Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will 1990 Integra engine fit in a 1993 civic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will 1990 Integra engine fit in a 1993 civic?

My dad just got a 1993 civic for free, but he's probably looking to put a newer engine in it (with less mileage). At the same time, my friend's uncle is selling a 1990 Integra for parts, but the motor (which has a VTEC head) has only 35,000 miles on it. I (actually my dad), was wondering if the Integra engine would fit into the civic with little or no modification, since they are sisters. I'm not sure of the actually engine code, as I don't know what the older teg's are. Anyway, what would need to be done to make this engine fit? Any else necessary for the ecu or any sensors or anything?
Thanks VERY much
Tim
Old 01-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: will 1990 Integra engine fit in a 1993 civic? (CrazyModGSR)

vbery little modification needed.
you can go to http://www.hasport.com and look at the EGBCC kit that drops a cable tranny's B series motor into a1992-1995 Civic. I think for around $400 its a good deal for you.... there may be a few more minor parts you'll require but that gets the heft of the problems out of the way.

free is GOOD
Old 01-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrazyModGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My dad just got a 1993 civic for free, but he's probably looking to put a newer engine in it (with less mileage). At the same time, my friend's uncle is selling a 1990 Integra for parts, but the motor (which has a VTEC head) has only 35,000 miles on it. I (actually my dad), was wondering if the Integra engine would fit into the civic with little or no modification, since they are sisters. I'm not sure of the actually engine code, as I don't know what the older teg's are. Anyway, what would need to be done to make this engine fit? Any else necessary for the ecu or any sensors or anything?
Thanks VERY much
Tim</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure about the "sisters" comment, the 93+ civic is completely different then the 90-93 Integras were. Change the drivers side mount on the engine and then get 94+ integra mounts and it will fit witout any trouble. Toss the cable tranny and get a hydro one as well. I wouldn't run the LS/Vtec engine, but thats just me. I mean, if you dad is looking for something with low mileage, then I assume he wants reliability. You aren't going to have any reliability with an ls/vtec.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: will 1990 Integra engine fit in a 1993 civic? (Hybrid93Eg)

why no reliability with an ls/vtec?
Old 01-29-2004, 12:03 PM

Pay no attention to his comment. *sheeesh*
Old 01-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: will 1990 Integra engine fit in a 1993 civic? (hondahans)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondahans &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pay no attention to his comment. *sheeesh* </TD></TR></TABLE>

Pay no attention to me if you please. But the fact still remains, the LS bottom end was NOT designed to take the stress of 8krpms. Can it do it? Sure, but not for very long. Its called **** poor rod to stroke ratio. Ever notice how a GSR bottom end is significantly reinforced? Ever wonder why? Perhaps its to help cope with the additional stress that comes from spinning at 8k rpms. Take a look at also at the SOHC Vtec D16Z6. Another enging with a **** poor rod to stroke ratio. Again, you find significant reinforcements on the bottom end to help cope with the stress of high rpms. I don't care who wants to argue, and I am sure there are plenty of LS/Vtec bandwagoners who will, the LS/Vtec or B20/Vtec will NOT last under continue abuse and high rpms. If you ask me, that makes it less reliable then say using a B18C1.

Now go ahead, tell me I am full of crap and how your neighbor built an LS/Vtec that lasted 400,000 miles and spun it to 10k every day 50 times.....
Old 01-29-2004, 06:41 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: will 1990 Integra engine fit in a 1993 civic? (owen_the_soyboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by owen_the_soyboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vbery little modification needed.
you can go to http://www.hasport.com and look at the EGBCC kit that drops a cable tranny's B series motor into a1992-1995 Civic. I think for around $400 its a good deal for you.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good lord that's a lot for the kit. Anywho, we sell the HCP EG-18C kit (shameless plug ) and have it in one of our 95 Civic coupes with a YS1 GSR cable tranny. It's been in there for 3+ years now and still going strong (daily driver car). I've even launched it at the track and it's held up well. The only other things that you need to worry about are motor mounts, brackets (need to also change the timing belt side engine bracket), linkage, and wiring/plugs (from OBD-0 to OBD-1... different electronics). Not just a simple plug & play, as there's quite a bit that needs to be changed over, with OBD-1 electronics and mounts/bracket, in order to work properly
Old 01-30-2004, 02:31 PM

Default Re: will 1990 Integra engine fit in a 1993 civic?

I've heard thats its possible to use a OBD 0 computer and harness(90-93 int. stuff).
Is this possible?? I have a whole running '91 integra ls 5sp and I can take everything out to do the swap into my '92 civic hatch. Now what about the gauges and stuff inside the civic?? will that still plug into the harness or will it all have to come out of the integra?? guages, etc?? not that this would matter if I can make it fit, cuz dx guages ******* blow, how can u have a 5sp with no tach?? thats so gay.
I have extensive mechanical and electrical knowledge to do this, just not sure if it can be done, any info would be appreciated.