Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

GSR LSD problem? Binding grinding popping when turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR LSD problem? Binding grinding popping when turning

I have a 92 EG with b16A and GSR trans. Ok so i got a GSR trans with an LSD off a guy on craigslist a while back. While i was in a rush and dont remember where i put the paperwork so i dont remember what brand or type the diff is but the LSD was aftermarket and a local honda dealer installed it i guess. Never had a lick of trouble and it performed great for the first 4000 miles or so no noises of any sort. I just changed the gear oil out from honda MTF to synchromesh. Well sense then i heard a slight grinding noise start to happen when in gear accelerating while making a sharp corner at low speeds. Well its progressed where now i have about 400 miles on the syncromesh gear oil and its really bad now to the point where when i start from a stop and take a right turn in first the passenger side axle seems to pop and bang like its binding up, diff sounds like its grinding and making all sorts of strange noise and its no longer smooth acceleration in that situation, it will like jerk and pulsate forward until i straighten my wheel out.

Should also note lately when im on the highway when i let off the gas the car will pull to the left alot then right when i get on the gas again. I dont know what axles i used with the trans because they were just in the garage lol but they fit and worked so i figured they were ok.

This scares me because ive had another trans/diff that i broke spider gears on and almost this same thing happened and it wound up leaving me stranded a couple days later while making a sharp turn when all the rest of the spider gears teeth broke off lol.

Please tell me im not up **** creek again i spend a bundle on this trans because it was what i wanted. If anything im ready to push the damn car around corners then hop in for straights lol.

Last edited by jpsi02; 03-04-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR LSD problem? Binding grinding popping when turning

first off, dont use syncromesh in a honda tranny. use either 10w 30, or honda mtf or something of the type. that could be a problem.

second i would try getting new axles.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

First you need to find out what LSD is in it.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem did u figure out what's wrong with it
Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did u fix the problem I need help too
Old 11-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Trial User

Hi Mate i have a 93 eg hatch with a b16a2 and 1.5 way LSD. I had the exact same problem when turning sharply to full lock left and right. lsd or gearbox would shudder and make a groaning grinding type noise.

Anyway, i took it to a mechanic who quoted me $1700 and told me i needed a new LSD. Not being able to come up with that sort of money atm i took it to another mechanic who told me it was the oil in the gearbox. We drained the old oil and filled the box with CASTROL MANUAL VMX 80W oil.

The sound has completely gone away along with the shuddering. Drives perfect. I strongly recommend draining the oil and doing the same. The gearbox and diff share the same oil by the way.

Hopefully this helps