Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tips for D16Z6 1993 EX Owner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for D16Z6 1993 EX Owner?

I was just wondering (other than swapping to a B series motor) what types of mods would be my best bet right now...

I mean anything too... Engine, suspension, etc. I'm very curious about the engine because I would love to do some of the work myself if possible.

If you have any suggestions it would be cool if I could get a "Low Budget" suggestion and then a "Saving Budget" suggestion.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

the most overlooked part on the car that makes the largest difference (acceleration, cornering and braking)... tires.
better tires are a priceless mod to any car.

after that, lower the car a little, add better brake pads and maybe a shorty intake.

that will get you started on your way to a true addiction like the rest of us.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tips for D16Z6 1993 EX Owner? (Platinum.Skillz)

low budget wont make any perfomance gain on d16z6 engines, i had a d16z6 engine before and spent a lot of money on it..still very slow.. and suspension ..u are looking for front and rear ..upper and lower strusts, springs..shocks...rims... depends on how much u are looking for to spend
Old 10-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Rims and tires can be pretty cheap for you since you live in CA and the market is pretty full. Rims like SI's, GSR blades, LS mesh etc etc can be part of a good rim/tire set up.

Suspension will also help and Security.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Platinum.Skillz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just wondering (other than swapping to a B series motor) what types of mods would be my best bet right now...

I mean anything too... Engine, suspension, etc. I'm very curious about the engine because I would love to do some of the work myself if possible.

If you have any suggestions it would be cool if I could get a "Low Budget" suggestion and then a "Saving Budget" suggestion.

Thanks in advance!</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Suspension and brakes. You can do Koni yellow with GC coilovers for about $800 from a couple people on here, or if you don't need something that tight, go with Tokico/tein. I'm also going to stainless lines, new rotors from autozone (blanks) and Hawk pads, out the door for $230.

2. Rims and tires - Look around at a bunch of forums. I'm getting a set of 5Zigen proracer for 1/2 price from one of the track racer guys around here. A little flaking of the paint, but so what?

Once you've done that, learn to drive it at high revs. Maybe a short ram or CAI, and save up for anything you really want to do. I'm saving for (probably) a B20 swap to get the torque for track.

John
Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Stop piece mealing and save up enough for a cheap turbo build... anything else and your waisting your time...

TRUST ME...

I have a 93 civic ex with 240k miles on it... and I've dumped all sorts of money into stupid one at a time upgrades upto and including fully rebuilding the head with Compcam cams springs and retainers...

The car isn't SLOW... but it's DEFINATELY not fast...

If I had saved through 2-3 of the impulse purchases I made and put together a well organized turbo kit it would be a FAST car at this point with less money spent..

If you want a fast 1.6 you NEED to turbo it...
Old 10-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

i/h/e for a little bit of power. Than work on the suspension and looks of the car.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tips for D16Z6 1993 EX Owner? (Aodhan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Once you've done that, learn to drive it at high revs.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Wtf does that mean, I didn't know I had to learn that!

Depending on your budget, almost all worthwhile mods are of the "Saving Budget" type. Good suspension is going to be about $500-$600 used if your patient, about $900 ish new, depending on what you want. Rims are probably the best bet, as stated before, you can get a nice set of si rims with good tires for about $350 in my area, that's what I would recommend. Or maybe some used Rota rims for $500 or so.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1. Suspension and brakes. You can do Koni yellow with GC coilovers for about $800 from a couple people on here, or if you don't need something that tight, go with Tokico/tein. I'm also going to stainless lines, new rotors from autozone (blanks) and Hawk pads, out the door for $230.

2. Rims and tires - Look around at a bunch of forums. I'm getting a set of 5Zigen proracer for 1/2 price from one of the track racer guys around here. A little flaking of the paint, but so what?

Once you've done that, learn to drive it at high revs. Maybe a short ram or CAI, and save up for anything you really want to do. I'm saving for (probably) a B20 swap to get the torque for track.

John</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd go with KYB AGX over the Tokico's if your on a budget H&R springs over the Tein as well.

I'm kind of in the boat as you, new to tuning, going to be running a z6, but my budget is non existant.

I've been told to make the car comfrotable to drive, before you start working on any performance aspects.

But if I were you, I wouldn't waste the cash on some bolt ons. Build yourself a turbo kit.

also, a good site with lots of d series info, http://www.d-series.org/forums...76a25&

Hope it helps, and I hope the mods don't DELETE my post again.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tips for D16Z6 1993 EX Owner? (kuja396)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16a3delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i/h/e for a little bit of power. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't bother, there is nothing I hate more than a slow *** car with a fart can. Besides, its not faster
Old 10-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kuja396 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't bother, there is nothing I hate more than a slow *** car with a fart can. Besides, its not faster</TD></TR></TABLE>

no one asked you what you like or hate

OP ive had a z6 for 3 years now
engine
full cold air intake, header, full cat back exhaust, and an ignition upgrade.

suspension
lower it a little. i have megan racing springs and strut bars both upper and rear lower. it handles really well.

brakes
i havent touched mine yet sorry

clutch
you need to upgrade it eventually. research. most people will suggest act, or exety. i have a competition clutch and 8 pound flywheel.

tires and wheels
use you own interest here. what ever wheels appeal to you. and a good set of tires.

quality parts mean a lot too. most ebay is crap. get good brand names. theres not much you can do to a d16z6 to make a huge gain besides boost. but it will respond to bolt ons. enough to get you hooked anyway lol. good luck.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tips for D16Z6 1993 EX Owner? (DCSportEJ1Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DCSportEJ1Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
no one asked you what you like or hate
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Fortunately for me this is the World Wide Web and I will express my opinion as I want. Obviously your still upset that you have had a slow *** car for three years now, I'm sorry for that bro.. but you don't have any room to tell me that "no one asked you" because...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Platinum.Skillz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you can read (which I hope you can after your responding to these threads) he did ask me for suggestions, my suggestion is not to be another damn ricer with a slow car and an annoying exhaust.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kuja396 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Fortunately for me this is the World Wide Web and I will express my opinion as I want. Obviously your still upset that you have had a slow *** car for three years now, I'm sorry for that bro.. but you don't have any room to tell me that "no one asked you" because... </TD></TR></TABLE>

as i said no one ask your opinion. nor did anyone say put a weld on muffler on your car. i suggested tastefull, mild, and affordable mods. and as for my car being slow is also a matter of opinion WHICH NO ON ASKED FOR. i think a full interior, n/a mildly modded single cam running a 15.2 is pretty impressive. its not build, boosted, gutted, or set up to drag. not everyone has the goal of a 10 second car. theres nothing wrong with having fun with a mid to high 15 second car. and the definition of the infamous RICER is open to interpretation as well. like i said no one asked your opinion. get over yourself sweetheart.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I/H/E = 10-15hp if your being generous... and it will cost you ~ 800-1200 depending on which one's you go with...

for 800-1200 I could build a turbo kit that would give your 30-80hp NO PROBLEM...

I/H/E is a waste of time and money and if you have any serious intention on driving a fast civic eventually you will need to throw the Intake and Header in the garbage when you realize that turbo is the only economical way to make power...

FYI I have the flwg mods and my car is in NO WAY a fast civic:

D16y8 intake manifold
Cold Air Intake
Comp cams stage 2 cams springs retainers
ARP head studs
Cometic HG
Header
Cat
Exhaust
Koni/GC susp.
Rear disk conversion
External Coil
Lightweight Flywheel/upgraded clutch
Short Shifter
Full ES poly bushings
Lightweight rims
Teg seats

ITR brakes waiting to go on
BI-Xenon headlights waiting to go on

If I had a time machine I wouldn't have done ANY of those mods... I would've turboed a stock civic and built up the rest later... the stock EX has decent brakes decent suspension but no where near enough power.

The ONLY things IMO besides turbo that are worth while are:

Seats
Suspension
Lightweight Wheels

Rear disk are ok.. makes the braking WAY more balanced ... UNLESS you adjust your rear drums correctly and often... in which case IMO drums are better...
I'd sooner upgrade the fronts and THEN do the rears if I still felt the need for improvement.

Cams would make a world of difference in a turboed car but for a stock car it's not really THAT great.... def. not worth the amount of money it costs for the cam/springs/retainers.

Most of the stuff I've done was in preperation for turbo... but frankly I should have just spent the money on the turbo first and upgraded the rest as I felt the need...

Long story short... decide what you want in the end FIRST... then work in logical steps towards that goal...

IMO if you are EVER going to go turbo do it in the begining... it will be the most satisfiing upgrade and DEFINATELY the best bang for the buck you will EVER get out of any mod.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

93 EX owner here also.

If money is tight, dont worry about swapping the motor or building the Z6...you can still have a very fun car without being "fast".

First thing I did and would reccomend to you is suspension!
My car handles awesome right now. Currently running Coilovers, Rear LCA, ASR Brace, ITR Rear Sway Bar. That, with a good wheel and tire combination and you have one fun, good handling car. Then throw on a SRI and a catback exhaust if you would like to open up the exhaust flow a little (dont go big, it'll only hurt you).

Enjoy it.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tips for D16Z6 1993 EX Owner? (NonovUrbizniz)

why cant you guys let people have fun with a mild car. not everyone wants a turbo. fast is different to each person. and to some people a car thats actually fast. like built engine, turbod, and tuned is too fast. which wouldnt be fun to them. i dont think anyone here does things to there car because they have some kind of obligation to something. they do it for fun. so relax a bit.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tips for D16Z6 1993 EX Owner?

Instead of all of us arguing for no f@cking reason, why dont we wait until the OP to come back on and tell us what his WHP goals are and his budget?

Think about it also, if you were on "budget" would you spend a grand on I/H/E and still make **** for power? You just spent all that money just to be loud and annoying.

For that price (1grand), I picked up my complete B18b1 swap and had $200 left over to maybe spend on tools and a Helms manual to do some **** myself/yourself.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tips for D16Z6 1993 EX Owner? (95ProjectEJ1)

Look...

Quote: If I had a time machine I wouldn't have done ANY of those mods... I would've turboed a stock civic and built up the rest later...

Quote: First thing I did and would reccomend to you is suspension!

Quote: Think about it also, if you were on "budget" would you spend a grand on I/H/E and still make **** for power? You just spent all that money just to be loud and annoying.

Thats all I'm saying, Don't waste money on bolt on engine stuff for a d series, its a complete waste, unless its a bolt on turbo IMO start with anything besides that, interior, suspension, rims, just not the engine (unless its a swap or a turbo) especially until you decide what you want to do exactly with your car.

DCSportEJ1Civic, 15 seconds isn't impressive to anyone... And I apprechiate the sweetheart comment, that was really cute.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wtf does that mean, I didn't know I had to learn that!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably why you're so bitter and bitchy.

All I meant was most people driving don't keep the revs high enough on the D16 to keep it in the optimum range for power, so they bog. I did until someone showed me what they meant, and it made me a lot faster almost immediately.

John
Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Aww sorry about that, you didn't deserve my comment, I just assumed everyone knew to shift at redline and keep it near redline when hauling ***. Its really important in a D series because of the lack of torque it has.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tips for D16Z6 1993 EX Owner?

Yeah, we have all made the mistake of getting our cars and dropping $$$ for I/H/E and ended up regreting it later down the road lol.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DCSportEJ1Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why cant you guys let people have fun with a mild car. not everyone wants a turbo. fast is different to each person. and to some people a car thats actually fast. like built engine, turbod, and tuned is too fast. which wouldnt be fun to them. i dont think anyone here does things to there car because they have some kind of obligation to something. they do it for fun. so relax a bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nobody's exited except you... the OP asked for opinions we are supplying our opinions.

Just because they don't gel with yours doesn't mean we care what he or you do with your cars. we are mearly trying to share our experiences and thoughts like he asked us to...
Old 10-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kuja396 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aww sorry about that, you didn't deserve my comment, I just assumed everyone knew to shift at redline and keep it near redline when hauling ***. Its really important in a D series because of the lack of torque it has. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, never knew that before someone showed me. I was consistently shifting around 5500 rpm, when max power is at 6500 rpm. Torque still sucks, which is one reason I'm either swapping a B20 or B18 (LS) into the Sol for the track.

John
Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 PM

Ok well... now that I'm back at the daycare.... wow... lol.

Anywho, I would LOVE to get to 200hp; but on my budget I probably won't get there.

Now, as far as that goes I was already leaning towards what people are saying anyway... Interior/Exterior first THEN the engine. I've got wheels/tires on order, and I'm replacing my axles/struts/coilovers very soon.

I also want to do a wire tuck on my engine bay as well. Now for that, I might need to wait until I'm done modding my engine anyway.

My budget is in no way enough to buy a turbo kit for 2-3k. I don't want a track car, I want a fun/speedy STREET car that looks clean. I got a Civic because it's compact and has a smaller engine. I've had big engine/bulky cars and I don't like them. I just want my car to have some more get-up-and-go, ya know what I mean?

As I said, 200hp is dreaming to me. I just want to be able to FEEL my car moving when I step on the gas.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Platinum.Skillz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok well... now that I'm back at the daycare.... wow... lol.

Anywho, I would LOVE to get to 200hp; but on my budget I probably won't get there.

Now, as far as that goes I was already leaning towards what people are saying anyway... Interior/Exterior first THEN the engine. I've got wheels/tires on order, and I'm replacing my axles/struts/coilovers very soon.

I also want to do a wire tuck on my engine bay as well. Now for that, I might need to wait until I'm done modding my engine anyway.

My budget is in no way enough to buy a turbo kit for 2-3k. I don't want a track car, I want a fun/speedy STREET car that looks clean. I got a Civic because it's compact and has a smaller engine. I've had big engine/bulky cars and I don't like them. I just want my car to have some more get-up-and-go, ya know what I mean?

As I said, 200hp is dreaming to me. I just want to be able to FEEL my car moving when I step on the gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In all honestly, just save your money. I've got a D, I've wasted 2 months on bolt ons. It's not worth the investment. You can put togeather a turbo for under a grand, just have to find the right deals.

Quick Reply: Tips for D16Z6 1993 EX Owner?