Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

New flywheel w/clutch upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New flywheel w/clutch upgrade?

Hi all,

My clutch is slipping ('08 Fit GD3 MT base) and it looks like the time has come for me to replace it. I've read good things about the Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch. I am wondering whether or not I should also get a new flywheel with my new clutch or have the tech resurface the OEM flywheel? If I were to get a new flywheel, what do you think of the Fidanza (7lbs)? Any other flywheels I should be thinking about?

For reference, I do lots of street/freeway driving with frequent traffic stop and go conditions. I don't do any track driving. I like feeling power in my cars and being able to accelerate quickly. The OEM set up was always too slow for my taste accelerating in 1st gear, though it was fine in higher gears, but I don't like revving much higher than 4500rpm. I am try to be fuel conscious and don't do much hard accelerating.

p/s: As long as I am getting the clutch replaced, is there anything else that would be cost effective to do along with the clutch? I've heard that replacing the rear main seal would be good to do, since the tech will have the engine out for easy access to replace the seal. Anything else?

Thanks in advance for constructive input on the matter.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: New flywheel w/clutch upgrade?

Reducing flywheel mass will result in vibration within the engine, and perhaps the mounts. The reason a flywheel weighs so much is to keep the engine smooth. reducing the weight will give the engine a harsher feel, and it will respond to throttle quicker. It is a pure driveability issue, if you want to comfortably drive it, stay with a heavier unit. If you want your engine to stall at the slightest miscalculation of throttle during takeoff, get a 3lb flywheel.

My advise, re-machine if it needs it, use a shim to adjust for pedal feel if it needs it, and be done with it.