Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Omnipower suspension... good or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 02:31 PM
.RJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (IntegraBoy04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntegraBoy04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't recommend the Omnis. They are alright for street use, but just don't seem to be that good of a setup. My friend has them on his hatch, and I drive it all the time, and I'm scared to corner hard in his car. The wheels all seem to want to go seperate ways in the corners. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There could be any number of things wrong with a different car - worn bushings, balljoints, bad alignment, bent susp arms, steering rack, etc etc - near impossible to compare b/t two different cars.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There could be any number of things wrong with a different car - worn bushings, balljoints, bad alignment, bent susp arms, steering rack, etc etc - near impossible to compare b/t two different cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I agree, sounds like out of wack alignment, or bad cornerweighting (you would get the wobbly diner table effect).

hmm!

-Chris

Old 01-06-2005, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There could be any number of things wrong with a different car - worn bushings, balljoints, bad alignment, bent susp arms, steering rack, etc etc - near impossible to compare b/t two different cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All of this stuff has been replaced, and the car is aligned.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (yellowturbo)

there nice.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (BoostedVW)

im wondering about these coilovers myself (as suspension will be the next purchase for my car) but i like something that handles well (but im on budget too)

these sounds pretty sweet with good reviews but im skeptical on how well they are going to handle on a back road or hard cornering? also if they would compare to an eibach and tokico blue setup?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (Hella_JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have any of the tein dampers been tested that anyone knows of?</TD></TR></TABLE>

some have, nothing has really been released.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my opinion? save your money and get either a kyb agx, tokico illumina, or koni yellow with a ground control coilover setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i owned the AGX and they were great, for the price i got them at. but after seeing there range of adjustablity its kinda of a shy away. i *think* there within 100 dollars of the yellow now also.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:06 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some have, nothing has really been released.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn that sucks , im interested.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:15 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ...can be revalved for higher rates by omni at some later date</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some of the Omnipower designs can go up on the spring rates without revalving.

All the designs are not the same.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:17 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (IntegraBoy04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntegraBoy04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> My friend has them on his hatch, and I drive it all the time, and I'm scared to corner hard in his car. The wheels all seem to want to go seperate ways in the corners.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What kind of hatch is this? EG? EK? EP? Where did he buy the units?
Old 01-07-2005, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Some of the Omnipower designs can go up on the spring rates without revalving.

All the designs are not the same.</TD></TR></TABLE>

they said they could setup a set up one of there 18K drag struts for front and rear and they should be able to handle just about any spring rate one would want to run...
Old 01-07-2005, 08:20 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (37DesignMH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 37DesignMH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">these sounds pretty sweet with good reviews but im skeptical on how well they are going to handle on a back road or hard cornering? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If I were you, I'd contact a reseller who sells different kinds of suspensions.

Someone like Robear Racing or Mkteller8 won't care which suspension you buy, so they'd give you honest answers for your application.

I have only seen a couple of sets of Omnipower up close, one for a DC2 and one for an EP3. They seem to be a very good buy. The only question is if they're the correct buy for your application.

To me, the sellers seem to display a significant confidence in the product, since their warranties are time based and do not care how many miles are on the units or for what application they were used. One of the sellers even offers an extended warranty on the product at no cost.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:18 AM

watz better for a civic ek4 application....tein super streets or omni??....yes i know they are debated else where but i guess its a good question to post here again...maybe somethin has been updated....

i was thinkin of goin str8 to the flex...but i live in ny so i dunno if its really worth it for hte harsh ride.....i rather just save money and do a break upgrade...ty
Old 01-07-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (George Knighton)

He has an EK. And he bought them from some company on here that started with a K. He said he can't remember the name though.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:33 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (JDMzEaL18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMzEaL18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">watz better for a civic ek4 application....tein super streets or omni??....yes i know they are debated else where but i guess its a good question to post here again...maybe somethin has been updated....

i was thinkin of goin str8 to the flex...but i live in ny so i dunno if its really worth it for hte harsh ride.....i rather just save money and do a break upgrade...ty </TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf?

english ownz j00, i have no idea what you're saying.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (LilChuck)

I got my Omni coilovers on now and love them. I'd say it is worth the price.
~Chuck
Old 02-17-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (LilChuck)

i live in seattle. lots of bumpy roads. peformance wise everyone says its stiff. does that mean its going to be bouncy as well.

i was thinking of picking up a kit but i want something close to stock smooth ride. not really something competition. what coilover would you recomend.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (thrty8street)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thrty8street &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what do people mean when they say STIFF? Im confused on what is being inplied here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly! One man's stiff is another man's comfy.

Basically, I find all the adjectives to describe ride and handling worthless without either hard numbers (like a shock dyno or a skidpad number) or comparisons (like "compared to the koni sport at full stiff these shocks were more comfortable over pavement irregulrities and BOTS DOTS").

regards,
alan
Old 02-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (37DesignMH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 37DesignMH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
these sounds pretty sweet with good reviews but im skeptical on how well they are going to handle on a back road or hard cornering? also if they would compare to an eibach and tokico blue setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thiink if people were honest with themselves they would admit that these "sound pretty sweet" only because of the price. I really think that when you get done shipping and installing them you will have between $700 - $1000 in expenses.

For only $100 more you could get Koni sports. And for another $300 GC coilivers with any spring rate you want. To me, the 10% to 50% extra cost for a great setup makes the Omni's "sweet deal" sour pretty quickly.

I have learned the hard way that when you cheap out with car parts you always regret it.

regards,
alan
Old 02-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (00R101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00R101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Exactly! One man's stiff is another man's comfy.

Basically, I find all the adjectives to describe ride and handling worthless without either hard numbers (like a shock dyno or a skidpad number) or comparisons (like "compared to the koni sport at full stiff these shocks were more comfortable over pavement irregulrities and BOTS DOTS").

regards,
alan</TD></TR></TABLE>
And your example is worthless as well, seeing as to how the numbers on a dyno are nowhere near enough to give a specific idea of how the car will feel on the road.
I have witnessed this personally; a shock with what appears to be a fine looking dyno plot exhibits undesirable ride qualities on the road when finally matched to the car and springs. And seeing as to how comfort and ride quality are subjective, there is no way to tell if the coilovers will be right or wrong unless you get them on your car (or similar) and test them.

edit: If you are paying $300 to have someone install your coilovers...
Lots of places are offering $700 shipped for Omniman's coilovers. I think they can be found for $650 as well. So the jump to a set of $1200 coilovers is a big one to make.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:06 AM
say it

Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (Noob4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noob4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Lots of places are offering $700 shipped for Omniman's coilovers. I think they can be found for $650 as well. So the jump to a set of $1200 coilovers is a big one to make.</TD></TR></TABLE>

koni yellows with ground control coilovers can be found for $850 (~$880 shipped), and you get adjustable dampers, height-adjustability, the ability to change spring rates up to 550 lbs/in without revalving, and you can revalve/shorten your shocks at a later date, in the US. to top it all off, if you're only driving your car on the street, koni offers a LIFETIME warranty on their dampers.

i don't know where you got $1200 from...
Old 02-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about opinions on DAs? i havent herd any thing about omnis on those. anyone have opinions about them on any DAs? id like to know
Old 02-18-2005, 03:02 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 158 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: (2ndgent3g)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2ndgent3g &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about opinions on DAs? i havent herd any thing about omnis on those. anyone have opinions about them on any DAs? id like to know</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats funny, I found a 5 page thread titled "omnipower full coilovers out for DAs now?? got ?s". Oh hey, look who the author is...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1120101
Old 02-19-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Re: (94eg!)

so are omnis gonna be bouncy for an ek. ???????
Old 02-19-2005, 07:05 PM

of course this is only my opionion but I think a lot of people confuse bouncy as in the suspenion is bouncy with the suspension is stiff as hell and the car is not bouncing your just not in your seat tight enough.

Or people say its bouncy when its not the car bouncing but rather the road is not flat and the car is doing exactly what its suposed to be doing.
Imo bouncy is when you hit a road imperfection and the car is still moving up and down for like 2 blocks till you hit another one.
Its kinda hard for me to make a comparison of jic sf-1 and omni power I realise that now because soo many other things on the car is different the sf-1's where never bouncy and the omni power streets are dam stiff but I do get removed from the seat on large imperfections in the road, best way I can say it is there is this one road imperfection on a highway here that is not unlike a speed bump, well with the jic setup the car would hit it and it literaly felt like the car went into the air and when it came down it stopped moving(up and down) period, now with the omni setup that same bump the car hits that bump never feels like the car has left the ground at all,the impact is far more jarring and the car stops moving up and down just as quickly as the other setup, I like that better because it gives no feeling of being off the ground, a good seat and harness would probably make both setups undriveable on the street. hope that makes sense to someone, at any rate the omni coilover s are worth at least what they cost and I for one would not even try to put any damper less than an ots koni yellow in the same category, agx, tokicoblue/white plz you need at least the koni yellow to be in the same ballpark.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Omnipower suspension... good or not ? (thrty8street)

are they a pretty stiff setup, or more soft for daily use.

Quick Reply: Omnipower suspension... good or not ?