Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

How bad is this transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:39 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default How bad is this transmission?

Backstory:

Was given a YS1 transmission (big spline, was told it is a GSR) for free. Previous owner stated "it was ran with no oil (I'm assuming low oil) and 5th gear is shot."

I've helped rebuild transmissions before, but never gone and rebuilt one all by myself. It has been a long time since I've pulled one apart, so I'm a bit rusty on what is good and bad as far as hubs/gear teeth.

I pulled it apart and here's what I've found.
Attached Images          
Old 02-16-2015, 09:49 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Default Re: How bad is this transmission?

The 5/R (iirc that's the one in the pics) hub sleeve was the worst one, I'm pretty sure that one needs to be replaced. The rest look better, but if I'm rebuilding this, I'm going to get new sleeves as well as synchros.

The gears I'm not really sure on. I believe we can still run these, and with new synchros, they should be fine.

I think the only actual problem with the trans was that the needle bearing broke, causing the 5 gear hub sleeve to not function, and it was locked out of 5th.

The options for this transmission are:

A) buy new sleeves and synchros, probably a master rebuild kit from Synchrotech (any other brands I should look at?) and a new needle bearing from Honda, put it all back together and run it and see how it feels.

B) Buying a used lower mileage hydro transmission and putting the guts into this cable case.

C) buying a transmission from H Motors or some other importer/reseller, or if someone will let us inspect their transmission before buying, from a private seller. Save this transmission for parts/some other time to rebuil.

I'm kind of on borrowed time as my brother's LS transmission in his Integra is starting to grind, and we were planning on fixing this GSR trans until we discovered the cost of a rebuild.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all those parts are well worn. You need at least 3rd and 4th gear and selectors plus synchros and springs. Also I would get the bearing and seal kit.
You have more pics?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:57 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Not at the moment, What are you looking for?

Do you think 3/4 are usable? Or are they trashed? This transmission isn't going to be subjected to heavy abuse, just normal wear/tear as a daily.