Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

failed emissions - have the diagnostic report - what do i need to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failed emissions - have the diagnostic report - what do i need to fix?

here is my emissions test diagnostic report:

this is on a stock '90 civic dx hatch. what i noticed is that later in the test, and when my speed was up, the levels dropped to below acceptable. so....what do i do to pass?

if i moved things up and swapped in the d16z6 before i need to retest on the 27th, would that do it?
Old 11-05-2002, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: failed emissions - have the diagnostic report - what do i need to fix? (serious)

this is on a stock '90 civic dx hatch. what i noticed is that later in the test, and when my speed was up, the levels dropped to below acceptable. so....what do i do to pass?

if i moved things up and swapped in the d16z6 before i need to retest on the 27th, would that do it?
if you go D16Z6, the smog people might notice its a newer motor than your car and you'll have to be compliant with OBD1 type wiring and ECU. You'll basically have to convert your car to OBD1.

as for your DX motor, have you tried putting a new 02 sensor on? and how's the catalytic....old/new/don't know?
Old 11-05-2002, 07:54 AM

Default Re: failed emissions - have the diagnostic report - what do i need to fix? (Katman)

i'm in maryland, so there's no inspection, only the emissions test. i've already converting it to odb1, so that's not a problem.

the got the car less than a year ago, so i don't know about the o2 sensor or the cat, but i haven't changed either.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: failed emissions - have the diagnostic report - what do i need to fix? (serious)

i'm in maryland, so there's no inspection, only the emissions test. i've already converting it to odb1, so that's not a problem.

the got the car less than a year ago, so i don't know about the o2 sensor or the cat, but i haven't changed either.

ok, so you're running a 4-wire 02 sensor and an OBD1 ecu now? if so, which obd1 ecu are you running?
Old 11-05-2002, 08:55 AM

Default Re: failed emissions - have the diagnostic report - what do i need to fix? (Katman)

right now i'm just running stock, with the 89 engine and unheated o2 sensor. would putting the engine in before the next test help me pass?
Old 11-05-2002, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn.. you're screwed all the way across....

have you checked operation of your o2 sensors..
put it on the scope.. and watch the flucuations..

or if your volt meter has a hold funcion..
has the max and min voltage?
Old 11-05-2002, 12:51 PM

Default Re: failed emissions - have the diagnostic report - what do i need to fix? (Crazydave)

they stoped emissions years ago where i live but,what i used to do with my car was :if you have a race track close buy ,get some "100 oct." put that in your car and try to run your car real hard so your cats nice and extra hot right befor the test.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: failed emissions - have the diagnostic report - what do i need to fix? (Crazydave)

if you're o2 sensor is working..
then probably your cat..
all three of the gasses are high..
making me think the cat isn't working..
Old 11-05-2002, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks like you were either running rich or the cat did not light off early on. I have an old beater chevy celebrity 14 years old and near 200K miles, a real POS. My wife just passed emissions testing by going right after I changed the oil (reduces some unwanted hydrocarbon infiltration from the crankcase) and running the snot out of the car on the interstate then taking it right to emissions testing. I had her keep it at a fast 1400 RPM idle untill it went on the rollers.

Older cars have trouble lighting off the cat if you have to shut it down and wait to get on the dyno.

Hope this helps some.
Regards,
BigMoose
Old 11-05-2002, 02:27 PM

Wow those are some bad scores!

Do you even have a catalytic converter? Check to make sure it's there and not hollowed out.
Also check your O2 sensor as it may be toast.

Are you running a chipped ecu by any chance?

Also- 100 octane gas may help but you may still fail HC's with that as it will contain more toluene.