Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Vtec Oil Pressure, ANY Ideas!!! ls/vtec

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Vtec Oil Pressure, ANY Ideas!!! ls/vtec

Ok i have a ls/vtec build that i finished last month and the only problem i cant figure out is the vtec, the problem is i have low oil pressure, i put a sending unit at the oil vtec port on front of the head so i can watch the pressure when it hits, strange thing is when the car is cold it hits ok, about 60 psi in all the gears, but when at operating temp its about 25 and you can hear the solenoid kick in and out a few times before the cel turns on and its has 16 ohms so its good according to the book.

Im using the GE kit, the oil pressure to the head is good, i have a type r oil pump and there should be plenty of oil. i cleaned the vtec screens and everything is good the lost motion assy are in great shape and i even hooked up vtec to a switch in the cab by just putting 12 to the solenoid and bypass the oil pressure switch, and same thing hits when cold but after its warm less that 25, i have been screwing with this thing for a while and cant get it right, if there are any guru's that have any idea please let me know, i have tried almost everything in the book, Thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Low Vtec Oil Pressure, ANY Ideas!!! ls/vtec (4door hobo)

Just a shot in the dark. follom me here..

If you take the valve cover off and pull your cams. You need to check and see if the dowel pin and O-ring are in #3 Cam cap rail.. That would make you loose the pressure slowly if it was missing.

When you get to the point that you have 25 psi ...Is that all vtec is seeing or is that the pressure the motor is see or both?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:39 AM

THanks for the the idea man, but the o-ring and the dowel are in there, the 25psi is how much vtec has not the oil to the motor. i had it on a switch and turned it on whenever i wanted then watched the oil guage, hits about 40 then just lowers , im going to pull the GE sandwhich plate off and make sure everything is good there and put a sending unit on the plate to make sure its pumping the oil to the head, im going turbo in about two weeks and vtec could sure help me spool faster. Any other ideas are welcome,
Old 07-18-2007, 11:56 AM

Old 07-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With your gauge... check oil pressure at the OEM oil pressure location... and compare it to the GE adapter oil lines pressure.

maybe just move your vtec oil line feed to the oem oil pressure location and se if vtec hits harder ?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Low Vtec Oil Pressure, ANY Ideas!!! ls/vtec (havok hybrid)

good idea ill have to get some longer line from jegs and see what happens, when i do hit vtec before it kicks out the oil pressure to the motor drops to about 50 from where it was at about 70, my oil pan is dented to hell so i orderd a new one and ill check out the pick up tube while im there, im thinking that the oil pick up tube is too close to the pan and cant get plenty of oil there, its a long shot but i need a new pan anyways for turbo.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think your also on to something there... Psi is one thing.. But the pick up needs to be able to get volume . Good luck man.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 PM

turns out it was the oil pan, i bought one from my work at <U>AutoZone</U> made the pick up tube hole larger where it sits in the oil and now i have 80psi in vtec, i had only a small dent, but now everything is perfect.