Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

trany rebuilt with clutch replacement pedal issue???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 trany rebuilt with clutch replacement pedal issue???

just got the civic back full trany rebuild new clutch, flywheel resurfaced, newclutchfork-piviotball.

i got in and went to start it and my foot went strait to the floor like it had no fluid in the lines. went in told him what i felt ("the cars got no pedal") and he said ya that's normal for a brand new clutch to feel efortless.

driving it home the pedal had a hydrolic resistance but just with the weight of my shoe it still slammed down to the floor. also there's very little pressure on the release of the pedal it dosnt push my foot back like it used to i cant realy feel the pedal under my boot like before. it still goes into gear fine.

exedy oem clutch/pressureplate and honda clutch fork pivot ball and throw out bearing.

also got in a friends 2000 4 door civic and his felt like mine used to before i brought it to the shop. its got new brake fluid in the lines but i got a small bottle to bleed it one more time just to be sure all the air is out.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: trany rebuilt with clutch replacement pedal issue???

is it possible that since it goes into gear easily that the exedy oem pressure plate is really that soft?

i just rebled the system till no more bubbles ran threw the tube i was using into the bottle.

withough droping my tranny and getting a new pressure plate whats my only option to stiffen up the pedal? new clutch master? its not that i want a really super stiff pedal i would just like more feed back on the bottom of my foot than whats there.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i installed the same clutch and mine did the same thing its softer then everybody elses civic with supposed stock clutches.

my clutch pedal is actually softer and smoother than my gas pedal is. dont know if something went in wrong or not it shifts fine but the syncros are fairly new so idk.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its very possible and it may be like that all the tyme bleeding may just make it smoother
Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Trial User

I just threw in an Exedy clutch kit and flywheel to replace my degrading, slipping disk. 160k with me learning how to drive stick does that.

Confirming the really really really super light pedal (Soft clutch) on the Exedy pressure plate. I bled out my clutch hydraulics system thinking that in the 3 days that passed as I was working on the tranny air had somehow managed to get in. Engagement and disengagement is perfectly fine though, which is why I was so perplexed.

Personally, I like and dislike it being so light, it's wonderfully responsive... But yeah, too light for size 14 feet. I'm thinking I should throw a large spring between the master cylinder piston and the pedal to allow just enough feedback to make my feet happy.