Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Motor shake around certain RPM range

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor shake around certain RPM range

What would cause a motor to vibrate and shake in-between a certain RPM range but then clears up when below or above that range? I have a 1992 Integra and during cold start up's the rev would vibrate and cause a shake inside the car because it's within the 'range of vibration' of the motor..... but when it warms and the idle drops, the motor becomes normal, and if you rev over that RPM vibration range, it clears up and runs smooth.

The range of vibration RPM's from that motor is somewhere between the window of 1,200-2,000 RPM's. I checked to see if it was the motor mount, but they seem to look fine. What could cause this symptom?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Motor shake around certain RPM range

Originally Posted by 250cc_SuperKart
What would cause a motor to vibrate and shake in-between a certain RPM range but then clears up when below or above that range? I have a 1992 Integra and during cold start up's the rev would vibrate and cause a shake inside the car because it's within the 'range of vibration' of the motor..... but when it warms and the idle drops, the motor becomes normal, and if you rev over that RPM vibration range, it clears up and runs smooth.

The range of vibration RPM's from that motor is somewhere between the window of 1,200-2,000 RPM's. I checked to see if it was the motor mount, but they seem to look fine. What could cause this symptom?
Engine and trans mounts can "look fine" until you actually extract or remove them and take a close look at all angles. My driver's side engine mount "looked fine" but removing it revealed it to be half torn.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Tachi
Engine and trans mounts can "look fine" until you actually extract or remove them and take a close look at all angles. My driver's side engine mount "looked fine" but removing it revealed it to be half torn.
Yeah, I'm hoping it's just a bad engine mount and not a bigger issue that's gonna cause the motor to go bad.

Do you think it's possible that the flywheel is out of balance or perhaps the crank pulley?
Old 09-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just a bad engine mount and not a bigger issue that's gonna cause the motor to go bad.

Do you think it's possible that the flywheel is out of balance or perhaps the crank pulley?
The crank pulley is so small and close to the axis it would literally have to be shaped like a crankshaft counterweight to cause that, and it would be at all rpms. I doubt it's the flywheel/clutch assy. My car has always had a cabin vibration from idle up to 2000rpm, and been getting worse over time. I recently installed a new Exedy clutch and FX lightweight flywheel. The PO had installed a cheeBay clutch kit, and with the new clutch the vibrations evaporated.

Anything with the rotating assembly would be most pronounced at lower rpm and smooth out at higher rpm, not occupy a specific rpm range. The B-series engines don't have balance shafts, so its entirely likely that a bad engine mount would allow a harmonic resonance at a specific rpm to propagate and create that vibration.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this exact problem where the engine would shake at a certain rpm and would go away as the rpm went higher but this would only happen while I was driving. It turned out to be one of my axles cause they had lost all the grease inside the boot and the joints were seized up real good. Try taking a look at them and see if that could be your problem. GL
Old 09-13-2015, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lsvtecy0
I had this exact problem where the engine would shake at a certain rpm and would go away as the rpm went higher but this would only happen while I was driving. It turned out to be one of my axles cause they had lost all the grease inside the boot and the joints were seized up real good. Try taking a look at them and see if that could be your problem. GL
had same problem, had to replace cv joint
Old 09-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It doesn't have to happen when driving..... it's the same when it's parked in the garage and I'm just warming up the engine. It's not the Axle/CV joint.

It seems like the motor mount could be the culprit, but we'll see. I remember owning the same type of car and had some eff'd up motor mounts, not to mention 1 missing, and the car never shook or anything like the one I have right now.
Well, these engines have 4 mounts supporting the powertrain and two of them are multi-axial mounts so a half tear in a particular direction could do it.