Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

92 Civic coilover options....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 92 Civic coilover options....

Anyone had blackworks or yonaka coilovers?

Was leaning towards blackworks?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by purplerain11
Anyone had blackworks or yonaka coilovers?

Was leaning towards blackworks?
For those price points there are better options if you ask me. Neither company has been around for a very long time.

What are your goals for the car? I'm not saying either product is bad. But most of these companies that have only been in the coilover scene for a few years or so tend to not last long.

Doesn't it bother you that suspension companies seem to be popping up like rabbits? All at similar price points and all with "1-year warranties."

I'm personally just the "do your homework" type, and am not willing to take the risk in spending $600 on a product that might work when there are time tested companies offering things in the same price range. Progress, Eibach, Tein, to name a few.

These companies are all capitalizing on the low end, don't care about performance, kids who don't have the patience to save up for a product that will perform better and last years instead of months.

I love my $600 progress CS-II setup. However if I could pay the $200 difference now to have koni/ground control with spring rates more suited for my needs I would do it. Hell, for $400 I might do it. Even though $200 is the only cost difference. If I were to sell my current setup I probably would be out $400 after selling my current setup.

Look, all I try to do is let people know that patience, homework, and buying the right product the first time can be very rewarding. I've learned the hard way how much it sucks to have "knock-off" wheels, budget suspension, budget tires, etc. In the lat 7 months since I got all of this stuff I've been replacing all the stuff I'm unhappy with with products that I knew before hand were better. It's not worth the risk to see if a sub-par product will be "good enough" for you. You'll just want to replace it with the cream of the crop months or years down the road.

Why buy it twice or three times? Often enough the higher dollar items also retain their value better too. Like my Volks, I got a great deal on them for $1300, and I can guarantee you that with the new tires I put on them I could sell them for close to $2000.

You can't do that with Rotas and cheap taiwanese coilovers.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what im looking for out of the car is just street daily driving. No autox or anything like that. Thats why i was looking into budget coilovers. I know they arnt as good as koni, bc racing, etc but as i have said (No one listens) i do not need the best for daily driving.

I was just looking for a review on them to see what people think, not my friends uncles brothers dad had them and they were garbage.

Also i do know where you are coming from, do it once, do it right.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Why can't high quality shocks/coilovers be good for daily driving?

I encourage you to save up for something that will last. I really do.

I've been down that road before. Knock off wheels, cheap parts, cheap coilovers, etc. I wound up spending a lot more money replacing those parts with stuff that lasts. My brother had tein basics that blew up, skunk2 Pro S that blew up, and he finally got some Tein SS that lasted the full final 2 years he owned his integra.

If there is anything you shouldn't cheap out on it should be your suspension. Period. It is what keeps you on the road.

progress CS-II has great stuff for daily driving. The 350/250 kit would be fine. But you can't dump your car on their products. They're intended for daily and track use.

I would personally recommend koni/ground control with whatever rates you think you'll like for daily driving. Several people in these forums have put 100,000+ miles on them and use them on 4-5 different cars. They really do last forever. Take comfort in knowing you may only buy suspension this one time if you buy the right product.

Besides you might change your mind in a few years and want to race, or have a nicer suspension. Can't go wrong with Koni. There's a reason so many people harp on how good it is. They've been in the business for decades.

The lifetime warranty should say enough. Why don't these other companies offer them?

Originally Posted by solbrothers
Yeah but what about yanoka coilovers? They are real coilovers not sleeves like the koni / ground control setup. Real coilovers are better. Just look at the JDM colors they are available in
Old 07-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

what im looking for out of the car is just street daily driving. No autox or anything like that. Thats why i was looking into budget coilovers. I know they arnt as good as koni, bc racing, etc but as i have said (No one listens) i do not need the best for daily driving.

I was just looking for a review on them to see what people think, not my friends uncles brothers dad had them and they were garbage.

Whats wrong with haveing the best for daily driving?

9 times out of 10 the best is going to ride better, handle better, and last a hell of lot longer then BWR, Yonka, and any of these Tiwanese made peices of ****.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok if you need a full coilover then why not Progress CS-II's since you don't want to spend $$? I myself had Koni/Skunk2 and loved it, upgraded to AMR and love them as well.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Ek Forever y0!

No one "needs" a full coilover. There is no difference between that and a shock/coil sleeve setup.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Whats wrong with haveing the best for daily driving?

9 times out of 10 the best is going to ride better, handle better, and last a hell of lot longer then BWR, Yonka, and any of these Tiwanese made peices of ****.
I dont have that kinda money at the moment. I am paying for school an stuff. This is only for DD. I will be building up a CRX in the next few years after my mechanics courses. That will be where the time and money goes.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Ek Forever y0!

I dont have that kinda money at the moment. I am paying for school an stuff. This is only for DD. I will be building up a CRX in the next few years after my mechanics courses. That will be where the time and money goes.
I bet you've got enough patience to wait a month and you'll save enough money to make up the price difference.

Or do you? I pay for my college tuition, retirement savings, health ins, rent, etc and make $9 an hour. It takes months of being diligent and saving to buy what I want, but I'm patient and to me it's rewarding to get that quality part. It's also very comforting knowing your purchase will last, retain value, etc. Sitting in my Recaros for the first time was a great feeling. Knowing that I had a "coveted" item I thought I'd never have.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Save.

Saving can be difficult but, often times you will be much better off waiting.

I know how hard it can be, but trust me it's worth it.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because of this thread... I'm going with progress tomorrow.