Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Porting

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting

Anyone here tried their hands at porting or even pay to have it professionally done?

There is no way I can to afford that these days so I am going to try my hand at it. I used to doing bone carving when younger so I’ve all the Dremmel gear.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Porting

Originally Posted by 9k_rpm
I am going to try my hand at it.
There is more information on this linked site than you will know what to do with. These are just some examples. (we will see you back on this site in about six months, lol)
H-22 Cylinder Head Modification
B-16 Cylinder Head Mods (Part I)
D-16 PO8-6 Cylinder Head Casting

Long long ago, on a website long since deceased. There was a parody article called Sin Grooves. Where a Honda head was modified by turning a hand grinder sideways, and cutting grooves in the head around the spark plug between the valve seats. I'm not showing any hits with a google search. The original article was an English/Spanish translation error. Sín means without in Spanish. So it was a before picture, "Sin Grooves" and then after, "Con Grooves" But once something takes off, people refused to call them anything else except sin grooves. The article was funny, but it turned into a really in depth how to with lots of pointers on simple things you could do at home to make horse power for your engine on the cheaper side without needing a cnc machine or 3axis or 5 axis or what ever they are up to now.
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-01-2024, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=95_civic_gsr;52825733] we will see you back on this site in about six months

With 4 runners + plenum, 2 children & a wife... 3 years is more accurate I think. Thank you for the links by the way, much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just make sure to click Archives and Articles at the top, in case you didn't see that.
Even the old magazine articles have a wealth of information and tips.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 65 Likes on 63 Posts

I had my F20B2 SOHC head ported (same head as the F22B2) some years ago. It was off anyway to do the head gasket.

I read tonnes of technical articles at the time (I have a strong science background etc) and decided to keep it simple.

Cleaned up the intake ports/intake manifold (portmatched). Then we just cleaned up any additional casting material around the head.

For the intake side I left things a little rough for some amount of swirl effect, but polished up everything on the exhaust side. The porter also did a multi-angle valve seat grind as well.

It was a cool project but I honestly cant say it made much difference to performance, even with intake, header, exhaust. I think if doing a higher compression build, or some super NA build it might matter, but these SOHC heads dont generally flow that well compared to the honda DOHC heads.

I would say give it a go, or at least clean up any casting imperfections and portmatch the intake and see how you feel about it.
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-03-2024, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nicolaselias
I had my F20B2 SOHC head ported (same head as the F22B2) some years ago. It was off anyway to do the head gasket.

I read tonnes of technical articles at the time (I have a strong science background etc) and decided to keep it simple.

Cleaned up the intake ports/intake manifold (portmatched). Then we just cleaned up any additional casting material around the head.

For the intake side I left things a little rough for some amount of swirl effect, but polished up everything on the exhaust side. The porter also did a multi-angle valve seat grind as well.

It was a cool project but I honestly cant say it made much difference to performance, even with intake, header, exhaust. I think if doing a higher compression build, or some super NA build it might matter, but these SOHC heads dont generally flow that well compared to the honda DOHC heads.

I would say give it a go, or at least clean up any casting imperfections and portmatch the intake and see how you feel about it.
Cheers for that, it is most definitely is a subject that can get technical fast even though on the top it seems simple. I agree about the science side of it for the very least you need a basic understanding of hydraulics.
Thank you for the encouragement Nicolas , I'd be lying to say that there isn't a little apprehension going into