Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

Q45 retrofit, now what hid kit to get

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q45 retrofit, now what hid kit to get

Hey, new to this retrofit stuff. Ordered a set of q45 projectors and now need a hid kit. From what i have gathered so far i now will need d2s bulbs. If i order a q45 hid kit that is not plug and play, is there any problems i should expect to run into? Thanks
Old 11-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Q45 retrofit, now what hid kit to get

You bought projectors to retrofit them right? There will be absolutely nothing "plug and play" about retrofitting them to your car. You will have to extensively modify your headlight housing to even mount the projectors in them. Its a lot of work to get them aimed correctly and even more to make the headlights look like the projectors "belong" in them.

I would never recommend any HID kit. You bought OEM HID projectors, use OEM bulbs and ballasts. All that chinese garbage you can buy is junk. If you just want the look and don't care how poor the quality or performance of your headlights are then go for it but if you actually give a **** about upgrading your lights for performance reasons use quality parts. In order to do it correctly you will also need a relay harness specifically made for your car. But yes, they use D2S bulbs/ballasts.

If you haven't already, I suggest you check out hidplanet and do some reading.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by rollinmyda
I would never recommend any HID kit. You bought OEM HID projectors, use OEM bulbs and ballasts. All that chinese garbage you can buy is junk. If you just want the look and don't care how poor the quality or performance of your headlights are then go for it but if you actually give a **** about upgrading your lights for performance reasons use quality parts. In order to do it correctly you will also need a relay harness specifically made for your car. But yes, they use D2S bulbs/ballasts.
i dont think some idoit would buy Q45 projectors and not care about quality or performance. but anythings possible.

You bought OEM HID projectors, use OEM bulbs and ballasts.

problems will include but are not limited too: cutting, sanding, JB welding, aligning, using a heat gun/oven, and silicone putty.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 accord typeR
i dont think some idoit would buy Q45 projectors and not care about quality or performance. but anythings possible.
I would tend to agree but some people who don't have experience with HIDs seem to be under the impression that kit bulbs/ballasts are "as good" as OEM parts when in reality they are far from the same quality. There is a reason they're so cheap...

When I bought my current daily it had a set of ebay HIDs in it and the things were garbage. Sometimes they would take several times to fire and any time my rpms lowered (like at a stoplight) at least one of them would start flickering like a strobe light. Needless to say, they were replaced immediately with the correct halogen bulbs.

I don't mean to come off as harsh or condescending at all. Everyone who gets into retrofitting has to start somewhere. That's why I suggested taking a look at hidplanet, that site is the best source for information about every aspect of retrofitting and I found it extremely helpful when I started.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will check out the oem q45 setup and see what i can do. Also looking at a d2s bulb kit from retrofit source, has anyone had experience with their kits, or are they just over priced junk?

Also im not talking about plug and play with projector lens itself, im not that bad, lol. Thanks for your input guys. Will keep reading through those forums you recommended.

Last edited by Evan214; 11-05-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evan214 , If you are not going OEM route . Just remember to get the D2 bulb adapter so you can run any aftermarket ballast with your D2 bulb
Old 11-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use an LED kit - that would be even more sick.