Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Hit Curb car pulling left and right

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit Curb car pulling left and right

Hello wondering if some of you guys can give me some direction, here is the short story:
i hit a curb going about 30mph and bent both the passenger front and rear rims and jacked up my car where it wouldnt steer straight. I replaced the rims and got it aligned so that I could get back and forth to work until i could take it to my regular mechanic.
My mechanic replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends because he said they were bad, but he didn't have a alignment machine so told me to check it out and get another alignment. So i get an alignment done. Still same issue but a little better. I take it to another alignment shop(for second opinion) and they say alignment is out , they redo the alignment but tell me that i need to go to a body shop. The second alignment shop also said the brakes and calipers were working as expected.

What is happening is that when I accelerate , the car pulls slight left. When I de-accelerate the car pulls slight right. When I brake the car pulls harder to the right. I did jack the front up, turn the car on, pressed the brakes mildly and turned both wheels by hand and the passenger side seemed like it was "gripping" tighter than the drivers side.

Is there anything i can actually check for here myself before taking it to a body shop? Ive never been to a body shop before and I dont want to get screwed over by them.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Hit Curb car pulling left and right

Jack up the front end, so that your front tires, or one tire at a time, is hanging free from the ground. Try to forcefully move it, pull the top toward you and push the bottom away from you. Try doing the same on the sides, but understand you may turn the wheel in the process. Feel for looseness.

Maybe your upper A arm bushings are also bad and the mechanic did not fully diagnose the problem. Lower control arm bushings are probably also bad. And/or compliance bushing.

May as well do ES Polyurethane bushings. They can be found thru Autozone, or on Amazon.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:04 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Most likely you have 1 or more bent arm.

If its not the arm its somewhere in the body that it is bent.
The reason the alignment shop told you to go to a body shop is because they can't get it within spec for alignment.

You really should stop driving until you get it diagnosed, as its dangerous enough that a panic stop could cause the end of your life, or worse, somebody else's life.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll check for looseness and try this out. My mechanic did Repace the bushings on the passenger side,I think it was called a sway bar link or something like that.

Originally Posted by theYBLEGAL
Jack up the front end, so that your front tires, or one tire at a time, is hanging free from the ground. Try to forcefully move it, pull the top toward you and push the bottom away from you. Try doing the same on the sides, but understand you may turn the wheel in the process. Feel for looseness.

Maybe your upper A arm bushings are also bad and the mechanic did not fully diagnose the problem. Lower control arm bushings are probably also bad. And/or compliance bushing.

May as well do ES Polyurethane bushings. They can be found thru Autozone, or on Amazon.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm gonna try and get it to a body shop this week. They did tell me that they couldn't get everything into spec and they gave me a printout of before and after the alignment. I wouldn't doubt if something else is bent. I hit the curb pretty dang hard.

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Most likely you have 1 or more bent arm.

If its not the arm its somewhere in the body that it is bent.
The reason the alignment shop told you to go to a body shop is because they can't get it within spec for alignment.

You really should stop driving until you get it diagnosed, as its dangerous enough that a panic stop could cause the end of your life, or worse, somebody else's life.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:02 PM
Trial User

This is called Torque Steer. Did you have your front upper and lower ball joints checked? Wheel bearings checked? Your CV joints or axles? There are many suspension components that could cause Torque Steer. I truly believe that dealerships are your best answer in this scenario. They are the experts in your car.