Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Hybrid ignition system Design: A new idea to discuss

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid ignition system Design: A new idea to discuss

It's pretty common in older Hondas that the ignition coil goes bad in most unexpected place and time. Especially if it's the internal one. Maybe it's too hot inside the distributor or whatever. Anyway they suck big time.
I'm aware there are COP systems which can be adopted to the old engines but they're pretty expensive and need a proper ECU or other devices.
I'd like to stick with the existing ECU and achieve a solution which can be more reliable than the stock one.
So I have an idea how to get rid of the internal coil and stay at the current ignition control.:

These red rectangles are the individual coils. So basically my idea is to connect + going to the coil to + on the individual coils and redirect the ground signal coming out of the ICM to the plug terminals in the distributor cap (the blue line with 'masa' description) and later to the appropriate coils.
So at the end I have a stock ignition control through all the sensors in the distributor but sparks are made by the coils. What really concerns me is the possible delay between the ECU ignition signal and its execution by the coil.
What do you think? Could it be working?
cheers