Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ATTN: All with a Koni/Ground Control Setup PLEASE READ!!! (Semi-long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 09:09 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN: All with a Koni/Ground Control Setup PLEASE READ!!! (Semi-long)

Ok whats up first of all? Anyway here is the deal. I am lookin into getting this Koni yellow/GC setup but first I wanna read you guys opinions on how you are enjoying this setup. I was originally going to go with a Tein HA full coilover setup, but since the spring rates were kinda low I decided I wanted to be able to customize the spring rates, so I wannan go with this setup instead. Anyway I have a few questions I would like to be answered from you guys to help me get a better understanding of how this setup is.

1. What spring rates do you run F/R?
2. Why did you choose these spring rates?
3. How well do they work for you in the street and on the track?
4. If you were to do it over, would you have chosen a different setup such as full coilovers, would you just have gotten different spring rates, or is your setup perfect the way it is already?

Now I plan to run this setup on an EG with either a GSR/Type R swap in it, and it will be used mostly on the street since its a daily driver, but it will be also track driven. So I wanted to basically get the most aggressive setup without going crazy everytime I drive over a bump. I want something nice and firm, but not to the point that when i hit small bumps it feels like I fell into a crater. So maybe you can also leave me a suggestion on what you would recommend. Thanks alot you guys.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ATTN: All with a Koni/Ground Control Setup PLEASE READ!!! (Dynamix)

Exacly what I have on my EH3

KONI yellows with GC 425f/300r, works alright so far with the ITR rear sway for street driving.

I do like them but I really wish I would have waited and spend a few extra $$$ on full coilovers; I was looking at Tien or Zeals. But all and all the KONI/GC's are good. I'm waiting to order coils with higher rates for the rear. My opinion may differ then.

[Modified by SLPR, 10:21 AM 12/10/2002]
Old 12-10-2002, 09:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Koni Yellows.

Eibach ERS 425F 550R springs.

I'll be back when I have more time to say why, but it rides great and handles KILLER!

Old 12-10-2002, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ATTN: All with a Koni/Ground Control Setup PLEASE READ!!! (B18C5-EH2)

Koni Yellows.

Eibach ERS 425F 550R springs.

I'll be back when I have more time to say why, but it rides great and handles KILLER!

prolly so stiff in the rear to help with understeer.... u do know u can get different spring rates with teins right? it is possible.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:34 PM

Default Re: ATTN: All with a Koni/Ground Control Setup PLEASE READ!!! (B18C5-EH2)

i wanna hear your reason. im gonna be looking for a nice set for my hybrid eg. since its my daily driver i dont want a drag setup.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the big deal about low-end Teins? I can understand if you want shortened shocks, adjustable shock lengths, or light-weight bodies, but SS and HA don't offer that...
Old 12-10-2002, 08:51 PM

Default Re: ATTN: All with a Koni/Ground Control Setup PLEASE READ!!! (SkyeC)

What's the big deal about low-end Teins? I can understand if you want shortened shocks, adjustable shock lengths, or light-weight bodies, but SS and HA don't offer that...
the height adjustabilty is good, but i like the idea of 16 way adjustable damper. i will probably only change the height twice a year if there are shocks with that many way adjustable damper i will be just as interested in those and a spring setup. i am looking to purchase in the nxt few months so let me know please
Old 12-10-2002, 10:58 PM

Default Re: ATTN: All with a Koni/Ground Control Setup PLEASE READ!!! (nijia555)

I'm running koni yellows with g/c 425 f, 475 r. I love it and almost everyone that has wrode with me, has complimented me on how well it handled as well as how well it rode but, I kinda wish i had spent a couple hundred more on the real thing. At the time everyone i talked to could not get me custom rates with the teins. Who do you guys go to?? Another factor was i really couldn't see myself spending 1500-1800 on coilovers. I wanted to spend no more than a grand but now after having such a nice suspension, i want more and am willing to go big this time, just need a lot of cash. Good luck and you should be happy with this setup. Later
Old 12-11-2002, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ATTN: All with a Koni/Ground Control Setup PLEASE READ!!! (SilverCivic2k)

i just got gc 400 fronts 550 rear and a set of 850lb rears too

where can i get konis cheap?!
Old 12-11-2002, 10:39 AM
Former Moderator

Okay I'm back.

Koni Yellows, why?

Because they are quite somply the most preferred off the shelf dampener in SCCA and they will handle the rates I've chosen for them quite nicely, and they are cheap.

Eibach ERS 425F 550R in 2.5''x8'':

They too are really cheap and they filled the voids left by the old Koni springs that I ditched.

The rates in conjunction with my lack of a front swaybar and a smaller 14mm rear swaybar make the car handle very nicely. I can induce oversteer and bring it back in check failrly easily (on the auto-X course or course) and the ride is actaully better than any other perfromance-oriented sus i've ridden on.

Why not some Teins or other full coil-overs?

Money.

I spent about $670.00 on my entire set-up including all 4 dampeners and springs, so there's no comparision to a full coil-over set-up with custom rates - those run eaily twice as much with custom rates.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:41 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: ATTN: All with a Koni/Ground Control Setup PLEASE READ!!! (roby)

i just got gc 400 fronts 550 rear and a set of 850lb rears too

where can i get konis cheap?!
Those 850s will blow the **** out of most any strut - you do realize this, right?

I'm thinking those are your drag launch springs too, right?

Aside from some custom-valved struts I can't think of anything that will take an 850 springrate and control it well.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:01 AM

My gc/koni set-up is as follows. 350f/400r spring rates, shocks adjusted as needed.
This is run with no sways bars YET.

At the track the car handles very nicely. Understeer is slight at the limit, but not extreme. There is still a good amount of body roll , but i have yet to install sway bars.

On the street it is a firm ride. I listened to people say how rough the car will ride, but unless im on real rough rodes, ride quality is fine. With the Azenis, ride quality is a little worse because the sidewalls are really stiff. I have my crap 13" steelies on now and the ride is better, but nothing significant.

Would i buy something different if i could? Nope.

I read all the time how people are attracted to a coilover because of its 16 way adjustability or what not, but thats worthless to me.

IMO beginners in track days/auto-x/whatever dont have the consistancy to take advantage of such adjustability. Nor do i beleive that beginners have the know-how to make such changes.

Good Luck

Mike
Old 12-11-2002, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes the 850s are for track only.

gc said to use the konis till they blow!
Old 12-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ATTN: All with a Koni/Ground Control Setup PLEASE READ!!! (roby)

i just picked up a used set of GC with 200/180 spring rates. i was lookin into ordering stiffer rates for autoX. How do i go about doin this and how much is it?
Old 12-11-2002, 02:27 PM

Default Re: ATTN: All with a Koni/Ground Control Setup PLEASE READ!!! (Soulless)

Call ground control and see if they can get you the springs. They use eibach springs.

http://www.ground-control.com

Mike
Old 12-11-2002, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. What spring rates do you run F/R?
2. Why did you choose these spring rates?
3. How well do they work for you in the street and on the track?
4. If you were to do it over, would you have chosen a different setup such as full coilovers, would you just have gotten different spring rates, or is your setup perfect the way it is already?
1. 425 (F), 500 (R) with ITR rear sway bar. Nuespeed Upper fronts tie bar and custom upper rear.
2. Was suggest by a few heavy local autocross guys in the bay area.
3. Love it, ride is comfortable and sleek.
4. Yes, what I now know now, I would rather spend the extra $$$ for a real set of coil-over.

But I'm happy with mine.

Maybe if I can find a job real soon, I might sell them.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni Yellows, why?

Because they are quite somply the most preferred off the shelf dampener in SCCA and they will handle the rates I've chosen for them quite nicely, and they are cheap.
Tom,

You may want to consider this. A few years back, Koni was the only "best bang for the buck shelf" dampener out there. Not many knew or couldn't afford the new stuff out there (like Tein, Buddy Club) at the time. (Back in the days, sigh, I miss those days) I've seen in the past year that alot of Honda track guys are now going to the new stuff that is available and cheaper than you would pay to import them many years ago. Reason now there a distuributor in the US.

But, the Koni/GC is still a good combo for the $$$.

Just as saying as the JDM DC 4-1 as to Toda/Hytech headers. Yes, the Toda/Hytech header is badass and makes more power, but the DC can't beat for whats its worth.