Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

LS VTEC TURBO OIL PAN DILEMMA

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS VTEC TURBO OIL PAN DILEMMA

I have a Integra LS Vtech motor with turbo running. My oil pan beneath the block seems to be leaking a few drips here and there. My car is straight pipe no cat, and it seems to be burning oil (gray smoke) from the exhaust. Could the reason be that it is from the oil leak in the pan since its a 4 quart with a drilled hole for the turbo. What pan would you guys recommend and also what is the best priced with good quality.
Thanks
Old 12-31-2004, 01:26 AM

Default Re: LS VTEC TURBO OIL PAN DILEMMA (xdeffunkx)

oops i meant VTEC quick spelling error i know someone will probably hassle me on it
Old 12-31-2004, 02:26 PM

Is your oil pan wet with oil? That means it's probably leaking or something above it is. You might check your LS/VTEC oil line and turbo oil feed lines (assuming you spliced from the back of the block) because a leak there will drip pretty much right onto the exhaust and wallah - smoke.

It's hard to tell from what you said - smoke isn't coming OUT of the exhaust is it? 'Cause that indicates another problem. Elaborate.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Re: LS VTEC TURBO OIL PAN DILEMMA (psychotic_z)

basically from the muffler come the gray smoke instead of the white smoke. Also yea i think my oil pan is wet with oil, some friends say it might be the oil panbecause it was tapped from a stock 4 quart pan, so im thinking its the oil pan. BUt the dripping is right below the block, drips only a few drops of oil. Also what other causes could it be? I think the motor is fine, because when we look for oil leaks when we popped the hood, we found none. But underneath right beneath the block there is dripping. Any help would be great
Thanks
Old 01-03-2005, 08:28 AM

Well, FYI, if it's grey smoke... Black smoke is indicative of a rich condition, maybe you're seeing this instead of grey smoke? Double check that.

And did you have the oil return fitting welded to the oil pan? If it's just tapped and threaded in, there's a chance that could be causing a small drip-drip leak.

Try this too - put the front end on jackstands. Wipe up all the oil around the oil pan and make sure everything is clean and dry. Have someone start the car while you lay underneith (safely) and find out exactly where the oil starts to drip. I've done that a few times..
Old 01-04-2005, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS VTEC TURBO OIL PAN DILEMMA (psychotic_z)

my oil leak was from the oil pump not being sealed correctly. you may want to check that out also. i ended up crushing the o-ring that goes inside of it.....stupid mistake..