Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Mystery bogging in top powerband @ WOT, help me troubleshoot! (B18c)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery bogging in top powerband @ WOT, help me troubleshoot! (B18c)

GSR, ITR slugs, Crower 402`s and hardware, OS SS valves.

Here`s what happens:
Car does`nt deliver the power I believe it should have. I`ll be going through the gears, first gear vtec is strong, second is good as well, but only when I get into 3rd gear vtec (6000RPM in 3rd) the power drops off and it feels like it`s on 3 cylinders. This continues throught the rest of the gears. It won`t go away untill I back out of the throttle and after about 4 minutes...then its fine? WTF? I feels like safe mode, but I throw no codes at all.

All timing is at 0 on the gears and th distributor is at ~16.
I put in new plugs, tried a different program, a different distributor, new wites, cap & rotor are good...
Could this be attributed to TPS? I tried to disconnect it and nothing happned except I threw the code. The idle did`nt drop off(I don`t know if it should have or not).

Please shoot me some ideas!
TIA!
Old 06-20-2003, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Mystery bogging in top powerband @ WOT, help me troubleshoot! (sinister)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinister &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GSR, ITR slugs, Crower 402`s and hardware, OS SS valves.

Here`s what happens:
Car does`nt deliver the power I believe it should have. I`ll be going through the gears, first gear vtec is strong, second is good as well, but only when I get into 3rd gear vtec (6000RPM in 3rd) the power drops off and it feels like it`s on 3 cylinders. This continues throught the rest of the gears. It won`t go away untill I back out of the throttle and after about 4 minutes...then its fine? WTF? I feels like safe mode, but I throw no codes at all.

All timing is at 0 on the gears and th distributor is at ~16.
I put in new plugs, tried a different program, a different distributor, new wites, cap & rotor are good...
Could this be attributed to TPS? I tried to disconnect it and nothing happned except I threw the code. The idle did`nt drop off(I don`t know if it should have or not).

Please shoot me some ideas!
TIA!</TD></TR></TABLE>

..yeah you dont wanna mess with the TPS sensor that **** will mess your day up. Try putting your TPS sensor back to its stock location (seeing how its adjustable).

You sure your cam/crank pully timing is on point?

Your issue does sound TPS related though. I have intermittant TPS issues with my car (since my ecu harness was cut by thieves ealier this year) and once in a while when I'm driving...all of a sudden there's no power....then it comes back but with a check engine light and its always for the TPS code. I have some kind of loose wire connection somewhere at the ecu plugs + TPS pinout. I've never touched the actual TPS sensor though.

So check your TPS reports for a loose connection...
Old 06-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mystery bogging in top powerband @ WOT, help me troubleshoot! (Katman)

So when the TPS is disconnected the car sould show some sign of that (other than a code)?
Old 06-20-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Mystery bogging in top powerband @ WOT, help me troubleshoot! (sinister)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinister &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So when the TPS is disconnected the car sould show some sign of that (other than a code)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep..it should.
TPS is your throttle repsonse to the ecu and when disconnected it will show assholey signs. lol
Old 06-20-2003, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, definitely sounds like a TPS problem. Did ya get the memo?

Katman did a great job at explaining the issue at checking for loose connections.

Either that or A/F running rich/lean but I don't see how it would do that in that specific RPM.

Do you have a V-AFC or any devices connected that you may have installed at all?

Just to make sure, here is the wiring legend for the TPS:

GRN/WHT -&gt; Sensor Ground (actually tapped into the IAT), but if you check continuity with a Digital Multimeter at D22, it should show up. But I would tap into the Grn/Wht wire at the IAT and the TPS.

RED/BLU -&gt; Goes to PNK/BLK -&gt; to D11 pinout -- Check for continuity/open circuit.

YEL/WHT -&gt; Goes to the D20 pinout. -- check for continuiity/open circuit.

If all connections are good, then I would take off the TPS and make sure it's on well and not broken.

Keep us posted.

HTH
Old 06-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right before you even mentioned the TPS I thought it was TPS related. Let us know if that was it...
Old 06-20-2003, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mystery bogging in top powerband @ WOT, help me troubleshoot! (Vap133)

Aight then, it looks like it`s time to OHM it and verify where it might be off. This was something that was swapped from one TB to another during a rebuild
Old 06-20-2003, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, there`s good news...And there`s bad news.

The TPS was in fact off, just by a hair, but nonehteless. So that is to spec now(thanks to Elton @Raceline).
However the bogging effect still remains. We came tothe conclusion that my motor is runnung out of fuel. So, that being the case, a fuel pump and regulator is on the way as of Monday.
If that does`nt solve the problem, then I don`t know waht I`ll do...

Thanks guys
LoL