Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch pedal extremly soft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal extremly soft?

I went for a long drive yesterday in a lot of stop and go traffic and my clutch was working perfectly fine with no problems what so ever. Then as soon as I got out of the traffic and was cruisin about 70mph in 5th gear the car was still runnin fine. But when I went to down shift to slow down for the tolls the clutch pedal got extremly soft and had no pressure what so ever. I kept on pumping the pedal then aventially it got some pressure and was able to put the car into gear. Then the clutch was fine once again. Then when i went to stop again the clutch got an extremly large amount of freeplay til about u had ur foot complety on the floor then the clutch would grab. Then when u would let your foot off the clutch you can only take your foot off the clutch like a half of inch and it would catch really low which it never used to be like that.
I know the slave cylinder is leaking a lil but its been leakin for a while and there was never any problems at all. I checked the fluid and its fine.
And this morning I went to start the car in gear while my foot was still on the clutch and the car jumped and stalled even tho my foot was on the clutch.
The clutch grabs great at high rpms and sometimes yesterday it was working perfectly fine and I have no idea why its messing up right now.
I am running an exedy stage one clutch with approx 25k miles on it.
And ideas?
Thanks
-Brian
Old 05-02-2005, 05:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Clutch pedal extremly soft? (vtec69)

are you leaking fluid under your clutch pedal by the firewall? Sounds like your clutch master cylinder has a leak.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch pedal extremly soft? (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you leaking fluid under your clutch pedal by the firewall? Sounds like your clutch master cylinder has a leak. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am actually leaking right where the slave cylinder connects to the tranny. Like the 2 10mm or 12mm bolts are int the front of the tranny.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:38 AM

Well, that's your problem. Fix the leak, bleed the system, and you are good to go.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, that's your problem. Fix the leak, bleed the system, and you are good to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well im not sure how to fix the leak
It leaked with my old tranny and never had a problem then i swaped trannys and it still leaked.
The 2 bolts are tight and it still leaks
How do you blead the clutch?
thanks
-Brian
Old 05-02-2005, 07:05 AM

I've never had that problem, and I'm not sure how to stop the leak. Maybe someone else with experience can help you there. To bleed the system, you pump the clutch pedal for a while, then have someone turn the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder to let the air out, and tighten it again. You pretty much repeat this process until your leg is too tired to continue or you are not getting any air out anymore. That or you can go to a brake place, and they will use a machine, but the tedious way is free.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:11 AM

look under the steering colunm one last time to see if theirs no oil leaking down from the clutch master cylinder. you will save yourself a lot of money replacing the clutch master cylinder opposed to the slave cylinder. if their is no pressure on the clutch pedal and there is a lot of free play, it is most likly going to be the clutch master cylinder= $101 at napa (the only place that had it in stock), the slave cylinder is a little more
Old 05-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch pedal extremly soft? (B18C1 Del Sol soon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C1 Del Sol soon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look under the steering colunm one last time to see if theirs no oil leaking down from the clutch master cylinder. you will save yourself a lot of money replacing the clutch master cylinder opposed to the slave cylinder. if their is no pressure on the clutch pedal and there is a lot of free play, it is most likly going to be the clutch master cylinder= $101 at napa (the only place that had it in stock), the slave cylinder is a little more</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ill check that later to see if its leaking from there but its defenitly leaking from the slave cylinder where it bolts into the tranny, but yeah ill check that too
thanks for everyones help so far and hopefully I can get this fixed before something bad happens
Old 05-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

O and i just thought of something
If the bleeder screw is on the slave cylinder, and its not 100% tight, would fluid leak from there?
Cause I get a lil puddle under my car when I park occaisionally right below the slave cylinder and both bolts are tight, but Ive never touched the slave cylnder realease but im thinkin it might have gotten loose some how and maybe that could be where its leaking from???
Ill check it out after work and see whats going on
thanks
-Brian
Old 05-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ill check that later to see if its leaking from there but its defenitly leaking from the slave cylinder where it bolts into the tranny, but yeah ill check that too
thanks for everyones help so far and hopefully I can get this fixed before something bad happens </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like u need a slave cyclinder, get 1 and install it, bleed clutch.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch pedal extremly soft? (CRXified)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sounds like u need a slave cyclinder, get 1 and install it, bleed clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

b4 i buy one im going to check to see if the bleeder valve is loose
also do i buy the slave cylinder for the car or for the tranny or for the motor?
Cause its a 95 civic, with a gsr, and an Si tranny
So do i order the one for a Si or for a 95 civic hatch?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:56 AM

exact same **** happend to me but i dont know how i made it toacademy lol i had to bleed it in a parking lot
hmm save ur self tiem change ur own slave cylender its like a 5 min jod not thAT expencive either
Old 05-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch pedal extremly soft? (ek97-DAP)

thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, im gonna attempt to bleed it after work and make sure everything is nice and tight but any other suggestions are appreciated
thanks
-Brian
Old 05-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT
Old 05-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i just got home from work and bleed my clutch and so far the pedals really stiff
And it catchs like it should
so now i dont know if i should bother buying a new slave cylinder or not???
Old 05-02-2005, 01:52 PM

if it stays stiff with no sign of a leak, i wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:01 PM

Ya sounds like a bleeding issue or a faulty slave cylinder.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it stays stiff with no sign of a leak, i wouldn't worry about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im gonna drive it around tonight and see how it acts and that will determine if im going to purchase it or not

Thanks everyone for your help
Old 05-03-2005, 01:29 PM

listen check the resivor every like day if u notice it drops go ahead save ur time and money and install it honestly its a 5 min driveway job... only like 20 bucks or so like at advance auto.. sheap but its better then leakin and i did mine it hasnt leaked since... good luck
Old 05-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch pedal extremly soft? (ek97-DAP)

i ended up bleeding it and it was working good for a day but the slave cylinder was still leakin so i went ahead and changed the slave cylinder and now everything seems a ok
Old 05-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good job man, u change it urself?