Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Chassis and Engine Would You Choose, If You Had it To Do Over Again...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Chassis and Engine Would You Choose, If You Had it To Do Over Again...

I have owned many Hondas/Acuras in the past and I really like them all. My ultimate Honda would probably be a 92-95 hatch with a B18C5 swap. I also like to 1988-1991 CRX and Civic SI's, and 1996-2000 hatch as well. I can't decide?!?!

Those experienced with hybrids, what would you choose if you had a chance to do it all over again? Let's get some suggestions for best chassis and engine combo. Maybe in three price categories:
1. Ultimate, no expense spared (10K and up)
2. Reasonable (5K-10K)
3. Cheap (Under 5K)

Also, drag vs. roadrace combo's.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2002, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What Chassis and Engine Would You Choose, If You Had it To Do Over Again... (DOHCVTECRULES)

if i had to do it again
i wouldnt.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:19 PM

Default Re: What Chassis and Engine Would You Choose, If You Had it To Do Over Again... (KAMiN)

No kidding, the total investment must add up to be a lot! With that same amount of money one could buy a much better car.

But, I like the stealth look of a Honda Civic. It can also bring great satisfaction to beat much faster vehicles (Camaro, Mustang, WRX, etc.) with an econo box. And, if the exterior look is not RICE then it can also be a conservative, economical, and reliable means of transportation.

Plus, it can be an on-going project and the cash outlay can be spread out over time -- as compared with buying a better, more expensive car to begin with.

Come on guys, lets hear some suggestions.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:48 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What Chassis and Engine Would You Choose, If You Had it To Do Over Again... (DOHCVTECRULES)

I have owned a 92 civic with a B18c5, and its definately a fun car, but if u want the ultimate honda setup (affordable that is) go with a little boost... to answer yer questions......BTW, read my signature, and u will see i ave had a selection late;y, and u will ALSO see that i keep swithcing back to 92-95's, cause, well they are just a great overall car, and fun to play with

1. Ultimate, no expense spared (10K and up)....Do what i did, find a cheap and good shape 5th gen Honda Civic .. get a motor, buiild it with good parts and dont cut corners, and throw a little boost onto that motor... if yer gonna spend on or over 10k, u mind as well go boost, and have a little fun...

2. Reasonable (5K-10K).... Again, get a 92-95 civic, bacse there relatively cheaper.. and i would get an ITR swap or even a semi built LSVtec..that setup should run u anywhere from 5-7k alltogether...and is also fun for the street and retains a managable daily driver as well...

3. Cheap (Under 5K)...this will be a little harder to find a car to fit the bill.. Either find a good shape 88-91, or if lucky enough, a relatively cheap 92-95. and throw a stock b16 swap in there, and that should run you under about 5k when all said and done...

Hope this was helpful for u........good luck
Old 09-27-2002, 07:06 PM

Default Re: What Chassis and Engine Would You Choose, If You Had it To Do Over Again... (KAMiN)

if i had to do it again
i wouldnt.
ditto.

would've just boughten a grand national
Old 09-27-2002, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No kidding, the total investment must add up to be a lot! With that same amount of money one could buy a much better car.

But, I like the stealth look of a Honda Civic. It can also bring great satisfaction to beat much faster vehicles (Camaro, Mustang, WRX, etc.) with an econo box. And, if the exterior look is not RICE then it can also be a conservative, economical, and reliable means of transportation.

Plus, it can be an on-going project and the cash outlay can be spread out over time -- as compared with buying a better, more expensive car to begin with.

Come on guys, lets hear some suggestions.
I can honestly say, i learned SO much from doing a swap and tinkering with it but if i had the chance, i wouldnt do it again.
its too much time/hassle/headaches.
granted, once its in mine has been running almost percect for a year. but it just cost too much damn money.
for what ive spent on it i could have bought a new car.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:22 AM

To do it all over again, hmm. The Car I use to drag with is pretty much stock and was an investment of hmm somewhere in the neighorhood of $250.oo But if I were to become real heavy in Upgrades and power. I would take my 57 Bel Air 2 door and swap to a Fiber race body, and run a 427 BB and top it with something from the Paxton Lineup. I cant see pouring 10k to 20k into a car that was bought for $250.oo I would spend that money on a real drag car.

Dont get me wrong that $250.oo Prelude is about the most exciting thing in my life spec when I bring home trophies with it. Honestly I like running import for drag, if for no other reason than its cheap and fun. And the car was cheap I will run it til It dies then have it crushed, and hang a pic of it next to my trophies it brought me.

I have a 91 Prelude on the way that I am paying $200 for due to damage, and will prob be putting the engine from it into my 85 prelude. I dont care much for the 91 due to it having AWS. I will sell the whole car as is or just strip it and sell it part by part, and crush the rest. It may be a 92, i havnt seen a 91 with AWS but only going by the data plate.

This Aint Yo Momma's Honda

[Modified by Merlin1068, 4:26 AM 9/28/2002]
Old 09-28-2002, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Put that money down on a Lotus Elise.
2. del Sol, B18C1 swap
3. CR-X B18A1 swap

Although, if you don't make mistakes, you can't learn from them.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

10k up - 87 CRX Si w/ F20 engine w/ Integra (RSX) type R transmission.

5 - 10K - 88 Integra with sleeved B16 and a turbo.

under 5K - I am thinking for the $2003 challenge next year building an 88 Integra powered 85 CRX Si. With a 75 shot of Nitrous I think I can smoke everyone bad.

What can I say, I like the sleeper concept and want a fast 1st gen something. Unless you lower it too low is really hard to screw up the handling on those cars. Also their light weight makes them good on the strip.

brian g