Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Removal of E-brake components

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of E-brake components

I would like to hear how many of you have removed your e-brake (handle, cables, etc.).

Aside from helping to keep the car from moving around in the trailer, I cannot think of any real benefit in keeping it on the car. Perhaps I am overlooking something of some importance?

Before anyone gets too excited, I am speaking in reference to a dedicated track car that gets trailored to and fro.

-Harley
Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removal of E-brake components

my racecar still has e-brake components. I don't know why though? lol its handy sometimes but rarely used. I do set it when I'm in the trailer, but never when in the padock.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atmosfear
I would like to hear how many of you have removed your e-brake (handle, cables, etc.).

Aside from helping to keep the car from moving around in the trailer, I cannot think of any real benefit in keeping it on the car. Perhaps I am overlooking something of some importance?

Before anyone gets too excited, I am speaking in reference to a dedicated track car that gets trailored to and fro.

-Harley
I removed my e-brake and the only time it is a small hassle is loading or unloading off the the trailer. Easy way to get rid of a few pounds for something you'll most likely never need on the race track.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ditched mine. Some prefer to keep an ebrake as it can be a safety measure, in case a hydro component/brake line fails you have some sort of way to slow the car. This is in a rare case however and likely you can pitch the car into the dirt or runoff area if such a thing occurs, but that is up to the driver and the track.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine is still in the car for piece of mind in case the pedal goes to the floor.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I removed mine too. But, if I would do it again, I'd keep my E-Brake. I learned that saving less than 4lbs. wasn't worth it. The use of the e-brake during towing, loading or moving the car is more convenient for me than to save the weight of the cables and brake handle-which are located low on the car anyway.

Also, it helps during standing starts on inclined starting blocks at tracks like Laguna or Mid-Ohio. Lastly, as Justin says, if the brakes were to go out, I'd use it to slow the car down or to TRY to avoid a wall....body work is expensive
Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vtecjj
I removed mine too. But, if I would do it again, I'd keep my E-Brake. I learned that saving less than 4lbs. wasn't worth it. The use of the e-brake during towing, loading or moving the car is more convenient for me than to save the weight of the cables and brake handle-which are located low on the car anyway.

Also, it helps during standing starts on inclined starting blocks at tracks like Laguna or Mid-Ohio. Lastly, as Justin says, if the brakes were to go out, I'd use it to slow the car down or to TRY to avoid a wall....body work is expensive

Bodywork as in fenders, hood, tibia, knee caps.
I left mine in too for the above reasons.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I removed mine as well. Only time I had a problem is when I rented a fancy tilting trailer and needed another person to load the car. Otherwise there is no need for it on a track car.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My racecar still has the e-brake. I say keep it. It makes loading/unloading/parking it so much easier. Of course, as seasoned track junkies we know never to set it after a session.

There's very little weight and where there is weight it's low and the added convenience of having it nice and every little extra convenience you can get when it comes to setting up/tearing down from a race weekend does wonders.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my old one had it. my newest one does not (purchased that way). if it were up to me i would definitely keep it. i can load and unload it no problem but sometimes its just easier to reach in and grab the brake. also, like meris said, for those standing starts when the ground isn't level.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtecjj

Coming from rally experience, standing starts on an incline with a handbrake are a life saver. Even on flat ground it's nice. Hold the e-brake, let out the clutch until you just feel it bite and then push it in a little. Set your rev's and then drop the clutch/e-brake when it's go time.