005, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sscguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> What that means is that most likely, if you're an 18-year old kid working at McDonald's or whatever and living in your parent's basement, you won't be doing this. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey hey wtf I work the register now!!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two years from now I'll be head lettuce washer too!!!

Just kidding.

Aside from all the obstacles others have posted. You will not find honda drivetrain parts that will withstand any kind of power.

CRV rear end is worse than weaksauce

Center diff is crap too and it wouldn't fit under a civic most likely. And that pic of the Group b cars or whatever....good luck getting that to find under a honda too.

Like also said, unless you gots lots of room to work and lots of cash, no high school kid is going to pull this off.

In the end, you'll just **** your parent off with all the parts laying around for years and no progress.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And that pic of the Group b cars or whatever....good luck getting that to find under a honda too.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's called teh mighty duo of mr cut off wheel and sawzall fool!

I'm doing a jeep/chrysler 5 speed full time 4wd with 2wd mode with my v6 since the CL-6 speeds are such weak sauce.

Modified by MidShipCivic at 6:25 PM 12/2/2005

Quick Reply: monster awd honda. is it possible to reach?