Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Alright you techer bastards, figure this crank out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Mustang Sally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright you techer bastards, figure this crank out.

Same lobe, 3 different angles followed by the bearing it toasted... I know its extremely hard to tell but in all honesty, what would you guys guess my chance is that I can micropolish the crank and it will be fine? I mean I know I gotta take it to a shop and have them look at it, but just to put my mind at rest at least. The bearing itself is actually still within honda spec (which is .0024, this is .0020) and is smooth all around. The crank obviously is varnished some, but what would you guys guess the condition of the crank is with these pictures. I need to know if I gotta get ready to buy a new one or not.

That lobe itself is very smooth, I can't catch my nail in anything, but theres a small knick missing from the lobe next to it, I'll get a picture of it.

Small chunk!

Modified by KooK at 2:31 AM 12/3/2005
Old 12-03-2005, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Alright you techer bastards, figure this crank out. (KooK)

the crank itself "looks" good but you will never know unless you have it measured.

you said before that you plan on re-building the motor soon anyway....if the engine was not knocking or loosing oil pressure then i would say just put it back together and drive it until you plan to re-build it......

put a new lower half bearing in if you like then once you tear it down again check to see if it wiped that out as well.....
Old 12-03-2005, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KooK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Same lobe, 3 different angles followed by the bearing it toasted... </TD></TR></TABLE>
I wouldn't call that bearing toasted, more like worn. Could have been caused by lugging the engine or maybe revving it on a cold start. The crank journal looks good in your pic but the only way to be sure is to pull out the crank and mic it.

From past experience i'm going to guess there's probably not a problem with it.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alright you techer bastards, figure this crank out. (Chiovnidca)

While we are talking on this subject, here is a nice article on micro polishing, versus micro finishing. http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb20232.htm The superiority of the QPAC equipment versus manual belt finishing is described.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Mustang Sally

Default Re: Alright you techer bastards, figure this crank out. (BigMoose)

Ooo, good read.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The crank looks real good. That chip doesnt look significant. The abnormal bearing wear could be caused by detonation.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Alright you techer bastards, figure this crank out. (Muckman)

The small nick: As long as there are no raise areas on the edges of the nick, you have no problems. As a matter of fact, oil will collect in that small spot and it's not large enough to cause a problem. But if anything is raised on the edges, it will dig into the bearing, and that will cause a problem.

On the bearing wear: I am almost 100% sure that is from detonation. Notice where the wear is? If it were an oiling problem, then you would see the wear pattern on all of the bearing. But since it looks to be on the specific area where pre-detonation would occur, the bearing, over time, was squashed there. I think you have a timing problem, more than an oiling problem. Do all of the bearing look like this? That would help in diagnosis.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Alright you techer bastards, figure this crank out. (Cuda70)

what angle are we looking at that at. becasue if its at the left bottom (looking at it from the timing belt side) its most likely detonation caused by too much advanced ignition timing. if you advanced the timing to much it will cause the pistion/rod to overload the bearing at about the opposite end of the rod wich would be at around the left bottom or about200 degree mark of the crank rotation. i would measure measure measure then measure some more and fugure out what you need to do. but visually the crank LOOKS good. but measure
Old 12-04-2005, 06:23 AM
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Alright you techer bastards, figure this crank out. (rainforest)

the crank looks good, such a small wear on the bobbit of the bearing would not cause damage to the crank, contaminants/dirt scratched it up looks like.
Bearing damage looks more like improper seating to me; but if it was detonation you will be able to tell by the rod bearings near by.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Mustang Sally

Default Re: Alright you techer bastards, figure this crank out. (mmuller)

Crank bearing number 2 (Center drivers side) *Small peice missing from lobe pictured*

Crank Bearing number 3 (Center bearing) *Center lobe pictured three times*

Crank bearing number 4 (Center Passanger side)

Old 12-04-2005, 12:03 PM

looks good, only so much you can say by looking at a jpeg on the internet. take it to a competent crank shop or machine shop to find out for sure
Old 12-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Mustang Sally

Default Re: Alright you techer bastards, figure this crank out. (743power)

Shes headin there tomorrow.

Thanks guys!