Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

little insight please... appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little insight please... appreciate it.

I’ve been posting of my Tie Rod Dust Boots for a bit now, trying to gather information to attempt a change of them.

Anyway, I called the dealership and asked what else would be wrong with the car if these boots ripped but they couldn’t give me an answer unless I brought it in. I’m guessing the only thing could be the steering rack but mine is fine at the moment. And the right is the ball joints. They are perfectly intact with no grease coming out or ripped. I was thinking of changing that boot covers all the way to the fork (opposite direction from the steering rack) and a person kind enough at the dealership told me that I need not change it unless there is shaft play. But the thing is, since I’m already going to get down there and fix ****, I might as well do it all right?

here's what is ripped apart:

Old 02-14-2006, 08:14 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: little insight please... appreciate it. (the soL that could)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the soL that could &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was thinking of changing that boot covers all the way to the fork (opposite direction from the steering rack) and a person kind enough at the dealership told me that I need not change it unless there is shaft play.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, this section of your post is a little confusing.

If your saying you want to replace the outter tie rods even though they exibit no play or wear, you should just save your money. Yes you have to remove them to get to the gearbox dust boots, but why fix what aint broke.

Next, we need to know some more specific details about your problem to help you with it. You didn't really say exactly what was wrong or torn open, and your picture didn't work either. We need to know if your talking about the inner gearbox dust boots (left, right or both), or the outer tie rod dust boots (left, right or both). You also didn't even say what kind of car this is.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:16 AM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: little insight please... appreciate it. (94eg!)

Okay the picture is working now, and I see you have power steering. Just replace the boots, and don't worry about the tie rods (#1, 17 & 20) if there isn't any play in their balljoints.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: little insight please... appreciate it. (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Okay, this section of your post is a little confusing.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't know what all this stuff is called... just know what it all does. i think it's the ball joint is what i'm talking about. little rubber piece with grease inside of it at the end of the tie rod.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If your saying you want to replace the outter tie rods even though they exibit no play or wear, you should just save your money. Yes you have to remove them to get to the gearbox dust boots, but why fix what aint broke.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the thing is, i don't know how long it's been the way it is because i'm the 2nd owner of the car. and i would like to remove it since i need to anyway to put the boots on. i think it's like 100$ for both left and right. i'm not rich, but it'll save me drama in the long run. the service advisor said they hardly go bad, but i have a feeling that response is money motivated.

Next, we need to know some more specific details about your problem to help you with it. You didn't really say exactly what was wrong or torn open, and your picture didn't work either. We need to know if your talking about the inner gearbox dust boots (left, right or both), or the outer tie rod dust boots (left, right or both). You also didn't even say what kind of car this is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

there's really nothing wrong with the car. it drives straight... no abnormalities that i can think of besides it is too responsive when i turn the steering wheel. i think it's because it's lighter than my 00 accord sedan and i'm not used to it.

the picture is up. the boots i circled are ripped in half. it's the inner portion by the steering rack. the other is what i was mentioning above (i called it the ball joint thing). it's a 94 del sol S model by the way with power steering.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:03 AM
#1 Super Guy

Since you have power steering, there really isn't anything other than the balljoints of the inner tie rod (#1) to be concerned with. If they go bad, you can definently feel play inside the balljoint when you wiggle them with hands. I've experienced that problem before, and it definently noticable. My car was shaking pretty hard under braking, and the wheel had play in it when the car was off the ground.

It is very possible for those boots to be torn for some time, and not cause any problems with the balljoints. Replace the boots and all will be well for several years at the minimum...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

the accordian boots protect the inner tie rods and the seals to the power steering rack. if everything is fine now, good. but they wont last.

in order to replace the accordian boots, you need to take out the outer tie rod. i recommend doing one side at a time because your alignment will be totally screwed up, and at least you can keep a reference by adjusting one side at a time. but youll still need to get a professional alignment afterwards.

stop making new posts on the same topic.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1519886
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1518360
Old 02-14-2006, 11:12 AM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: little insight please... appreciate it. (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
stop making new posts on the same topic.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1519886
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1518360</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, I thought this topic sounded farmiliar. Tyson is right, you've recieved all the advice we can give you. It's time for you to make some decisions & get on with it...
Old 02-14-2006, 02:06 PM

Anyone know where i can get this type diagram for a 92 honda prelude front right suspension ?????
Old 02-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: little insight please... appreciate it. (f22abuilder)

http://www.slhondaparts.com/br...5MTKA