Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Need help from the guru's! K series DC2. What class should we run??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help from the guru's! K series DC2. What class should we run??

Originally Posted by H25
I appreciate the feedback and the helpful link!
What is the maximum hp level for H2? Are there any weight penalties to run a K series?
We want to keep it a street car, just basic weight reduction, Hp still undecided, No aero.
If we do a more competitive wheel to wheel racing. I wont be the one driving, as previously mentioned we will put an experienced driver behind the wheel. Time attack does sound fun too! Looks like we will be having another sit down to make a decision.
Oh last question... Which of these classes that were mentioned gets the most attention/press?
Guys, I am starting to gain more clarity about this. This is a big help.
Thank you dirty19, prkiller and everyone else for the wisdom!

Why don't you just PM me your number and I'll give you a call and answer most of your questions quickly. Likely provide you with a level of clarity it'll take a long time to get without a quick phone call.

Take care!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 PM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NIKE SB'd
These two points are totally contradicting. Even "dialed back to only 240hp" is wayyyy more than you need to go around a track. If you're serious, I'd take the advice of the guys in this thread, the ones actually running in HC. If not, like they said go dick around at the track in HPDE1 w/ your 300hp monster and see what it's like for a bone stock single cam CRX in HPDE4 to run faster times than you
Let me clarify. I have drag raced on a competitive level for more then a few years. I am new to road racing.

That nature of your remarks are a bit hostile and antagonistic... What gives? Maybe, if you took the time to read my post a little better you would see. That I had mentioned that we're not trying to take over the world. Yes, we have some resources. Yes, we have access to strong K series engines. No need to get bent out of shape about it... If you have fun with your bone stock crx running wheel to wheel. That's cool! We have our own goals.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 PM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by prkiller
Why don't you just PM me your number and I'll give you a call and answer most of your questions quickly. Likely provide you with a level of clarity it'll take a long time to get without a quick phone call.

Take care!
Prkiller. I'm sending you a pm now with my number. Thank you very much for your kindness!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by H25
Let me clarify. I have drag raced on a competitive level for more then a few years. I am new to road racing.

That nature of your remarks are a bit hostile and antagonistic... What gives? Maybe, if you took the time to read my post a little better you would see. That I had mentioned that we're not trying to take over the world. Yes, we have some resources. Yes, we have access to strong K series engines. No need to get bent out of shape about it... If you have fun with your bone stock crx running wheel to wheel. That's cool! We have our own goals.
I believe he was telling you that you have to learn to road race.
Yea i agree the dorking around in hpde.... yada yada yada.. a bit harsh but dont get offended.
Whatever power you used in drag racing doesn't equate to what you have to learn in road racing.
We tell all noobs to start off bone stock and learn to drive the car.
Getting out there with an over HP'd car will get you nothing but trouble.
Your learning curve will be all that much more harder.
RR and Drag are two different creatures.
Hook up with Jeremy(PRKiller) he is the HC director for So Cal.
He'll guide you in the right direction.
One more thing.. an underpowered car with a good driver in it will run circles around a high powered car with inexperienced drivers.
Thats why we also preach plenty track time.. you can never get enough of it, and never get enough coaching.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:17 PM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
I believe he was telling you that you have to learn to road race.
Yea i agree the dorking around in hpde.... yada yada yada.. a bit harsh but dont get offended.
Whatever power you used in drag racing doesn't equate to what you have to learn in road racing.
We tell all noobs to start off bone stock and learn to drive the car.
Getting out there with an over HP'd car will get you nothing but trouble.
Your learning curve will be all that much more harder.
RR and Drag are two different creatures.
Hook up with Jeremy(PRKiller) he is the HC director for So Cal.
He'll guide you in the right direction.
One more thing.. an underpowered car with a good driver in it will run circles around a high powered car with inexperienced drivers.
Thats why we also preach plenty track time.. you can never get enough of it, and never get enough coaching.

You're absolutely right and I couldn't agree with you more. I'm aware the differences between DR and RR. Ive also seen miata's lap M3's. I appreciate all the help. I think I know where you're coming from now. I know my questions sounded noobish. I admit that. We are still doing research and deciding what path will be the best fit!

My friend ran some very impressive numbers at BW. I believe it was sub 2 min. I'd have to ask him again. I'm pretty sure it was. But, he was hooting and hollering about it. That it was a record... Honda civic EF, modded type R swap, slicks, and no aero. Ever since then he got me more interested in RR. We'll see what happens.

I have no intention in building a monster car and putting a noobie maniac behind the wheel and have him spin off the track and maybe endanger his life or anyone elses.... No sir! I have a few buddy's with good RR experience and another friend from the lotus cup who could help in that dept. I doubt I will be doing much driving, If at all. We are just a few friends looking to have some fun and all share in the excitement together one way or another.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like others have said, do you want to do wheel to wheel racing or time trial/time attack? You need to make this decision now as the two do not really work well together. It is possible to run a W2W car in TT, but typically if you build for TT/TA that car will not fit in any form of W2W racing. You then need to figure out which class you want to run; then build your car to fit that class.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

Originally Posted by 96dxB16
Like others have said, do you want to do wheel to wheel racing or time trial/time attack? You need to make this decision now as the two do not really work well together. It is possible to run a W2W car in TT, but typically if you build for TT/TA that car will not fit in any form of W2W racing. You then need to figure out which class you want to run; then build your car to fit that class.
if he were to "build" a "time attack" car there are also points based classes he could run w2w in. might not be competitive given the platform etc.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 AM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Egezzy
if he were to "build" a "time attack" car there are also points based classes he could run w2w in. might not be competitive given the platform etc.
Interesting.... I like the idea of going all out in time attack. But, I have to convince my buddy. I don't want to build a full race car with lexan windows at the moment. I want to keep the car looking like a street car. Build it powerful and fun. Where a talented driver can jump in and do well in a race or run respectable lap times.

I'm starting to think that may not be a reality anymore. Based on what I'm hearing. :/

I will wait to talk to PRkiller and hopefully gain some valuable insight.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H25

Sometimes I come off as a dick, it's probably 50% how I am and 50% lost in internet translation. I mean no hostility what so ever, just simply stating that if you've never road raced before it will be an eye opening experience. A lot of people get the kart in front of the horse and go out with a car they can't possibly drive at the limit, and quite frankly are terrified of. It's much better for learning, and cost, to start with something slower and build your way up. You'll also learn to appreciate the details like carrying momentum and corner exits a lot more in an underpowered car. But in the end it's totally up to you, **** if the car is built might as well take it out But if you're serious about racing, it's not the ideal route.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H25

I will wait to talk to PRkiller and hopefully gain some valuable insight.
Left you a message yesterday btw.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya, its not like drag racing where you can throw g'ma in off the street and tell her to drop the clutch in a 300whp honda and run a good time. Road Racing actually takes some talent.

I suggest you read about different NASA and SCCA classing rules for w2w (requires racing license to compete). If Time Attack or Time Trial is what you're interested in look into NASA TT classification or Redline TA rules.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 PM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sander
OP, You'll be right at home in Time Attack.
Super street lap battle looks like it will be a good fit. We appreciate everyone's input!!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:00 PM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by prkiller
Left you a message yesterday btw.
Sorry, It was a really busy day for me. Calling you back tomorrow!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:21 PM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NIKE SB'd
Sometimes I come off as a dick, it's probably 50% how I am and 50% lost in internet translation. I mean no hostility what so ever, just simply stating that if you've never road raced before it will be an eye opening experience. A lot of people get the kart in front of the horse and go out with a car they can't possibly drive at the limit, and quite frankly are terrified of. It's much better for learning, and cost, to start with something slower and build your way up. You'll also learn to appreciate the details like carrying momentum and corner exits a lot more in an underpowered car. But in the end it's totally up to you, **** if the car is built might as well take it out But if you're serious about racing, it's not the ideal route.

We all do sometimes... It's what happens when you get a bunch of guys that are passionate about the same thing in a room together. No hard feeling's buddy!

Carrying speed in corners and not making a mistake during a timed event are huge factors and will only come with practice and experience.

Kinda feel like I'm beating a dead horse and nobody seems to want to hear what Ive been saying over and over. But, I don't have that much of a desire to race the car myself at the moment. My questions about car classification are noobish but, I'm not when it comes to competition, racing spirit, winning events, and car control.... As I have mentioned previously. I have friends who are talented drivers who can run the car during an event.

I was just asking for some advise about different classes out there and some feedback!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H25
We all do sometimes... It's what happens when you get a bunch of guys that are passionate about the same thing in a room together. No hard feeling's buddy!

Carrying speed in corners and not making a mistake during a timed event are huge factors and will only come with practice and experience.

Kinda feel like I'm beating a dead horse and nobody seems to want to hear what Ive been saying over and over. But, I don't have that much of a desire to race the car myself at the moment. My questions about car classification are noobish but, I'm not when it comes to competition, racing spirit, winning events, and car control.... As I have mentioned previously. I have friends who are talented drivers who can run the car during an event.

I was just asking for some advise about different classes out there and some feedback!
I gotcha, well as the others have said with that motor setup you've pretty much screwed yourself out of any reasonable sanctioned racing, it's just too much. But for time attack you're fine as the rules are much looser, particularly in regards to engine. Bring the car out to Super Lap, we'd love to have you. Rulebook can be found here - http://superlapbattle.com/blog/rules/

You might also find this site somewhat useful - http://www.timeattackforums.com/forums/