Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

which setup? need your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which setup? need your opinions

okay im lookin at trading my setup for another. I need you guys to help me decide which one to go with. My car is a DD that I like to do a lot of spirited and aggressive driving on. I live in central Ohio so anyone who lives around here should know its bumpy as hell. Anyways on to my setup.

I currently have Buddy Club N+ coilovers. I have them on my 99 hatch.

I would be trading for a Ground Control/Koni setup with 320 lbs/in on the fronts and 250 lbs/in in the rear.

So my dilema is that I'm afraid that I wont like the softness of the gc/koni setup. My buddy clubs are a lil stiff for DD around here. My gf gets irritated with my car. haha but I dont wanna go too soft on the spring rates for fear of a lack of aggressive feel.
I still have plans for an SI 26mm sway bar up front and 22mm CTR sway bar in the rear so I'd also like to factor that in. Anyone with experience with spring rates similar to the gc/koni setup I listed in here let me know what you would go with.

Hit me up and let me know what you guys think.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which setup? need your opinions

if you need the WAF (wife approval factor), then the 320/250 would be ok. anything higher than that, you will hear all the complaints (as in "I am not complaining, I am just saying...").
Old 11-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

she's not complaining toooo much. haha. I have actually felt like its a lil stiff myself. I've had a few encounters were the bumps and roads are soo bad. For example I was doin like 35-40ish mph and following a shitty town street and the car straight up lost traction in the rear after hitting a bump. Kinda scared the **** outta me lol. I dont know it's nice on dry days but sometimes when its wet it can get sketchy. I have my worries about when snow falls.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven through Marysville, OH on US 6 and yeah the roads suck ***** up there. My favorite suspension setup ever was Neuspeed race springs (high spring rate) with tokico Illumina 5 way struts. It's kinda old school (this was back in '98) but you could set it to full soft riding with the GF or set it stiffer whenever you want to. It was like night and day difference between full soft and full stiff, so there you get the best of both, no compromises. Plus I think they still sell the tokico's. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go with the ground Control/Koni. It's not "too soft." But you will feel a difference.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I'm gonna keep the BuddyClubs and just set them to one click from full soft. I just installed a GSR rear sway bar last night and it actually seems to have made a difference in bumps and cornering. I feel I can lower the damper settings and just install larger sway bars to keep that "riding on rails" feeling when I'm doin some spirited driving
Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shanez
I think I'm gonna keep the BuddyClubs and just set them to one click from full soft. I just installed a GSR rear sway bar last night and it actually seems to have made a difference in bumps and cornering. I feel I can lower the damper settings and just install larger sway bars to keep that "riding on rails" feeling when I'm doin some spirited driving

You got it all wrong.

Keep your suspension, trade in the GF.

You'll be happier in the end.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, yes! that made my day. I can't really trade the GF in but I am gonna keep the buddy clubs.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should totally trade your set up. If you actually try the different settings of your shock, you will notice very little to no change in dampening. At least with the Koni's you will get adjustability back.