Notices

AWD EJ2 Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid Engined AWD EJ2 Build

Good Afternoon All

Ive been with the forum for quite some time now, been taking alot of decent information from everyone on here- which i cannot thank enough.

Last year i completed the build of my stock block B16 GT3076r build. With every intention to build a much better built B20 engine, i wanted to run the car for my wedding and onto at least the summer show season.

Here are a few pics of back then;

Unfortunately, on my way to work, following being dyno'd at 309WHP @ 11psi, trying to solve the reason for pinking and a rough return to idle. It let go. It spun a bearing and made a bit of a mess..

I decided that was the best time to start the build, having been saving up for quite some time.

The spec was to be;

B20 VTEC GT3076r (twinscroll T3)
FULL-RACE T4 dual gate manifold (original turbo as a gt4088r)
FULL-RACE 3-4" Downpipe
HONDATA S300
CRV Derived AWD system
Rear mounted radiator (due to space limitations up front)
Dry Sump System
Fully Seam Welded
Wilwood 12.5" Brakes with 4pot calipers

..there is so much to the spec, the pictures tell more detail..

It is a trackday car, circuit racing, but as i want to get as much use out of it as possible, i want to re-fit its interior..

Started the build quickly;

Adapted the oem engine mount to trial fit the crv gearbox. This will be replaced with a modified Steel aftermarket race mount..

Removed rear subframe

Modified and installed 4wd civic trailing arms. Modified their bearing carrier to receive larger CRV rear bearing, using a modified front hub this will be 4x100" PCD and running a civic style front driveshaft.

Its running arch flares to accommodate wider, lower offset wheels (which i havnt bought yet).

Re-attached the oem subframe approx 25mm further backwards

Adjusted the shock towers to tilt the shocks to the new position

Fabricated a mount for the rear diff

Temporarily installed rear diff to fit new rear crossmember

It hangs rather low, but no lower than the original exhaust, plus sitting across from the wheels, only the worst of badly placed lumps in the surface will be a problem..

Recessed the fuel cell though the floor, to aid ventilation

installed radiator, fans and modified the number plate holder with mesh. Will cut out the metal panel later on, doesnt need a chuffing big hole though the winter unnecessarily..

Received the B20 back from Laskey Racing (your side of the pond). Awesome build, well worth the savings. Absolute perfection!

Trial fitted dry sump!

Began some work seam welding the engine bay

Installed all the front coolers;

36 row oil cooler with 10" fan, full-race intercooler with 8" fan, 7 row power steering cooler, and 16 row transmission cooler with 6" fan..

Most recently with the weather turning harsh;

Designed and built custom anti lag controller to interface with Hondata S300, providing lift off ALS and idle anti lag with rotational idle;

Having a spare IO port i added a sequential shift light;

i also have JDM folding mirrors, but i wanted a proper method of interfacing it with my alarm, so i binned the OEM relay and made my own controller;

That is everything up to date, hopefully make some progress in the new year.. Still awaiting some ARP head studs, which when here i can finally get the engine assembled and painted!

Before anyone asks, the awd rear diff is from the CRV. It is hydraulic in control, it closes a clutch when the prop shaft (running off the front diff final drive-ish) spins faster than the rear diff (showing wheel spin) normally the clutch is open so the car feels FWD...

This is not what i want really, so i am going to modify the rear diff to receive the HALDEX clutch portion of an Audi S3 rear diff. I have designed a computer which will be able to control the action of this clutch based on a map and data from the 4 ABS sensors..

All of the cooling is to be controlled by another computer i am yet to build, as the radiator is in the back, fed by large naca ducts on the sides, at low speeds it wont really help. So the computer will control the fans on the rear radiator based on vehicle speed, and water temp. This will help it heat up quickly, and the speed of the fans being fully adjustable and automated shouldnt be a worry..

I know this wont be everyones cup of tea, but it seems to be going down well over here in the UK. As im a huge fan of honda-tech, i thought it may be time to contribute...

Thanks

Chris

Last edited by purplecivicturbo; 10-14-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AWD EJ2 Build

Holy cow! This looks like its going to be an impressive build. I like how you reconfigured the wiring with your own boards and everything.

The rad in the trunk....excuse my ignorance, but whats the purpose? Is that going to be the location of your rad or is it for cooling something else?

Definitely subscribing! Post updates OFTEN
Old 12-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by [Ennis_D]
Holy cow! This looks like its going to be an impressive build. I like how you reconfigured the wiring with your own boards and everything.

The rad in the trunk....excuse my ignorance, but whats the purpose? Is that going to be the location of your rad or is it for cooling something else?

Definitely subscribing! Post updates OFTEN
Thanks alot for the compliment mate!

Its not ignorance! There are a couple of reasons for the radiator;

1) as its going to be producing power constantly for 20 mins at a time, it needs rather alot of cooling capacity

2) there is no room up front for the large radiator due to the wategates, turbo and dry sump stuff..

What people dont realise is, having a large intercooler restricts the radiator alot, plus the airflow is limited by the engine bay itself behind the radiator. Having the radiator in the boot allows me to maintain a large cooling capacity and minimising the risk of overheating..

Its a bit of a complicated debate whether there are any massive benefits to it, but i guess ill see when its finished..

Last edited by purplecivicturbo; 12-04-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All i can say is WOW, I've been wanting to do something like this for awhile. I just wanted to wait so someone else would do it first. Could this be the future of honda's? Great work and can't wait to see the end result.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why not use a air to water intercooler?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1994hondaprelude_dude
All i can say is WOW, I've been wanting to do something like this for awhile. I just wanted to wait so someone else would do it first. Could this be the future of honda's? Great work and can't wait to see the end result.

Thanks mate! I kinda had to take the plunge!

Jdmadam: The thought did occur to me, but in terms of complexity its more complicated, i already had the intercooler and needed a new rad- so in terms of cost this is cheaper..

Plus, im not a fan of air to water intercoolers, i cant explain it, even though technically you can reduce lag with them...
Old 12-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep the updates coming, this is ..awesome.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting point about the rad. How to you plan on plumbing it?
Old 12-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow this is a build
keep the updates coming
Old 12-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks alot caps..

With regard to the rad plumbing. The prop shaft sits in the tunnel, with the exhaust squeezed in next to it.. But the radiator will be plumbed either where the old shifter rods used to sit or simply bolted to the underside of the car...

i have about a million feet of 1.25" ali tube in the garage, and ill be joining it with silicone hose..
Old 12-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool man. I personally would like to see pics of that progress.

Keep up the work and keep this thread updated!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a pretty sweet build! Have you considered a wide 3 piece front end from exospeed? I think it would look nice and give you plenty of room up front and for the wider tires.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks fantastic so far. My only concern centers around the mounting of the rear diff. With the power numbers you appear to be headed for, if you manage good rear traction, that diff will get twisted around pretty extensively. Maybe add some metal and gusseting for greater support. Oh, and please, please install some sort of metal firewall between the fuel cell and the passenger compartment!

I do love the execution to date though!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by josh green
This is a pretty sweet build! Have you considered a wide 3 piece front end from exospeed? I think it would look nice and give you plenty of room up front and for the wider tires.
he is using the car for circuit racing not drag racing
Old 12-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jaker
Looks fantastic so far. My only concern centers around the mounting of the rear diff. With the power numbers you appear to be headed for, if you manage good rear traction, that diff will get twisted around pretty extensively. Maybe add some metal and gusseting for greater support. Oh, and please, please install some sort of metal firewall between the fuel cell and the passenger compartment!

I do love the execution to date though!
Oh don't worry mate there will be a steel firewall welded in place, and the diff brackets will be stronger. It's all really a mock up at the moment...

Before it goes for paint i still need to route the exhausts and a little more body work.. Im having the body shop install the naca intakes...

Thanks for the compliment, i really appreciate any comments or advice - i tend to focus in too much on little details, hopefully i havnt missed anything stupid

Last edited by purplecivicturbo; 12-04-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks super rad, best of luck sir.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice project!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks alot for the nice comments chaps! Hopefully an update soon!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any updates??
Old 12-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doug118
Any updates??
Im really sorry mate, unfortunately i have made zero progress...

Im waiting for some electronics to arrive to finish the ALS, unfortunately because they were cheap theyre coming from china..

I also damaged a chip so i need a new one for the mirror circuit.

The ARP head studs are supposedly on their way, as soon as they turn up, ill be assembling the engine. Then i need to buy paint for it, the tranny and the rear diff...

But thanks for asking- its nice to know people are interested. ill put an update on as soon as i can!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

few pics one custumer who use a crv awd

Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 PM
The Boot

Spectacular!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Enrike, thanks for posting. That looks really interesting, i dont suppose you have any more pictures??
Old 12-14-2010, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good news all, my ARP headstuds came...

Id just like to thank Mike Laskey for being so awesome, i wouldnt be so easy to trust couriers in the future though. Anyway, it was Laskey Racing who built the bottom end and head, id just like to extend my thanks to them right now..

Temporarily installed the head studs whilst i wait for the threadlock to turn up..

Its shaping up

and back under wraps for now

Old 12-14-2010, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice build!

Quick Reply: AWD EJ2 Build