Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

TRACKED!! All-motor NA d16z6, close ratio transmission - VIDEOS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRACKED!! All-motor NA d16z6, close ratio transmission - VIDEOS!

Hey everyone.

I've finally had a chance to take my project to the track. I took my 1993 Honda Civic del Sol Si with an NA built d16z6 and close ratio transmission to the open lapping session hosted by touge.ca at the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, Driver Development Track in Bowmaville, Ontario.

I'm running BF Goodrich g-Force Rival S 205-50-15 tires. The suspension and brakes have all been upgraded. You can see the details in an older thread here. It doesn't include the new motor and transmission details but the brake and suspension upgrades are still current.

You can see the engine build details here and the transmission build here.

Compared to last year the car feels like a completely different vehicle. There's a substantial difference in power now. You can really feel and hear the VTEC engagement with the Rocket Motorsports stage-4 camshaft. I'm making power right up to 7500rpm. The MFactory 3rd gear is the biggest improvement. I'm able to keep the motor in VTEC and make good power at higher RPM's with the RM camshaft and valve train. Compared to last year this is the most noticeable improvement.

I've attached the links to some video clips I made of the day. Most were recorded from my GoPro and a couple with my iPhone using the Track Addict application.

Chasing a B16A swapped Honda Civic Si (EX coupe in the US), Nissan Sylvia, BMW 235i and a Porsche Cayman S. The driver of the Civic and I had some great battles thoughout the day. He's an excellent driver.

Chasing a Honda S2000

Chasing a Nissan GTR

Chasing a Porsche GT3

Chasing a B20VTEC swapped Acura EL and Nissan 350z.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: TRACKED!! All-motor NA d16z6, close ratio transmission - VIDEOS!

Looks like you had fun...
I don't understand the whole concept of the touge.
Is passing allowed? I guess I don't understand all the lifting off the gas either.
Can you tell us what its all about?
Old 08-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirty19
Looks like you had fun...
I don't understand the whole concept of the touge.
Is passing allowed? I guess I don't understand all the lifting off the gas either.
Can you tell us what its all about?
Hey!

It was intense fun.

This event was an "open lapping" event. It isn't wheel-to-wheel racing. It's essentially an event for people who want to take their car - be it their daily driver or dedicated track project - to the track. It's not a competition like Time Attack, for example. When running on the track in open lapping, if you are impeding the progress of the vehicle behind you, you are required to keep your line but either waive or signal the faster vehicle to pass you. You are to let up in the gas to help the passing vehicle. Alrhough it isn't wheel-to-wheel it can still be very competitive since you are either trying to catch the vehicle ahead of you or keep ahead of the vehicle behind you.

I hope this helps answer your question.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Curlybandit
Hey!

It was intense fun.

This event was an "open lapping" event. It isn't wheel-to-wheel racing. It's essentially an event for people who want to take their car - be it their daily driver or dedicated track project - to the track. It's not a competition like Time Attack, for example. When running on the track in open lapping, if you are impeding the progress of the vehicle behind you, you are required to keep your line but either waive or signal the faster vehicle to pass you. You are to let up in the gas to help the passing vehicle. Alrhough it isn't wheel-to-wheel it can still be very competitive since you are either trying to catch the vehicle ahead of you or keep ahead of the vehicle behind you.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Ahhh got it I guess one could call it point by passing?
Good Deal, its seat time for sure.
Thanks for sharing!