Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Late Shift/Delay 1999 Acura CL 2.3l 4 speed Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late Shift/Delay 1999 Acura CL 2.3l 4 speed Automatic

I have a 1999 Acura CL 2.3l 4 speed Automatic(B6VA?). I am experiencing a late shift/delay when I going from Park to Drive (D4 or D3).

When I put the car into gear there is an approximately 3 second delay before the transmission engages. Sometimes with a shock.

When I put the car into R, sometimes there is a bit of delay but not always or to the extent as D.

Also, sometimes, I feel a downshift delay or mild shock when I come to a stop. This does not happen most of the time but I feel it sometimes.

The rest of the gears shift smoothly and no problems when the car is underway.

The problem is worse when the car and/or outside temperature is cold.

Here is what I have done:
1.Replaced the front and rear motor mounts(the others seem O.K.)
2.Replaced the fluid(Honda OEM)
3.Inspected Solenoid B & C (resistance was about 18ohms and they opened and closed under 12v jumper)
4. Inspected Solenoid A/B assembly(resistance was 6.5 ohms[the spec says about 5. Is 6.5 about 5?] and both valves operated under 12v).
5. Inspected the shift cable at shift assembly(nothing noteworthy).

I am trying to make an assessment of the transmission to see what I can do so it doesn't fail on me. I would like any help or insight other members might have in diagnosing the shift delay problem. Thanks in advance.

James
Old 02-11-2015, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Late Shift/Delay 1999 Acura CL 2.3l 4 speed Automatic

Originally Posted by jimgade
I have a 1999 Acura CL 2.3l 4 speed Automatic(B6VA?). I am experiencing a late shift/delay when I going from Park to Drive (D4 or D3).

When I put the car into gear there is an approximately 3 second delay before the transmission engages. Sometimes with a shock.

When I put the car into R, sometimes there is a bit of delay but not always or to the extent as D.

Also, sometimes, I feel a downshift delay or mild shock when I come to a stop. This does not happen most of the time but I feel it sometimes.

The rest of the gears shift smoothly and no problems when the car is underway.

The problem is worse when the car and/or outside temperature is cold.

Here is what I have done:
1.Replaced the front and rear motor mounts(the others seem O.K.)
2.Replaced the fluid(Honda OEM)
3.Inspected Solenoid B & C (resistance was about 18ohms and they opened and closed under 12v jumper)
4. Inspected Solenoid A/B assembly(resistance was 6.5 ohms[the spec says about 5. Is 6.5 about 5?] and both valves operated under 12v).
5. Inspected the shift cable at shift assembly(nothing noteworthy).

I am trying to make an assessment of the transmission to see what I can do so it doesn't fail on me. I would like any help or insight other members might have in diagnosing the shift delay problem. Thanks in advance.

James
Clutch material shedding will block the shift circuits and the oil pump supply circuit. If your problem is universal for all gears, I would suspect an oil pump flow problem, either the pump itself or a blockage in the line pressure supply. Your fluid level should be correct in order for that information to be valid.

When did you notice this problem? What was done before this occurred? Do you have any DTC's?
Old 02-12-2015, 02:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have information missing here, How long the tranny has been in the car, mileage ? fresh rebuild or old tranny, If new fresh rebuild only externals possible failure would be the neutral switch or the second switch other than that it is internal.
Maybe with more info we can diagnose the problem.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your responses. The shift problem only occurs between the park and drive gears and sometimes when I come to a stop.

The transmission is old. I believe it to be the original, having 180K miles on it. There are no DTC's. My wife primarily drove the car and I didn't notice until Christmas time. When I took it to Acura they said that it was the motor mounts. They were worn and I replaced them in January. It helped, but the shock is still there.

The problem is better when the car is warmed up before driving. I don't experience any shift problems at speed, it just getting underway. I am trying to see if there is anything I can do at this point or if I should start preparing for a rebuild and I am trying to gauge how long I can expect to drive before I need a rebuild, if it is not something I can fix.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on the temperature dependence, a pressure problem is evident. Most friction materials will increase in grabbing power with increases in temperature from experience.

Fluid quality and quantity are very important. Your complaint suggests a worn out or leaking 1st gear. A stall test can help pin-point 1st or 2nd gear as the culprit. I would be willing to estimate that 1st and 2nd gear are worn out (clutches). If you were to report delays in all gears I would diagnose the pump, filter, or pressure leakage internal to the unit as the source of failure.

Given the mileage, it would seem you have o-ring or clutch failure. Without a disassembly, it will be hard to fix or prove.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. Being that the problem is likely internal, I am going to start preparing for a rebuild.

My tentative plan is to pull one out of a yard and rebuilding it with a kit. Do you have any recommendations for rebuild kits OEM/aftermarket?

I have a factory manual. Do you know of any other resources showing the rebuild process? I would like to rebuild it myself if I can. But I would appreciate any opinions. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give me a call for your rebuild kit. We have them all.