Good Method of Painting Interior Plastics? **NOT A RICER THREAD PLEASE READ**

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (SneezinCD5)

SneezinCD5,
How long's it been since you did yours?
How many coats did you use?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SneezinCD5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I did wrap the headliner in black suede though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
From head to toe
Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used dumpli colour enamel paint (semi gloss) it matchs stock black VERY well. applied plastic primer before painting.

it does not hold up well over time. but will work for a "fix till its sold" type of deal

same goes for Dupli Color vinyl coatings. it looks good and holds up to temps, but doesnt hold up to the daily abuse of my arm touching it.. lol

SEM stuff sounds good....
Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so after you guys painted the dash can you still put this stuff on it with no problem???
Old 11-23-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: (integra_661)

can somebody post a pic of the paint they use, thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (project93cpe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project93cpe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can somebody post a pic of the paint they use, thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sh!tsWEAK!)

^^^ thats the stuff right there

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doubleshotz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SneezinCD5,
How long's it been since you did yours?
How many coats did you use?

From head to toe
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Over a year and no problems yet. I did about 4 light coats, until I had the coverage that I wanted.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra_661 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so after you guys painted the dash can you still put this stuff on it with no problem???
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have never used it on mine, I just wipe it down with a damp rag to clean it. i wouldn't recomend using it.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool thanks for the info anyone have pics on how this stuff came out on hard plastic?? and im seeing that they also is a sem clear coat did you guys use that as well ???

Modified by integra_661 at 1:01 AM 11/25/2007
Old 11-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks pretty good, how does this hold up over time though?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra_661 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool thanks for the info anyone have pics on how this stuff came out on hard plastic?? and im seeing that they also is a sem clear coat did you guys use that as well ???
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never used any SEM clear coat. I was more than happy with the finish I got straight out of the can.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8 944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks pretty good, how does this hold up over time though?</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is the 3rd interior I've dyed using this product and haven't noticed any problems yet. I dyed my interior back in May, and she sat out in the open sun over the summer countless times, 100+ degree days, with no fading, chipping, cracking or anything. Still looks like the day I dyed it! I'm telling you, SEM is good ****, I swear by it!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sh!tsWEAK!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sh!tsWEAK! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've never used any SEM clear coat. I was more than happy with the finish I got straight out of the can.

This is the 3rd interior I've dyed using this product and haven't noticed any problems yet. I dyed my interior back in May, and she sat out in the open sun over the summer countless times, 100+ degree days, with no fading, chipping, cracking or anything. Still looks like the day I dyed it! I'm telling you, SEM is good ****, I swear by it! </TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you ive been waiting like 2 days for someone to reply but in those two days i have went to like 7 stores and they are sold out i even drove like 70 miles to see if they had it and no luck ima cry
Old 11-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it seems promising, i just dont want to do my interior and 1-2 years down the road it begins chipping apart.

does anyone else have imput on long term wear/tear on this?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sh!tsWEAK! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This is the 3rd interior I've dyed using this product and haven't noticed any problems yet. I dyed my interior back in May, and she sat out in the open sun over the summer countless times, 100+ degree days, with no fading, chipping, cracking or anything. Still looks like the day I dyed it! I'm telling you, SEM is good ****, I swear by it! </TD></TR></TABLE>

is your car daily driven? how does it hold up to wear and tear? have you tried to knick/scratch it?

i've always wanted black interior on my 6th gen.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ8 944)

im painting my interior black with that sem black looks really good took me a week to try to find, its worth the search i heart sem paint
Old 12-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (project93cpe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project93cpe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can somebody post a pic of the paint they use, thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

working link plz
Old 12-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Quad-Damage)

damn this stuff looks good but unfortunately i well need to get a new dash there was so much **** to take off the i got frustrated and started to break **** but here is a peak

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

working link plz</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shitsweak!

what kind of wheel is that.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:09 AM
HT's TOP CHEF

Default Re: (IP RACING)

Yeah I have'nt heard anything but good things about SEM. As a matter of fact I'm doing my dash and door panels tonight. I ordered my stuff throgh a company called Eastwood. They have the full lineup. Good luck man.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:05 PM
HT's TOP CHEF

Default Re: (Chef Andre)

I just did my armrest and my door panel grills. Here are some pics.

I started off by taking the arm rest apart to avoid overspray

Then I just wiped it down with some mild soap and water. Others would probably recommend degreaser or something.
I used this stuff for the armrest, grills and door panels but won't use it on the dash because it's actual vinyl.

I then wiped that off with a clean cloth and then applied the paint. I also used the SEM Landau black and I used three coats on everything.

This is the aftermath. This stuff does dry really quick too and looks great!!!

Sorry for the thread jack. Just thought everyone should see the actual process. I'll start my own thread when I do the dash because SEM recommends a different prep for the dash.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's a quick how-to I picked up for Vinyl Dye, when I did my xbox 360 controller.

Make quick passes, do NOT try to get it solid black in one coat. Unlike spray paint this stuff actually causes a chemical reaction with the plastic, causing the color to be absorbed into the plastic itself (which is why I chose this over regular paint which fades and rubs off fairly easily).

This means two things.

1. If you overspray it will be nearly impossible to correct your mistake properly, as there is no layer of paint to sand down, you will be sanding almost directly onto the original surface.
2. The parts will be vulnerable to damage until they cure. You can literally take your fingernail and scoop soft plastic right off the surface just after you spray them. So BE CAREFUL!

That being said, make a LIGHT pass, hold the piece for about 30 seconds, set it down, do the next piece, hold it for 30 seconds, set it down, rinse/repeat until all the parts have been VERY lightly coated. You should still see plenty of white, this is fine.

Now, start with the first piece again, give it another very light coat. Very light, keep the nozzle about a foot and a half away from the part.

If you smell heavy fumes please, STOP, this stuff will make you very sick, worse than spray paint. Get a ventilator or move to a better ventilated area if need be, don't mess with this stuff.

Once you go through a second coat on all the parts...go for another one. After the third coat you should be down to touch-ups. Make sure you spray along the seams, there are gaps between the parts and if you don't get the seams properly you will be able to see white when you look at it.

Also pay attention to the inner neck of the joysticks, you have to intentionally spray in there (CAREFULLY!), they won't pick up enough dye just from you spraying the surface.

Once you have your third coat and touch-ups done, let it dry/cure for about 20 minutes, then find a well lit area and go over the parts, make sure you coated them properly, make sure no white shows through.

Once you are satisfied, you can reassemble it. Just reverse the steps outlined above in the disassembly.

This is rather simple and there is only one trick to it.

The rumble motors are only secured in place by being sandwiched between the two halves of the controller. But you have buttons in one half, and rumble motors in the other...gravity being the harsh mistress that she is it can be a PITA to get these to play nice.

Tape to the rescue!

Use a piece of masking tape or scotch tape, do NOT use a really sticky kind of tape (duct tape and five are both right out!), and insert the face buttons (back, start, guide, a,b,x,y) into the front half of the shell, then place tape over them, thus preventing cruel gravity from yoinking them out from under you.

Now simply position the rumble motors on the bottom half properly (the two plastic ridges should be about evenly spaced on the insulator wrapped around the motor) and plop the front half of the shell down on top of it, it takes a bit of wiggling to get everything to go happily back together, and a little bit of force too, but don't be hasty, if its not going, don't force it, take it apart and see if anything is wrong. Patience may save you a $50 controller.

Thats it. Simply put the screws back in, let it cure for about 24 hours, by then it should stand up to even the toughest gameplay.

Enjoy your spanky new black controller!

Last edited by toyomatt84; 12-30-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what about the interior for a 200 volkswagen Jetta?
i have a black dash with grey seats and door panels and what not, i want ALL black , but the color of the dash which i think is leather is kinda flat black....
Does SEM make this?
Old 12-07-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: (TeggieeTuner)

Thanks to the OP for this. I was ready to start trackin down Black peices for my interior. My DD Ranger has turned into a small project, nothin major, just hate the Grey interior. Black with Suede headliner, sunvisors and armrest, with my painted color matched interior peices ftw.

Any auto place should sell SEM right?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ThatGuy(SW))

wow that stuff works awesome
Old 12-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra_661 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn this stuff looks good but unfortunately i well need to get a new dash there was so much **** to take off the i got frustrated and started to break **** but here is a peak

]</TD></TR></TABLE>

looks good
Old 12-09-2007, 12:16 PM

nice pics. so just clean the dash and spray? 3 coats on the dash?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SiR Koopa)

Has anyone tried using any other color besides black? I want to spray my tan pieces in red.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (big pete)

I actually used grey too but decided to just go all black. They all work the same though.

Quick Reply: Good Method of Painting Interior Plastics? **NOT A RICER THREAD PLEASE READ**