Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

The Official Formula 1 2011 season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2011 season Thread

Does anyone know what the latest set of engine rules are? Have they changed again since qualifying?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by njn63
Does anyone know what the latest set of engine rules are? Have they changed again since qualifying?
The Technical Working group decided that all cars would run with 10% throttle open when the driver lifts off.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know what time it is on and channel? Not on speed so I imagine its one of the ABC dates.

Nvm found it, noon on Fox.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks what happened to Powers today.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:42 PM
eight equals equals equals D

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JmurGSR98
Sucks what happened to Powers today.
and what happened to him?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spun out from Franchitti and hit from behind by Tagliani
Old 07-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So... what are the chances Webber is gone at the end of the season?

Blown diffuser ban is over until the end of the season:
Originally Posted by http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/264062/teams-agree-to-scrap-blown-diffuser-ban/
F1 governing body the FIA has come to an agreement with teams over the off-throttle usage of blown diffusers, with Ferrari and Sauber now willing to join their rivals in accepting a reversal of the recently imposed ban. The two outfits allegedly disagreed with the proposal submitted on Saturday, but have since changed their minds.

Blown diffusers have been present in the sport since Red Bull introduced the concept at the start of 2010. It is this year, however, that outfits have managed to map their engines to flow as many hot exhaust gases into the diffuser when off the throttle as when applying full power. The subject has been the centre of much wrangling at Silverstone and very much overshadowing practice on Friday.

Following more meetings between team representatives and the FIA, it has finally been agreed that the concept should be allowed, meaning the settings used in Valencia will be back in action for the German Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.

This means that, up to the end of the season, full diffuser blowing will be allowed but changes between qualifying and the race remain illegal.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else hate when they show it on Fox? HD feed was going in and out and the intros suck compared to the normal speed intro.

I hope they keep the announcers if F1 sells to news corp like rumored.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by known
Anyone else hate when they show it on Fox? HD feed was going in and out and the intros suck compared to the normal speed intro.

The announcers have nothing to do with who 'owns' F1. I don't have a problem w/the Fox broadcast. Sure, the SpeedTV guys spend a little more time discussing things to casual viewers, but not to the point where it's annoying. They're just trying to do their part to hopefully gain more viewers that possibly don't have Speed and have never seen F1. Do I miss the 1/2 hour pre-show? No, not really - I keep up with several F1 sites online everyday, so it's not like I'm learning anything new in those 30 min before the race. I applaud Fox for airing the Canadian GP in it's entirety. Not many networks would stick with a sports broadcast through a 3 hour rain delay.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tim2179
Do I miss the 1/2 hour pre-show? No, not really - I keep up with several F1 sites online everyday, so it's not like I'm learning anything new in those 30 min before the race. I applaud Fox for airing the Canadian GP in it's entirety. Not many networks would stick with a sports broadcast through a 3 hour rain delay.
While I don't watch the typical 1/2 hour pre-show, I think it seems really rushed to cut into the race when they're lining up on the grid. I guess that's sort of F1's fault though for having a race start at 12:00 instead of 12:15 or something that would line up better for the tv schedule.

I was very surprised that Fox stuck through that rain delay. I give them a lot of credit for that.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well there arent a lot of other sports to cover right now but it was nice they covered the rain delay.

I was talking about the 2-3 min intro at the beginning when they hype up grudges and rivals. I dont need the pre race and post race but I dont mind them.

My point was I like the announcers speed provides which fox has been broadcating and I would like for them to continue on if F1 is sold. Obviously they have nothing to do with who owns F1.

I would rather not have a bunch of tools like Joe Buck announcing F1.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Scuderia!!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1 hour BBC pre-show for this race was pretty awesome. There's a BIG difference between having the full commentary crew at the race weekend, as opposed to Speed's Will Buxton being the only one, while the rest of the commentary "box" is actually at a sound studio in the USA.

I typically just watch the BBC coverage over Speed/Fox. Solid 1 hour pre race and 1 hour post race. Eddie Jordan always has some good things to say.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by db1love
Scuderia!!
pfft you know they were the ones crying about blown diffusers because they made the biggest jump after the slight change...

Originally Posted by Billy Elliot
1 hour BBC pre-show for this race was pretty awesome. There's a BIG difference between having the full commentary crew at the race weekend, as opposed to Speed's Will Buxton being the only one, while the rest of the commentary "box" is actually at a sound studio in the USA.

I typically just watch the BBC coverage over Speed/Fox. Solid 1 hour pre race and 1 hour post race. Eddie Jordan always has some good things to say.
I will have to check this out
Old 07-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well there arent a lot of other sports to cover right now but it was nice they covered the rain delay.

I was talking about the 2-3 min intro at the beginning when they hype up grudges and rivals. I dont need the pre race and post race but I dont mind them.

My point was I like the announcers speed provides which fox has been broadcating and I would like for them to continue on if F1 is sold. Obviously they have nothing to do with who owns F1.

I would rather not have a bunch of tools like Joe Buck announcing F1.
You do know that news corp owns Fox and SpeedTV right? Besides, why would the fact that they own F1 change anything about the US broadcast?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know they own fox but I dont think they own all of speed but do have a major holding if not majority.

If F1 is sold there will be a major push for newscorp to profit off it so Im guessing that it will be on Fox more regularly which was all I was pointing out. I dont think it needs to be debated I was just adding my opinion.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed. Watching them on Fox just isn't the same. Things i don't like about it are

- way more commercial breaks
- no pre-race show
- we are almost midway through the season and we have to hear them talk about all the changes again cuz it's on Fox for all the new viewers.
- constant explaination of why they do what they do in F1 for the above reason
- One they picked up coverage after the race had started.
- HD in and out

Just more exciting on speed, which is why i can't understand cuz it's the same company and they have something that works on speed but they change format for fox? IDK.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think this season the Fox broadcast isn't nearly as bad as in previous seasons where they seemed to really dumb it down. They would constantly compare F1 to NASCAR and spending more time pointing out why they're different. I DVR all races so commercials don't bug me too much, and lately I've been skipping forward through the pre-race show since it's pretty boring anyway.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<BBC only for me. They put on such a good show with good insight and top notch camera work. Watching live puts a hamper on your schedule so I just choose to download it and watch when I like. That way I can always rewind or skip and take my time with it. Too bad we cant get BBC here but I dont mind not watching it live since many times its way off on our time schedule.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Rumors are surfacing again about Raikkonen replacing Webber at Red Bull... I don't think Webber is going anywhere, anytime soon, but I think Kimi would be a great fit there.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Webbers placing so far this season:

Australia 5th
Malaysia 4th
China 3rd
Turkey 2nd
Spain 4th
Monaco 4th
Canada 3rd
Europe 3rd
Great Britain 3rd

Sucks that the team takes away what mightve been his only win this season.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tim2179
Rumors are surfacing again about Raikkonen replacing Webber at Red Bull... I don't think Webber is going anywhere, anytime soon, but I think Kimi would be a great fit there.
Why would kimi be a good fit there? His last season vs massa it seemed like his determination was gone. As we have seen how hard it has been for MSC to come back and be competitive, i highly doubt kimi be back. Sorry never really like him as a driver or his personality, maybe a little bias. I can't immagine why they just wouldn't find new talent to be a support driver for vettle.

Besides do you really think kimi will maintain the gap? He won't be a number 2.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The Destroyer

Australia 5th
Malaysia 4th
China 3rd
Turkey 2nd
Spain 4th
Monaco 4th
Canada 3rd
Europe 3rd
Great Britain 3rd

How did they stop him from winning. i could see them not giving him second, but he never would have cought alfanso...it was nice to see him on the top step too. Although when he was back at renault it was alot more entertaining to watch him win. Fantastic GP tho, lots of variables and decision and some key passes in the pits.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Destroyer

Australia 5th
Malaysia 4th
China 3rd
Turkey 2nd
Spain 4th
Monaco 4th
Canada 3rd
Europe 3rd
Great Britain 3rd

There was a comment made during the Valencia GP that last year at this time, Mark Webber had less points than he does now, but was leading the championship. Vettel has this title locked up barring some kind of injury.

Originally Posted by SleeperGSR
Why would kimi be a good fit there? His last season vs massa it seemed like his determination was gone. As we have seen how hard it has been for MSC to come back and be competitive, i highly doubt kimi be back. Sorry never really like him as a driver or his personality, maybe a little bias. I can't immagine why they just wouldn't find new talent to be a support driver for vettle.

Besides do you really think kimi will maintain the gap? He won't be a number 2.
The '09 Ferrari was not a good car. He was the only one that could get any results out of it. Badoer & Fisi looked lost in that car. Kimi is also only 31. He's not old by any means.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SleeperGSR
How did they stop him from winning. i could see them not giving him second, but he never would have cought alfanso...it was nice to see him on the top step too. Although when he was back at renault it was alot more entertaining to watch him win. Fantastic GP tho, lots of variables and decision and some key passes in the pits.
Earlier in the race it was Vettel - Webber. Webber was told by Red Bull not to pass even though he had pace on Vettel, who knows what would have played out if they didnt give him that order.

Quick Reply: The Official Formula 1 2011 season Thread