Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack (https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/)
-   -   Need help from the guru's! K series DC2. What class should we run?? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/need-help-gurus-k-series-dc2-what-class-should-we-run-2964168/)

H25 07-31-2011 11:48 PM

Need help from the guru's! K series DC2. What class should we run??

Hello fellow racers,

Me and a buddy are thinking about running his DC2 street chassis on the track. Our goal is to have a fun and competitive car to race and gain exposure for our sponsor Logicmotorsports.com.

Not sure what class to aim for. Honda challenge, Nasa, time attack, anything else? I need some feedback from you guru's out there. Here are some facts about the car.

94 GSR 2 door coupe "streetable" approximately 2,200 lbs + or -

Will only be driven on weekends mostly and track days

Logic motorsports built K24 300+whp NA :)

Might cage the car or not, depends on the class

Full suspension and good braking system

Tires are undecided at the moment

Should we run the car for fun at local track days or compete in a class?

Will the HP of my engine bump the car into different class?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Kaan 08-01-2011 03:23 AM

Re: Need help from the guru's! K series DC2. What class should we run??

300+ is going to put you in a very high class. You are probably not legal for HC. It's better topick a "class" and build to it... Not take a built car and guess.

I'd also at least have a roll bar for that mug power and speed

dirty19 08-01-2011 06:33 AM

I think this would be a case of cart before the horse.

You dont list any experience for you and your buddy.
If you have none, then getting on track and competing is a ways off for you two.
I doubt HC would let your run the car in the series, because it has to be built within the rules of HC and I'm betting your beyond H-1 class rules with 300hp.
Time attack might be a better solution im guessing.

Where is this Logic place located? Looks like a mail order parts place instead of a shop.

GI8U2racing 08-01-2011 06:47 AM

Ah, this is a classic thread. "I have this awesome car and want to race!" I assume you have never been on track (no parade laps don't count), so before you pick what class you're going to race in, start up HPDE in whatever you've got. You've got thousands of dollars, dozens of hours, and dozens of seconds per lap to get through becoming a better driver to hopefully get your competition license.

Conclusion: Get the car reliable, get some good pads and fluid, sign up for the next NASA event in your region in HPDE 1

sander 08-01-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by dirty19 (Post 45755672)
Time attack might be a better solution im guessing.

OP, You'll be right at home in Time Attack.

vbspec 08-01-2011 11:18 AM

yeah there is no HC class that a 300 HP K-engine is legal

prkiller 08-01-2011 11:47 AM

Unless you have more money than you know what to do with, here is what I'd suggest (if you are serious about learning to track the car).

Pull the 300HP K series motor and sell it!
Use those funds to build a K20a3 motor and pop that in there.

Then use the rest of the money and sign up for HPDE1 with NASA at your next available event near you.
Work up through HPDE and get your competition license.
Then run the car in H2!

It might sound like a lot of fun to run a 300FWD car at the track, but it won't be for long! One missed shift, all the expense in maintenance, you won't have fun for long!

It really boils down to how serious you are about learning to race! If you just want to dick around at the track, take it as is and run it in HPDE. You'll have fun and get it out of your system and move onto something else.

If you get hooked or already are hooked like so many of us, then going the route I suggested above will GREATLY enhance your experience at the track!

dirty19 08-01-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by prkiller (Post 45757643)
Unless you have more money than you know what to do with, here is what I'd suggest (if you are serious about learning to track the car).

Pull the 300HP K series motor and sell it!
Use those funds to build a K20a3 motor and pop that in there.

Then use the rest of the money and sign up for HPDE1 with NASA at your next available event near you.
Work up through HPDE and get your competition license.
Then run the car in H2!

It might sound like a lot of fun to run a 300FWD car at the track, but it won't be for long! One missed shift, all the expense in maintenance, you won't have fun for long!

It really boils down to how serious you are about learning to race! If you just want to dick around at the track, take it as is and run it in HPDE. You'll have fun and get it out of your system and move onto something else.

If you get hooked or already are hooked like so many of us, then going the route I suggested above will GREATLY enhance your experience at the track!

:truth:... seen too many K's implode. Even from very gifted drivers.
Very expensive to maintain and rebuild.
:truth:

KIWI 08-01-2011 08:05 PM

Yep! They do tend to do that.....
I was suposed to make an apperance at the Time Attack thingy at Cali Speedway last Saturday driving Ryan Novaks cool 300+HP EK Civic. Unfortunately the new motor done blowd up! on the Dyno on Thursday!
I was really looking forward to it! I even lost a few lbs so I could get into my Driving suit :)

Kiwi

dirty19 08-01-2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by KIWI (Post 45760518)
Yep! They do tend to do that.....
I was suposed to make an apperance at the Time Attack thingy at Cali Speedway last Saturday driving Ryan Novaks cool 300+HP EK Civic. Unfortunately the new motor done blowd up! on the Dyno on Thursday!
I was really looking forward to it! I even lost a few lbs so I could get into my Driving suit :)

Kiwi

Wow on the dyno?
I need to shed a few pounds too Jeff.
My suits are a little on the tight side. :P

92integraVTECgsr 08-01-2011 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by GI8U2racing (Post 45755742)
(no parade laps don't count)

HAHA! I've heard so many say that thinking they've actually been on track.

pasaunde 08-02-2011 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by H25 (Post 45754939)
Should we run the car for fun at local track days or compete in a class?

Will the HP of my engine bump the car into different class?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Sign up for a few HPDE's preferablely with NASA or some other cub that has racing that same weekend. You will quickly discover things about the car and yourself to help with the decision. That Hp/wt will put deep into the "super car" classes with Time Trials.

Good Luck

dirty19 08-02-2011 09:42 AM

How come i have the feeling this was an advertisement for their "sponsor"?

Kaan 08-02-2011 10:26 AM

I <3 K20A3... $300-500 used ;)

Dont push the K too far and you'll be fine... at least thats what i keep telling myself.

sander 08-02-2011 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kaan (Post 45763995)
I <3 K20A3... $300-500 used ;)

Exactly.

H25 08-02-2011 07:58 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the great replies! My friend and I have some experience on the track. Been to spring mountain (which was very executive and a memorable experience), buttonwillow and such.

We can dial back the power on the k24 if we need to... We also have a K20 swap from logic motorsports. I think we can get that to a reliable 240-260whp.

What engine do you think would help us obtain the best results? A k24 with a lot of tq and something we don't need to rev to the moon. Or a higher reving k20 with substantially less torque. Both tranny's will have a suitable final drive for the power band.

We thought about time attack and does sound fun! But, It also sounds pricey if you want to stay competitive.

I like to think we have a good support team with very talented individuals that are willing to help us from setting up the car to driving. I don't mind who drives the car. I enjoy the building and fine tuning process. We are not rich or loaded with money. We just have a good opportunity to build a fun car. No matter what direction we go. It's all about having fun and hopefully making new friends! :)

This is just the start of our journey, Sorry if we sound like a bunch of noobs. LoL

dirty19 08-02-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by H25 (Post 45767938)
Hey guys, thanks for all the great replies! My friend and I have some experience on the track. Been to spring mountain (which was very executive and a memorable experience), buttonwillow and such.

We can dial back the power on the k24 if we need to... We also have a K20 swap from logic motorsports. I think we can get that to a reliable 240-260whp.

What engine do you think would help us obtain the best results? A k24 with a lot of tq and something we don't need to rev to the moon. Or a higher reving k20 with substantially less torque. Both tranny's will have a suitable final drive for the power band.

We thought about time attack and does sound fun! But, It also sounds pricey if you want to stay competitive.

I like to think we have a good support team with very talented individuals that are willing to help us from setting up the car to driving. I don't mind who drives the car. I enjoy the building and fine tuning process. We are not rich or loaded with money. We just have a good opportunity to build a fun car. No matter what direction we go. It's all about having fun and hopefully making new friends! :)

This is just the start of our journey, Sorry if we sound like a bunch of noobs. LoL

All racing no matter what you run gets pricey.
motors, brakes, transmissions...
nothing on your car lasts forever.
Sooner or later something will go.

H25 08-02-2011 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by dirty19 (Post 45768198)
All racing no matter what you run gets pricey.
motors, brakes, transmissions...
nothing on your car lasts forever.
Sooner or later something will go.

Very true... We are not trying to take over the world. When it comes to competition and racing. This is not our first rodeo. :P

Don't worry guys. I will post some pics after we get the plan sorted out!

Forgive my ignorance, Couldn't seem to find info about HPDE? Can someone be kind enough to provide a link? :)

Let's see if I got the current choices right....

HPDE, NASA Honda challenge, and Time attack?

chad 08-03-2011 04:45 AM

i wanna know why i am not blowing up K's....

k20a 8500 rev's for 5000 miles
k24/20 8300 revs for 1000 miles...
k24 8300 revs for 500 miles...

all those are racing miles and i don't have a done blowd up k.....

dirty19 08-03-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by H25 (Post 45768958)
Very true... We are not trying to take over the world. When it comes to competition and racing. This is not our first rodeo. :P

Don't worry guys. I will post some pics after we get the plan sorted out!

Forgive my ignorance, Couldn't seem to find info about HPDE? Can someone be kind enough to provide a link? :)

Go to NASA's website.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/

You can read about everything there.
Honda Challenge will be a no go for you because of the rated hp of your car.
If you tone it down to H1 or H2 specs you can run it eventually but you have to get a competition license first.
Read the CCR's for the classing and rules.

prkiller 08-03-2011 08:29 AM

You need to answer one question first.

What is your end goal?
Time attack is VERY different from Honda Challenge. Wheel to wheel racing can be much more intense and longer running than Time Attack.
For me personally, wheel to wheel competition is so much more fun and challenging.

You need to decide what you want to do in the long run.
If it's just to have some fun and run on the track, then start running HPDE with NASA and see where it develops from there. Hang out with the HC guys, ask questions, get to know the folks, watch the racing, see if it's something you'd like to do yourself.

Time Attack and Time Trial are very similar where you just simply run by yourself and try to put down that fast lap. Very different from wheel to wheel competition.

Only you can decide which one sounds like more fun.
For me, it's a no-brainer choice.

If you decide wheel to wheel is where your heart lies, then you should drop the high HP engines and plop in a H2 spec K20a3 and learn all about car control, running the line, and race craft.
If that doesn't interest you and instead, finding the most HP with the K motor and trying to put it down on the race track while running by yourself to find that fastest lap holds more interest, leave the big HP engine in and start running at the track!

Simple as that really.

I can tell you one thing though.
All that HP is really gonna hurt your learning curve quite a bit. It's WAY better to start in something with less HP!

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

dirty19 08-03-2011 08:53 AM

"I can tell you one thing though.
All that HP is really gonna hurt your learning curve quite a bit. It's WAY better to start in something with less HP!"

You can say that again Jeremy!

If you cant drive the wheels off of it bone stock, more HP will not only inhibit you, but intimidate you!
End result. Wreck!

H25 08-03-2011 10:04 AM

I appreciate the feedback and the helpful link!

What is the maximum hp level for H2? Are there any weight penalties to run a K series?

We want to keep it a street car, just basic weight reduction, Hp still undecided, No aero.

If we do a more competitive wheel to wheel racing. I wont be the one driving, as previously mentioned we will put an experienced driver behind the wheel. Time attack does sound fun too! Looks like we will be having another sit down to make a decision.

Oh last question... Which of these classes that were mentioned gets the most attention/press?

Guys, I am starting to gain more clarity about this. This is a big help.

Thank you dirty19, prkiller and everyone else for the wisdom! :)

Kaan 08-03-2011 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by chad (Post 45769595)
i wanna know why i am not blowing up K's....

k20a 8500 rev's for 5000 miles
k24/20 8300 revs for 1000 miles...
k24 8300 revs for 500 miles...

all those are racing miles and i don't have a done blowd up k.....

magic dust!

my first A3 isnt even in yet and i'm planning the second motor lol

NIKE SB'd 08-03-2011 11:34 AM

When it comes to competition and racing. This is not our first rodeo. :P

These two points are totally contradicting. Even "dialed back to only 240hp" is wayyyy more than you need to go around a track. If you're serious, I'd take the advice of the guys in this thread, the ones actually running in HC. If not, like they said go dick around at the track in HPDE1 w/ your 300hp monster and see what it's like for a bone stock single cam CRX in HPDE4 to run faster times than you :)