Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Advics problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Advics problem?

So, I've been collecting stuff to transplant Advics and 350z's rotors onto my car and I'm just wondering whether it would be possible to swap RL's dust shields as well. I know most people don't care about these pieces of tinware, still they are not put there for fun, are they? They are completely different from mine, though. Could they be installed, some custom work included? Or maybe 350z's shields would fit better as they seem flatter and more similiar to mine ('17 accord coupe)?

And one more thing. Some people complained about brake lines fitment:

Acura RL "brembo like" brake upgrade (mini write up)

and more spicifically:

RL caliper upgrade brake line problem - Acura TSX Forum

and here:

2006 TSX - Royal Blue Pearl - 6MT - Project Commuter - Acura TSX Forum

The OP did a great job in this thread, however, having mentioned problems with the OEM Banjo bolts lenght on his car, he didn't give the lenght which actually worked with Advics. Has anyone here experienced similiar issues?

I've already ordered StopTech SSlines and don't know what to expect... Any info is highly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Advics problem?

My stock TSX lines went right on without any issue. I have a 06 MT, FWIW.

Tips: Use the Fat4 brackets and the 350Z Brembo package rotors- the 324mm dia X 30mm thickness versions.

Don't use the kits that require the 320mm non Brembo package rotors.

I used centering rings for the rotor from Fastbrakes.

What pads are you planning on using? All the commonly available pads suck lol. BUT...Carbotech makes pads. I guess you could also try EBC yellows...but for a few bucks more, I'd buy Carbotechs.

I am using my stock dust shields. People who remove them are reckless. Just trim them so the caliper fits. CLEAN/FILE AND PAINT THEM!!! once you cut them. Make sure to get the edges good.

BTW, why are you doing this? Just looks?

If I wasn't a slave to how good they look, I'd just get better pads for the stock calipers. I guess I'd like the RL calipers a little more if I bought WAY more agressive pads. But then, they'd squeal more than the street pads do.

These calipers make for a TON of squeal for whatever reason. To prevent the squeal, you need to use very conservative ceramic **** bricks for pads.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Don't use the kits that require the 320mm non Brembo package rotors. - Well, it all started as a budget project, but now I got hooked on Z1 rotors...

I used centering rings for the rotor from Fastbrakes. - Some people don't use them and I really don't understand their physics!

What pads are you planning on using? All the commonly available pads suck lol. BUT...Carbotech makes pads. I guess you could also try EBC yellows...but for a few bucks more, I'd buy Carbotechs. - To my surprise, my Advics came with brand new original pads, so I'm going to run them off before getting something more sporty. I use Hawks on my prelude and they work pretty well.

I am using my stock dust shields. People who remove them are reckless. Just trim them so the caliper fits. CLEAN/FILE AND PAINT THEM!!! once you cut them. Make sure to get the edges good. - Won't they be too small?

BTW, why are you doing this? Just looks? - Mainly, still, I like my things work as they should..
Old 08-19-2017, 08:58 AM

The dust shields still encompass the rotor. They don't hang over it like they ideally should. But I doubt you can make RL shields fit. Give it a try. Or maybe TL-S shields? You'll need to take apart the hubs.

Hawk doesn't make pads for this caliper.

What are Z1 rotors? I'm not saying to buy brembo branded rotors. I'm saying to buy the kit meant for 324mm (12.8 diameter) rotors, which were used on the 350Z that came with the Brembo package.

Don't use a kit that requires the use of 320mm (12.6") rotors.

The 2 kits are not interchangeable because the rotors have different hat offsets. So you have to buy a kit specifically meant for 12.8" rotors.

If you use 12.6" rotors, the pads will overhang, make a lip, and make a LOT of noise.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Only problem is the 350Z rotors which are 324mm are 30mm wide. The Advics calipers are designed for rotors 24mm wide. They can be made to work, but it is REALLY close, closer than I care to run.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What are Z1 rotors?

Don't use a kit that requires the use of 320mm (12.6") rotors.

The 2 kits are not interchangeable because the rotors have different hat offsets. So you have to buy a kit specifically meant for 12.8" rotors.

If you use 12.6" rotors, the pads will overhang, make a lip, and make a LOT of noise.
Z1 Motorsports: https://www.z1motorsports.com/brakes...rs-p-7373.html
Pricey but light and tempting

I'm kinda confused with your advice refering to rotors size. I was actually going to get 12.8 rotors as you stated and now I've found the old thread where you were complaining about this size - https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspen...xtras-3225662/. Have you solved your fitment problem? Do you mean I should use FFC bracket for a proper installation of 12.8 rotors? That's the one I got. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with hub spacers, which sucks. Are they made of aluminium? I will have to have them fabricated then.

Last edited by RobRac; 08-20-2017 at 07:33 AM. Reason: adding content
Old 08-20-2017, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fitz Williams
Only problem is the 350Z rotors which are 324mm are 30mm wide. The Advics calipers are designed for rotors 24mm wide. They can be made to work, but it is REALLY close, closer than I care to run.
What do you mean by "can be made to work"?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fitz Williams
RL rotors are 28mm wide. I didn't do anything to make my 30mm wide rotors work. I just used the proper fat4 bracket, designed for the 350Z brembo package rotor.

Originally Posted by RobRac
Z1 Motorsports: https://www.z1motorsports.com/brakes...rs-p-7373.html
Pricey but light and tempting

I'm kinda confused with your advice refering to rotors size. I was actually going to get 12.8 rotors as you stated and now I've found the old thread where you were complaining about this size - https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspen...xtras-3225662/. Have you solved your fitment problem? Do you mean I should use FFC bracket for a proper installation of 12.8 rotors? That's the one I got. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with hub spacers, which sucks. Are they made of aluminium? I will have to have them fabricated then.

As mentioned, the kits meant for the 12.6" rotor will not support the 12.8. I originally bought a kit for a 12.6" rotor. Fastbrakes claimed (at the time), that a 12.6 OR 12.8" would work. This was not true.

I had issues with noise in using the 12.6" rotor.

I am currently using a Fat4 customs 12.8" kit.

The fat4 and fastbrakes kits are both made from aluminum.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

When I installed the caliper over the rotor on the bench, there was very little clearance on either side and the caliper had to be shimmed to get it exactly centered. I never tried a new set of pads to see how they fit. And that said, I ran into clearance issues between the caliper and wheel rim, so for the time being I just stuck with my NSX setup. I haven't given up, just working on other things.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The fat4 and fastbrakes kits are both made from aluminum.
Sorry for being unclear - I meant the center rings. FFC doesn't provide them. Did you buy them somewhere else or they are just custom made?
Old 08-21-2017, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by RobRac
Sorry for being unclear - I meant the center rings. FFC doesn't provide them. Did you buy them somewhere else or they are just custom made?
I am using the centering rings from the fastbrakes kit I originally bought. maybe fastbrakes sells them seperate?

They're aluminum. Use a small amount of anti sieze when mating them to the hub/rotor.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you guys!