Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Vtec Pin does not LOCK

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vtec Pin does not LOCK

Hey everyone, ofcourse this is another VTEC question and you guys are all probably thinking i should do more research blah blah blah. I have done all the research I can and there was only one thread I found that was the closest to my problem I am having link #2. Yet no answer. I recently had my motor factory rebuild, new rings, bearings, hg, stem seals, etc...550 miles as right now. Before all this my vtec was working perfectly and crack super loud. I have done all I can and maybe you guys can help me? My car is a 00 SI if that matters.

Engine MOD:
JDM B18c GSR(Stock), B16 Head, Type R IM, S2 70mm tb, CTR Camshaft, 240 cc

***THERE IS NO CEL, EVERYTHING IS WORKING PROPERLY AND RUNS SMOOTH, JUST VTEC WONT ENGAGE***

List of things I already DONE 3X:
1) Oil Pressure was around 10 psi on warm and 55 psi on cruise, I figure it wasnt as high as before so I replaced the oil pump to a brand new one, pressure raised up 15 psi on warm and 65/70 psi on cruise.

2) I had a sandwich plate along with the oil cooler for my gauge, I thought it might of cause oil pressure loss. Removed it and install my line with the oil pressure switch.

3) Tested the Vtec solenoid and it clicks on both the one i have, try swapping them and screen was clean, piston moved smooth.

4) I made sure I didnt get the ECT and Vtec oil pressure mixed up, they were correct.

5) No oil leaks from anywhere.

6) I thought it might be something with the ecu since this is my first time actually running a stock P2T ecu for daily other than for my inspection. I plugged up my chip P28 along with a vtec set at 4500rpm.

7) I decide to hook up data logging in crome to see if if everything electrical is working properly. ECT works like it should, Vtec shows that it engages when RPM is met, rpm, speed sensor etc...everything ran normal.

8) I thought I might of assemble the head wrong. Removed the rocker arm shaft and inspect all my rockers if there was any missing pins. All of them was there, none was missing. The primary rocker pin slide right out with a magnet and the hole is clear from clogged(small pin), third rocker pin slide in and out freely(long), and the secondary rocker moves in with slight pressure and spring press back once pressure is released. Rocker shaft look fine no cracks. Both intake and exhaust shaft are the same, so it didnt matter where it went.

9) Dowel pin and seal under cam cap #3 has been replaced new when rebuild, still there...

10) Last of all, I did a oil pressure check with the port in front of the head. Oil pressure remains 0 psi and once vtec opens it jumps up to 65lbs. Everything electrical is working properly since oil pressure made it thru the solenoid. Next I did a pressure test, applying air pressure to see if the rocker pin locks. Yes! I covered up the hole next to cap #5. I applied 60lbs and notice the rockers didnt lock like they should. Moved the pressure up to 70 psi. Still didnt lock. I continue to rotate the crank over and over about 5 rounds then pop, cyl #3 locked on the exhaust side. What i find funny was that they didnt lock all at the same time. A few more rounds of rotating cyl #4 and #1 locked, then #2. I remember doing this test a while back in my GSR and they all locked once pressure was applied, I didnt even have to rotate the crank to notice. I did this test over and over again. The pins did not lock all at the same time, sometime in different order.

I am currently running out of luck. Any suggestions would help. Some of the things I thought could be the cause would be mixing up the rocker arms from its original place or pair. I dont believe this would be a problem since valve lash can be adjusted. When i clean them i decide to put all in the basket and cook them in the hot tank and paired them.

Videos before Rebuild

Links that I have looked into:
1) https://honda-tech.com/honda-prelude...thread-830163/

2) https://honda-tech.com/all-motor-nat...tched-3047572/

3)
Old 10-15-2015, 10:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

**** man

Seems like you went over everything

your oil pressure sound a little low. Cold start idle my gauge is pegged at 60-80

Above 3k rpm its at 80 psi

Try a thicker oil
Old 10-15-2015, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Vtec Pin does not LOCK

Dissassemble the head as far as you can while its still on the block. Spray a little carb/brake cleaner into all oil pressure passages in the head and then use compressed air to clear them out.

Sounds to me you have a blockage in one or more of your oil passages, AFTER the test port on the front of the head.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
**** man

Seems like you went over everything

your oil pressure sound a little low. Cold start idle my gauge is pegged at 60-80

Above 3k rpm its at 80 psi

Try a thicker oil
my gauge could be off a little but for sure it is better than before

Originally Posted by F22Master
Dissassemble the head as far as you can while its still on the block. Spray a little carb/brake cleaner into all oil pressure passages in the head and then use compressed air to clear them out.

Sounds to me you have a blockage in one or more of your oil passages, AFTER the test port on the front of the head.
ive taken all the rockers and shaft apart from the head who knows how many time to inspect it. but i may have blockage.

**UPDATE**
Got 850 miles total in the motor, drove 200 miles today. On the way home a FRS decide he wanted to line up. Pull away from him after third. Vtec hit smooth and quiet. I am going to baby it for few more hundred many thousand miles before trying again. I may have a small blockage somewhere so im going to baby it, maybe itll clear up, i hope.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update***

1500 miles in the motor, seem like everything is running the way it should now. Vtec engages and motor runs smooth at idle.

I was running the P2t ecu from my si and it threw a code for running lean. I'm running a type r intake manifold and a bigger stroke engine along with the ctr camshaft. This would cause more air flow and not enough gas with the ecu. I switched to my type r ecu p73-013 and it is running smooth but no bottom end and no more code. Only down fall is that bottom end is not as good and vtec engages late around 5900. Otherwise top end sure have some power. Tomorrow I will be testing a gsr p72-a02 and see how it runs since vtec is earlier like around 4400.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what was the issue? Im having the same problem. I have a jdmb18c turbo. stock bottom end, with stock head except dual valve springs and ti retainers. Everything else is oem.

Ive done every test you have except the air pressure test. What would that tell me when I already know the pins arent locking?

What happened was...
I took the head off to replace the head gasket, install skunk2 dvs, ti retainers, clean and lap the valves, new valve seals, and inspect unusual wear anywhere.(cam lobes, rockers, cam caps, cracks etc) put it back together and no VTEC. Yes it is the correct VTEC head gasket. Oil pressure is right in range every thing works except my rocker pins arent locking. Took the rocker shafts and rockers out 3 times already just to be 100% sure everything is ok. no cracks, no significant wear, all pins slide with ease, all springs compress great. No leaks. When I cleaned the head I shot about 80psi of compressed air through the passages.
I know 70psi oil pressure is entering the VTEC oil passage in the test port.

Im honestly at wits end. Thinking about just getting a bare gsr head and transferring all the parts over...