Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Engine rotates but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rotates but will not start

this is for an b18a in a 89 civic si

Engine rotates but will not start

- Fuel tank empty. Full Tank
- Battery discharged. brand new battery tested with multimeter
- Battery terminal connections loose or corroded. replaced negative with brand new wire.
- Leaking fuel injectors, faulty fuel pump, faulty fuel pressure regulator. brand new fuel pump....havent checked *
- Fuel not reaching the fuel rail. took the fuel rail off and fuel came out when i turned the key
- Worn, faulty or incorrectly gapped spark plugs. brand new gapped to spec (per haynes) spark plugs
- Broken, loose or disconnected wiring in the starting circuit. brand new starter installed; inspected connections.
- Loose distributor is changing ignition timing. brand new dizzy **
- Broken, loose or disconnected wires at the ignition coil or faulty coil. ***

* i checked the resistance on one of the injectors. would that tell if they are worn? i got 2.3 ohms i believe. how do i check fpr?
** how do i set timing if the car doesnt start?
*** where is the ignition coil? if i have a brand new distributor would this be bad?

thats my first problem addressed. my second problem is that when i try to start it, after cranking, gas vapors come out of my breather valve i have on the valve cover because of my intake. i've never seen this before. i only have a few ideas of what this could be. vacuum lines hooked up horribly wrong or timing so off that gas is getting into the head before spark. i dont even know if that makes sense but its all i can come up with. but to try and fix these problems, i put a friends g2 next to mine, and made the vacuum lines the same (just the ones from the intake manifold). and i set the timing as close as i could get it by eye. i have a timing light, but i dont know how to use it if the car wont run. has anyone seen these gas vapors before?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine rotates but will not start (g2_teg_)

alright, have you checked for spark? Also what's your compression looking like?