Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a bad main relay cause these things to happen??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a bad main relay cause these things to happen??

I'm finishing up putting my 94 civic vx w/stock jdm b16 in. When I purchased the car it was a completely stripped chassis. Since then I've bought a used main body harness, engine harness, etc. off of someone here on board. But those wires came from a 95 si. not sure if that makes a difference...

well to get to the point I'm done wiring the car. Everything is in place, all the grounds are grounded, ecu is a p72...

weird things that happen...let me know if this is because of the main relay

1.) when i connect the battery the first thing that happens even before putting in the key is the rear brake lights are constantly on...i don't have a dimmer switch at the moment. could it be that??

2.) when trying to start the car, i have the key on the second click trying to prime the fuel pump...but i don't hear it, while this is happening the tach is going crazy, it stays at around 3-4 grand without the car even being on...

3.) i am throwing a check engine light. but when I try to check it, it doesn't read...

I've replaced almost ever fuse (that needed to be), checked over all the wiring to make sure there are no crimps or cuts. all the grounds are grounded, everything is plugged in correctly. it seems like the only thing that could be left is the main relay...but would it really cause all these things to happen?

lastly i tried to see if the starter would turn the motor...when doing so i hear a lot of clicking (from main relay?) it starts to turn over then stops and all i hear is clicking...the lights on the cluster flicker at the same time.

SOMEONE HELP ME!!! I've been going through this for the past 2-3 days and I'm almost about to give up....

sorry that its a repost...but i really need this solved
Old 01-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a bad main relay cause these things to happen?? (dkim48)

Honestly, it sounds like an engine grounding problem, perhaps the ground from the engine harness to the thermostat housing, or the ground from the transmission to the passenger framerail? Also, I assume the engine harness and complete car harness are from the same Si?

Old 01-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a bad main relay cause these things to happen?? (locash)

yeah the wire harness is from the si. i have another one from the motor (usdm). all the grounds are there...maybe i need to clean them up?